Evening dining Celebrity Alaska

kayehall

Departure times while in port are much later than the Caribbean, which I am more familiar with.  How does this affect the evening dining time?  I am thinking that people return to the ship later and the dining room is crowded later in the evening.  Any thoughts?

In my experience the dining rooms have always been full and the buffet was busier than any other destination. Alaska excursions tend to be earlier during the day and although your ship may be in port till 8 or 9 pm most travelers don't stay off the ship that late. 

Patty 

It really depends on what time of year you're sailing, and how close to Summer Solstice. We sailed the 2nd week of June last year when the sun didn't set until quite late in the evening. On days when the ship was in port after 5 pm, the dining room (Luminae) was quiet before about 8 pm, then jam packed after that. Same in specialty dining & OV Cafe. 

Please don't over think this issue.

We have done at least ten Alaska itineraries on Celebrity.  Even though we live in Alaska these itineraries give us an excuse to visit a different part of our very large state.  We don't dine in the MDR but instead are in more frequently Luminae and occasionally Blu.  We tend to dine late.  I've never found either Luminae or Blu particularly crowded later.  

Alaska itineraries tend to attract multi-generational families.  The new changes to the Ocean View Cafe may impact families.  Another factor is that a number of folks want to eat Alaska seafood, and it seems to me that more folks dine on shore before returning to the ship than would do so on Caribbean itineraries.

2 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Please don't over think this issue.

We have done at least ten Alaska itineraries on Celebrity.  Even though we live in Alaska these itineraries give us an excuse to visit a different part of our very large state.  We don't dine in the MDR but instead are in more frequently Luminae and occasionally Blu.  We tend to dine late.  I've never found either Luminae or Blu particularly crowded later.  

Alaska itineraries tend to attract multi-generational families.  The new changes to the Ocean View Cafe may impact families.  Another factor is that a number of folks want to eat Alaska seafood, and it seems to me that more folks dine on shore before returning to the ship than would do so on Caribbean itineraries.

Yes, I was mainly concerned with the proposed Ocean View Cafe changes.  I wouldn't worry about the MDR hours if I knew the cafe would still be open late.  Thanks eveyone!!!

16 minutes ago, kayehall said:

Yes, I was mainly concerned with the proposed Ocean View Cafe changes.  I wouldn't worry about the MDR hours if I knew the cafe would still be open late.  Thanks eveyone!!!

Kaye:  The number of folks who will be dining onshore may surprise you.  Folks really want fresh Alaska seafood -- even though a number folks don't realize much of it is freshly frozen Alaska seafood.  I am always stunned at the lines in Juneau for Tracy's Crab Shack, which I think is highly overrated.  When I express that opinion (that Tracy's is overrated) on the Alaska CC forum it seems to stun some folks.  Given the closure of some crab fisheries (due to collapsing crab stocks) this upcoming year, I wonder how some of the SE Alaska restaurants which suggest (the language can be "creative") they are serving fresh king crab will respond.

Gerry