Silver Origin Machu Picchu pre cruise extension

TiTi

We have our first cruise with SilverSea booked for March 4 to the Galapagos on Silver Origin. We also paid for the pre cruise extension with them to Machu Picchu. Coincidentally, in December a work colleague of mine was stuck in Machu Picchu for a week when the protests started. She had a very difficult time getting home. I most certainly don’t want that stress to happen to us. My travel agent contacted Silver Sea but they will not refund us the cost of the pre trip. They say it is going ahead. 

So I guess my question to the Silver Sea frequent cruisers is how confident can I be that Silver Sea will take good care of us if we are in the middle of this Peru extension and something happens. At what point will they make a decision to cancel the pre trip and refund us? Does anyone have any experience with them and a similar situation ?

I posted on this topic a couple of weeks ago.  At that time the US State Department had just issued a a level 3 warning on traveling to Peru.  You might want to check if that is still in effect.  The protests had occupied several airports including Cusco and other jumping of points to Machu Picchu so there there wasn't a choice, you didn't go.

Evidently the situation has improved and getting there and back is possible.  Someone said in my original thread that the US Consulate is usually a good source of information.  Also, I find it hard to fathom that SS would lead you into a "hot war zone".  That would be an extraordinary bad business decision.  

I personally would go.   The same type of situation is confronting travelers more and more these days.  And there is going to be a small amount of risk wherever you go (e.g. would you go to Jerusalem right now?).  Good luck.

We are travelling to Quito and on to Galapagos the week after TiTi and we have planned a Macchu Picchu extension (not with SS) with a couple of additional days in Peru.  I am "keeping the faith" and believing it will all happen it is still weeks away and things can change really quite quickly, hopefully in this case change for the better.  

I have been reading the Sapphire Princess roll call for their January 14 Machu Picchu extension. That’s in 5 days and it seems there is much confusion about whether their tour is going ahead or not. My understanding is that the MP rail line has been shut down again and Princess still hasn’t cancelled the tour?

Wow. I really hope SilverSea doesn’t leave their decision that long before my tour. It’s turning what should be happy excitement for a trip into ongoing anxiety.