sorry another Miami hotel question..

Donnask8pro

What hotel is closest to Holiday Inn Port of miami? Is there a map of all hotels in the direct area? I would like to stay walking distance to Biscayne shopping ctr (sp?) (not taxi). I assume there are a few right there. Thanks I like the idea of having that right across the street. Any other hotels that may have that great perk? Maybe another shopping center close to it? Also a convienance store is important too. We all know why...LOL

You are in the heart of downtown Miami. There really aren't any shopping centers or convenience type stores that are walking distance. Bayside is a tourist oriented marketplace. The only other "good" hotels nearby are the Intercontinental and the Courtyard. The Riande Continental is closest, but stay at your own risk.

i'm a figure skater. just got back from the arena. good exercise. saw your screen name and had to give my input.

this is my opinion. having recently stayed in the area and having tons of miami departure cruises under my belt, here's the lowdown on the area...

the holiday inn is right across the street at the stoplight from the bayside marketplace. bayside is a very lively, well into the night area that attracts both tourists and locals. lots of music, food places and interesting shopping. if you walked the other way towards the cruise ships, you're at the american airlines arena, where the heat play. if you're only there for one night, you will only have time for bayside, pretty much. it's a big place.

we stayed at that holiday inn a long time ago when it wasn't a holiday inn. the only reason i didn't like it is because we got a room on the bayside side. as i said above, the music goes well into the night, so we heard it loud and clear. i don't know if the windows have changed, but i'd ask for a room on the non bayside side.

i'm not sure how long you're there, but for one night, you could also stay at the marriott biscayne bay. if it's one night, we will always stay at the hyatt on 2nd ave or the marriott just because we travel a lot for business and pleasure and usually use points. i do agree that the courtyard is also a great hotel, but i've never stayed there.

from a personal standpoint, just because we've done that part of miami so many times and we usually will be there for a few days either before or after we cruise, our hotel of choice is the ritz carlton in biscayne bay. we like being away from it all, yet being so close.

hope this helps. have fun.

dkort, did you just start skating? Kudos to you. It gets in the blood. Thanks for all your help. Sounds like the best place in downtown Holiday Inn for things to do. I want to stay close to the port if at all possible. Unless when I go to book flligts and they are outrageous then maybe FLL. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Ü

Hi Donna:

I just started skating again because my daughter is now taking lessons. I've skated for 30 something years.... EEK!

I can tell you from personal experience that we had a bad experience at that Holiday Inn when it used to be called, I think, the Best Western something or the other. Things have definitely changed from what I understand. I have read that many people enjoy the hotel, but from a personal standpoint, I would not stay there. I view hotels from an entirely different standpoint than a lot of people. A lot of people use Priceline. I do not anymore. It's all a matter of personal preference.

When you say "closest" to the port is there any reason why you want to be so close? You are definitely not going to walk to the port, so you'll have to take a cab anyways. All of the hotels that I referred to are no more than a few minutes cab ride. However, the Holiday Inn is literally right across the street from the entrance to Bayside. So if you're coming in the night before and want to walk over there to check it out, then the Holiday Inn would be the place for you.

When we come in the night before, we'll take care of our Walgreens stuff the morning of the cruise. It goes something like this. After we grab a cab with our bags, we'll ask the driver to take us to Walgreens and wait for us outside while we get what we need. Then we hop in the cab and head to the port. The entire downtown area is small and walkable if you're up to it. We just tend to be lazy when we're on vacation and forget the long walks.

Remember you are leaving on a Sat or Sun morning when downtown is empty and quiet. The streets are open. And you know to get to the port either between 10:30 and 11 or 2:30-3, so you're pretty much taking care of last minute stuff early am. I do not recommend the 2:30-3 unless you're pretty experienced and know the ship.

Smart tip: 3:00 ish is a great time to head back to where they take the on board pictures. Most people have gotten on board and it gets quiet so things are not rushed. We always go back and retake at least two pics at this time. My experience is from the RCCL standpoint just because I've cruised with them more than any other ship line. Ask the pic people when you first get on how late they will be taking pics.

Realistically, depending on if you're staying downtown, you need no more than 15 minutes, if that, to get to walgreens and get to the ship from either the Hyatt, Courtyard, Marriott or Holiday Inn. The longest wait you'll have is the line in walgreens - maybe two people and at the three or four stoplights to get you over to the port. Ok, I take that back. When the cab pulls up to the port, sometimes you have to wait a little (maybe two mins) for the porter to come over for your bags. It gets crazy when we go because we're always there early and the passengers from the prior cruise are walking out looking for rides and such while we're getting dropped off.

Oh, this is really funny. A long time ago I had read on some board somewhere (not cruise critic) about the "high" prices of bottled water and such on the ship. Someone recommended taking your own bottled water. The morning of our cruise we headed over to the store, I think walgreens, and picked up a case of bottled water. Of course when we got on the ship, we realized the bottled water wasn't that expensive and it was totally unnecessary to buy and/or bring our own because the ship filters all of their water. We are pretty picky water drinkers and have never had a problem with that. We actually ended up leaving most of the water in our cabin. The only time we really need bottled water is when we are at the gym, so we'll bring one or two bottles and refill.

Moral of story for cruise critic "advice": read 70 percent. pay attention to advice 20%. have fun 100%!

Thank you so much for helping. I am flying in a day early. It sounded so good being able to walk across the street for something to do instead of hanging out in a hotel for much of the day.(depending on flight times). I really don't care where I stay, as long as there is something to do. I am now thinking of flying into MCO and going there for a day. Where would I drop off a rental car if need be? Do you know? Have you ever done this? We also pick up a bottle, six pack or coolers to take on with us in the past. Walgreens is great. Again.. THANK YOU.

Archived