“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

9 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

Here’s the Sea Lion, the boat owned by our hotel (Finch Bay) - two levels, covered upper and lower with a/c.  The latter was appreciated, during today’s hike I started seeing a few spots from the heat, great to be able to cool down.  Typical day involves sailing about 2 hours to a nearby island, a nature walk, then a swim/snorkel, lunch, and return.  Yesterday we sailed by the Silver Origin in the Puerto Ayora harbor - knowing Silversea’s reputation, it certainly seems it would be a great way to do the Galápagos Islands in a little more depth if one had the time, they do continuous 7-day sailings.

C22DD148-2FE1-4D5A-85A5-09B399CBE56F.thumb.jpeg.9a16876ea79a75d2f135c00b1b53387c.jpeg

C4FF393D-95B1-4BD5-9E4D-9A531AF61DA3.thumb.jpeg.699422c496ba4bb910bb441eda4ff6fb.jpeg

4BAAF823-C1BB-4C20-AAA8-08B29C36FFCB.thumb.jpeg.075f59aa7d895488808d94e32091fc9e.jpeg

Yes, so it! We've done two different 7 day Galapagos cruises and loved every minute of each!

Well, Callao/Lima was just cancelled for Sojourn due to safety concerns. Service call only, to take on fuel, supplies and to bring those pesky Galapagos people back on board 😉 No passenger disembarkation allowed. We’ll leave for Easter Island early. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Well, Callao/Lima was just cancelled for Sojourn due to safety concerns. Service call only, to take on fuel, supplies and to bring those pesky Galapagos people back on board 😉 No passenger disembarkation allowed. We’ll leave for Easter Island early. 

Not surprised.  On tonight's PBS news there was a video of demonstrations and an aggressive police response, in Lima.

The Finch Bay hotel has a resident duck.  He does laps around the pool, and at dinner, he makes the rounds to the nearby outdoor dinner tables, to beg for bread.  Which most people provide.  We’ve taken to calling him Petros II, after a remembrance from a Greek island cruise a decade ago.  If memory serves (no guarantees, happy to have details corrected) there was a pelican (“Petros”, right?) in Mykonos who said, “you know what? This diving-for-fish thing is a lot of work. Maybe I’ll try wandering around the town, becoming a mini-celebrity, going in and out of businesses getting tidbits and having me picture took”.   

Anyway, Petros II sends his regards and reminds all that he likes bread, not rice.

2A05AE9D-DF81-475E-956F-5CC644CB06CC.thumb.jpeg.5754055014c8ac0289b49661e8abb4de.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 7

Yes, they do like bread. We have a mute swan that occupies the stretch of water at the bottom of our garden. He/she (we can't tell) has been rather spoiled by DW and will now only accept the finest artisanal sourdough, rejecting all other breads ( she does also enjoy a diet of lettuce and special swan/duck food).

Actually, we don't 'have' the swan, it just chose to hang out there, belongs to the King.

Edited by Flamin_June
added royal obsequence
  • Like 2

But the long trek back to the ship was less exhilarating. The airport experience around the world just seems (to me anyway) to get more and more frustrating.  Long lines, long waits, seemingly endless layers of security and documentation (yeah, I know…. necessary).  The hike through the National Park was great but hot and humid, and after bussing to Baltra airport, flying back to Guayaquil, bussing to a hotel lunch (which was terrific btw), bussing back to Guayaquil airport, re-checking luggage and immigration stuff, flying to Lima, re-doing immigration stuff yet again…..well, I think most of us were hot and tired and really ready to get back to home base.  Last bus of the day from Lima airport brought us to the pier, but local port authorities blocked our ability to board, the Seabourn staff seemed to be pleading with them, but after getting off the bus we had to stand around on the pier, at about midnight, for 15-20 minutes, before being allowed to access the gangway.  Patience was thin and nerves were shot and tempers were flaring, and understandably.

But here’s where (for me), the whole thing turned around.  Readers might remember my silly Sauternes story (more than once), and remember that I reported that it was out of stock onboard yet again, a week or so ago.  When we finally trudged down the hall and opened the door to our suite just after midnight last night, on the table was a plate of snacks, and…..two glasses of Sauternes.  Utterly brilliant.

• Like 10

And so now, we’ve taken a right turn and are heading west to Easter Island, which is a looooong trek.  As a general rule, we strongly prefer port days to sea days, but with the flurry of activity of the last 3-4 days, we’re rather looking forward to just kicking back and being lazy for a while.  And here’s a pleasant way to start doing just that:     🤣

C3377483-1CB7-41B6-AC7F-4574D2A9338F.thumb.jpeg.556d5ebdac404617bea174cc1162c446.jpeg

• Like 5

Obviously there's no way Seabourn was going to put their passengers off to Peru right now.

How unfortunate. It is such an interesting country, and some of the kindest people I've ever met (been there 6 times!).

On Sojourn in November there were several dining staff on board from Peru, and we struck up a great friendship. Luz, Alfonso, and Maria Elena. They have to be devastated by the current situation.

1 hour ago, twochromic said:

On Sojourn in November there were several dining staff on board from Peru, and we struck up a great friendship. Luz, Alfonso, and Maria Elena. They have to be devastated by the current situation.

And don't forget Gabriel, the barista at the Square!

• Like 2