Negative antigen test, Toronto to New Orleans?

PatandStu

In reading my ticket through Air Canada Vacations, it looks like we may need a negative antigen test because we’re connecting through Toronto Pearson. Am I reading this wrong? Just adds one more (paid) item to think about before cruising. If anyone has travelled to the US through TO or Vancouver recently, I’d be interested in hearing your experience. 

image.png

I have seen this also, the same mini-screen, that a neg test may be required. We are Canadians, with Cdn passports, living in Canada, and have an Air Canada flight booked from Pearson to Fll, for a cruise, then a return flight FLL to Pearson. 

On the Air Canada hub,,where this wording appears, it is clear that, for the return flight to Pearson, a  neg test is not required. But, for the original flight from Pearson the wording is not as clear and seems to indicate that a neg test may be required. And the wording seems to indicate that this is due to flying out of one of a few designated airports, in this case Toronto Pearson. 

is anyone else seeing this, and coming to the same uncertain conclusion about a neg test that may be required? Or maybe I am reading the words incorrectly?

Or maybe there is clear wording somewhere, and I have not yet found it.

Rather than spending hours on hold with Air Canada, I have asked my ta the question. Surely agencies will have current info! 
I’m also asking about luggage fees-my ticket says $35 plus tax per checked bag. Yet AC Vacations website says free checked bag. Makes a difference financially-2 bags each direction. 

16 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

Rather than spending hours on hold with Air Canada, I have asked my ta the question. Surely agencies will have current info! 
I’m also asking about luggage fees-my ticket says $35 plus tax per checked bag. Yet AC Vacations website says free checked bag. Makes a difference financially-2 bags each direction. 

Re the COVID testing requirement, you may want to check your booking on the Air Canada site. There's a big section called "COVID 19 Entry Requirements" which should be specific to your trip. For our next trip, to FLL in a few weeks, for example the wording is:

image.thumb.png.68b5fddba1944b3a2c88d7abef299f25.png

So it seems that any testing requirements is tied to having been anywhere near the Far East in the last few weeks.

As to your question about bag fees, it MAY depend on your fare class (unless you have a higher Aeroplan status or have a premium card; we never pay bag fees because of this}  IIRC, fare classes Basic and Standard pay the $30 for first checked bag per person. Fare classes Flex, Comfort and Latitude get the first bag free. Perhaps check your ticket/booking to see what fare class you're in. Have a great flight.

8 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

We booked through air Canada vacations and this is what shows up on their website. But my ticket (sent this week) clearly shows a $35 fee. 
Thus my confusion. 

43709AA8-D514-4639-B58B-C7A84BAB1486.png

Typical Air Canada obfuscation ;o)  It does clearly say that regardless of whether you booked a "Vacation" or a "Cruise" the first bag should be free. My only worry would be what the tiny little "1" is against the "FREE 1st checked bag" Did you dig down into the Ts and Cs to see what the 1 refers to?

On 1/8/2023 at 10:27 AM, PatandStu said:

Yes. 

A109C242-2EA6-417D-A392-10E662A2A811.png

Hopefully your TA will come back with good news. The pessimist in me would be worried that their T&Cs point to another set of T&Cs which interestingly enough don't seem to have any mention of different rules for vacations/cruises. Maybe I missed something. What I did see that would concern me is that they have a disclaimer on there about "travelling with a smart bag".
image.thumb.png.0264045e3a410ab14c9f2c9468a4f1ea.png

Will have to double check our Tile trackers. Didn't have a problem with them on either WestJet in Aug or American Airlines in Nov.

7 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

Hopefully your TA will come back with good news. The pessimist in me would be worried that their T&Cs point to another set of T&Cs which interestingly enough don't seem to have any mention of different rules for vacations/cruises. Maybe I missed something. What I did see that would concern me is that they have a disclaimer on there about "travelling with a smart bag".
image.thumb.png.0264045e3a410ab14c9f2c9468a4f1ea.png

Will have to double check our Tile trackers. Didn't have a problem with them on either WestJet in Aug or American Airlines in Nov.

Tile, Air Tags and other similar trackers are CATSA and TSA approved for placement in checked luggage. Lufthansa had a temporary ban on them, since cancelled, and to the best of my knowledge there are no other airlines with a ban. Their CR2032 batteries contain a minuscule amount of lithium, well below FAA and similar limits. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Tile, Air Tags and other similar trackers are CATSA and TSA approved for placement in checked luggage. Lufthansa had a temporary ban on them, since cancelled, and to the best of my knowledge there are no other airlines with a ban. Their CR2032 batteries contain a minuscule amount of lithium, well below FAA and similar limits. 

Don't disagree with you and as I said, I didn't have any problems with them when we travelled recently. That said, nothing would stop an airline person sticking to the exact wording and ask you to remove them or they wont' accept your bags. Good info to know and being prepared. I know where in our suitcases they're attached and I can quickly remove them if push ever came to shove.

11 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

Don't disagree with you and as I said, I didn't have any problems with them when we travelled recently. That said, nothing would stop an airline person sticking to the exact wording and ask you to remove them or they wont' accept your bags. Good info to know and being prepared. I know where in our suitcases they're attached and I can quickly remove them if push ever came to shove.

The Air Canada policy that you have quoted applies to "smart bags". Putting a Tile or an Air Tag in your suitcase doesn't make it a smart bag, which is why airlines allow these trackers to be placed in checked bags.

These articles provide a good idea of what constitutes a smart bag and both recommend trackers such as Air Tags as alternatives to smart bags for the purpose of knowing where you bag is:  https://www.lifewire.com/smart-luggage-4156871https://shepackslite.com/what-is-a-smart-bag/ The safety issue with these bags is the far larger lithium-ion batteries that they use compared to the button CR2032 batteries used by the trackers.

On 1/8/2023 at 5:03 AM, Broon said:

I have seen this also, the same mini-screen, that a neg test may be required. We are Canadians, with Cdn passports, living in Canada, and have an Air Canada flight booked from Pearson to Fll, for a cruise, then a return flight FLL to Pearson. 

On the Air Canada hub,,where this wording appears, it is clear that, for the return flight to Pearson, a  neg test is not required. But, for the original flight from Pearson the wording is not as clear and seems to indicate that a neg test may be required. And the wording seems to indicate that this is due to flying out of one of a few designated airports, in this case Toronto Pearson. 

is anyone else seeing this, and coming to the same uncertain conclusion about a neg test that may be required? Or maybe I am reading the words incorrectly?

Or maybe there is clear wording somewhere, and I have not yet found it.

I also got a “travel ready” email from AC with the very confusing wording. Threw me into a bit of a panic. This is on the CDC website just updated:

Beginning January 5, at 12:01AM ET, there are new requirements for air passengers 2 years of age and older traveling to the United States from China, Hong Kong, or Macau, and those traveling from Seoul, Toronto, and Vancouver who have been in China, Hong Kong, or Macau in the past 10 days. These passengers, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 2 days before their flight departs. Those who had COVID-19 in the 90 days before their travel to the United States can instead show documentation of recovery from COVID-19.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftravelers%2Finternational-travel%2Findex.html

Good job Air Canada mangling the wording to make something clear, unclear!

We are all fine.

Edited by sunviking90