Questions for those who were on 150th anniversary cruise!

Crusin-Suzan

4 hours ago, Crusin-Suzan said:

Going on this second 150th voyage in April!  I have a couple of questions!  What were the celebration in NYC?   Day or evening?   Same question when you were in Rotterdam?   Thanks!    Any other info appreciated 

It's a great cruise.  Coming out of Rotterdam, they had a large contengent of antique ships with steam engines, and some even played caloipies!  The crowds lined up for miles to wave us off.   NYC had a fabulous speaker for days before we entered the port.  Festivities were held the first night in port, but just a show about the history of HAL is all I can remember. The send off was special because the captain spun the boat twice in front of the statue of Liberty.  Enjoy your journey!

• Like 3

The New York celebration included three 'shows' and featured  during the first one, the President of HAL, the head of the Ellis Island Foundation,  Captain Werner Timmers, the mayor of Manhattan, and Lincoln Center Stage playing a newly commissioned piece for the occasion. At the first of the evening, shore-side guests and travel agents were invited to attend.  It was really special!  I believe the other two didn't have all the pomp but did have the music and the Captain.  Not sure what they will do in New York on this sailing.  It may be Rotterdam will have the major celebration.  If Bill Miller is invited back to speak, you will enjoy his sea-day presentations on the history of immigrant crossings, cruise lines, and HAL, etc.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was going to suggest searching for reviews of that "other" 150th Anniversary sailing.  I hadn't thought about looking at the original Roll Call.  Good idea.

Since our sailing is the reverse (FLL-NY-Rotterdam), I'm guessing we'll have some historical presentations about Rotterdam during those sea days.

Really looking forward to it!