Benefits of insurance for the flight home

MikeMilw2002

Hello,

My wife, daughter and I are 2 star Mariners on HAL.  We are going on a lengthy cruise this March into April. We have premium insurance already set up for this cruise, which includes the flight out (from Milwaukee to Auckland). Coming home, from Sydney, we can also book the flight through Holland, but found that it is more expensive (at least $300  more per flight I believe). We are considering NOT booking the return flight(s) home with Holland due to the cost of the airfare being nearly as much as the cruise.  

Please give us pros and cons of booking the return flight home through HAL vs. doing it ourselves.

If the ship arrives late, which happened to us on the last HAL cruise, then you may miss the flight and HAL would have to help you. Otherwise, book your own and get insurance from the airline. It is usually offered before final flight payment page. 

If you can find a better flight, I would book it. you may find cheaper but also look for better connections and layovers that are not too tight. We always book our own flight (even when HAL cut cruise short in Perth in 2020). There should be plenty of airlines (or partners) that fly Sydney to US. Just give yourself plenty of hours after ship arrives to get to airport- there is international airport separate from donestic (or stay overnight). 

As for insurance I would check with Steve at Tripinsurancestore (he has dedicated posts at top of Forum pages). He can advise on flight insurance based on needs. But also check with the airline or your credit card company.