Carnival versus MSC

asalligo

On 1/11/2023 at 9:29 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That's what I learned as well - however, there was a promo running (perhaps one which runs rarely... or often?) which offered Wi-Fi and drinks for those who booked during a certain time period. Weird, I know !

Tom 

They only stopped to sell drinks packages for less than 5 nights cruises in US by mid December onward after they had what might have been a brawl on one of the ships due to a severely drunken crowd. They'll honor whatever else one may have booked online though till they exist in inventory. No onboard upgrades though.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:17 AM, ready2cruzagain said:

OP thanks for the review. I will find out for myself next week. Have sailed over 50 cruises here, Carnival Platinum, NCL Sapphire, Princess Platinum and have sailed on Celebrity several times. I have been on 10 MSC cruises. 

Will just point out a few things.

MSC is not in charge of Port Canaveral. That is customs and the port authorities so people need to start putting the blame where it belongs. Also, not sure which cruise you were on but was it the one were a passenger went overboard the cruise before you causing the ship to be late to the port and therefore boarding late?

Food is subjective. We love MSC's food. Hated Carnival's when they went to meatloaf, fried chicken, Golden Corral food in the MDR.  Never had a problem with lines, have seen them when walking through the buffet later in the mornings but never bothered us because we don't wait till the last minute to try and get to the buffet.

The shows are shorter, 30 to 40 minutes and quite different. Very unique. 

I have never had a bad cruise and doubt if I will on our b2b next week on the Meraviglia.  Will post a review when I get back. Happy cruising.

This, exactly, many thanks!...

Curiously: The OP states that this was his worst cruise ever, but he actually praises or at least doesn't give a bad rate on whatever else is really MSC service specific, so what's the point?... Maybe; culturally speaking MSC is not for the OP! As some of the others say: MSC is more relaxed cruise line than the likes of CCL/RCI (at least on the Oasis class). Never gone myself on CCL, gone on Oasis class RCI, went for work purposes aboard a Costa ship (which is European CCL) for a day, but there is a thing I know: Want a relaxed cruise to know new destinations? Take MSC. Want a party or special life event celebration? Take at least Oasis class RCI. Want pampering? Oh, well: Take X/Princess or any other upper market line for a longer cruise or the MSC's YC for a shorter one!... My pro tip here? Try to understand the product before booking is key. Booked in knowledge it will be as great as it can be!...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RD64 said:

Perhaps a generalization, but why is it that Americans are so opposed to multiple language announcements? It just reinforces the Xenophobic stereotype. If multi-language announcements are so detrimental to your enjoyment of the cruise, then back to Carnival / RCL / NCL you go.

no I just don't want to hear 10 mins of a simple announcement in 7-8 languages.  Is the disruption not my dislike of other people.  

5 hours ago, styles27 said:

Carnival vs MSC?

Just got off Divina this morning after 2 weeks (an 10 day and an 4 day combined) and the first 10 days was crazy. 
It’s not the crew or the ship that was the problem it was the passengers. I’ve never cruised with such rude and obnoxious people in 40 yrs of cruising. Worse than the worst Carnival pax hands down.
 The majority would run you over to get in or out of an elevator without so much as an excuse me or sorry!

So for us we experienced an MSC cruise that was in line with Carnival. Not better or worse. 
The older I get the less patience I have with ignorant people. 

yea I hear ya but it happens on RCI too.

I think all cruiselines try to do well, but if the prices are really cheap, well then a different crowd goes on the ship I think to drink and party more.  I find the ships that go to place that are port heavy you will find a different crowd.   But then again, the world as a whole has slid downwards in the politness and kindness department.

Should be interesting how MSC does in 2024 and 2025 as they try to make changes to fit USA Market which by the way is not superior in my opinion just best for folks going on first cruise or not having travelled outside USA much.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I think all cruiselines try to do well, but if the prices are really cheap, well then a different crowd goes on the ship I think to drink and party more.  I find the ships that go to place that are port heavy you will find a different crowd.   But then again, the world as a whole has slid downwards in the politness and kindness department.

Should be interesting how MSC does in 2024 and 2025 as they try to make changes to fit USA Market which by the way is not superior in my opinion just best for folks going on first cruise or not having travelled outside USA much.

I’ve cruised all the major lines and Carnival is the only one (before this cruise on MSC) that has made us not ever cruise with them again. 

Was on Norwegian in April 2022 during school vacation and it was fine. Passengers were courteous to each other. 

With almost 40 cruises under our belt we’re pretty good at judging where a cruise line is heading and we don’t like what we saw last week on Divina. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

The real problem seems, JIMHO, very well noted, at least here in CC, and I hope at all the cruise lines headquarters offices: The short-term cruise market (3-5 nights getaway cruises) is extremely profitable and easy to operate... But sort of toxic to itself. People go on those, normally very cheap, cruises specifically to party and drink. Those cruises are the easiest to operate on earth: Usually only a port of call or two, sometimes for private destinations that are quite near the embarkation port, no formal nights, no special activities, nothing really sophisticated about them. All of that brings low costs... And low costs command for low fares, and that mostly translate to a very broad audience, whom apparently, by the most part aren't even by far aware or interested on the "noise" they make on the whole cruising community, to let alone the main public opinion, when things go wrong and fall on the press. I have no solutions. MSC on their credit is being surprisingly quick answering by finish the drinks packages on the short-term market in the US and elsewhere. I hope them to be persistent on that one, really. The longer the cruise, the less likely to have those problems. You don't normally listen about an abusive crowd aboard a week long CCL cruise to the New England and Canada itinerary, for example.

Very well written, thought-provoking statement you made in a so few amount of lines, congrats!... When I started my cruising career with MSC back in 2007, MSC used to be a very Italian focused business for basically the Italians! Even us here in Portugal, another south European country with some TA partnerships with them from basically the beginning, we were seen as sort of 2nd class MSC passengers, to let alone the US market!... Then too many things have changed. Some for the better... Some not so much... But one thing that amazes me is that MSC nowadays seems to want to be something like everything for everyone, while sometimes at the same time they might to end up just to become nothing for nobody else... I wholly understand the need to be the most global possible... Operationally wise, that could to be quite easy to make, but then there are all those cultural differences out there. You won't have everything for everyone in a single day and operational place. Pretty much impossible!... MSC is now doing to the mainstream cruising industry what Amazon has done with the books and music stores. They're the unique out of the "big 4" which future is well solid rock established and assured, built on their huge worldwide leader cargo line business, hence they're the unique one with whom I'd to book confidently that my travel plans wouldn't be suddenly interrupted by the means of a full or at least partial operation stop on the part of a cruise operator... They have it all and a pair of boots to do so, if they so wish, and they do!... But... But, they desperately need to understand that if they want 5 mega-ships on the US, one of them World Class (more or less RCI Oasis Class equivalent), they'll need to have an US based trademark, built in joint venture with a solid established US hospitality business interested on entering the segment, or ultimately, by purchasing one of the competitors if they're able to!... TBHH; while I enjoy the current product, as a native southern European, I enjoyed even more the experience on those "good ole days"... Oh; the long dinners that were a relaxed unique holiday experience of a kind... Or those Neapolitan songs played on the grand piano at the atrium bars by the night?... All of that is gone! As gone are those more or less sexually implicit stand up comedy activities the activities team had before the main theater shows, understandably suspended when they went "kids sail free" year round. TBHH; their cruises while distinctively Italian, are now a mix of Italian/International that only works well to an extent. I hope them to sort this out by the horizontal market segmentation. On the vertical one they now have regular MSC, YC, and Explora for true luxury. They now need an US division to be MSC in the US. Like Carnival and Costa lines. Those are my 2 cents. Reading reviews like this where the product has such at least a satisfactory rate, and the perceived experience has a "worst cruise ever" rate are making me to think so. And this review is not unique by any means!

Congrats to this so well written thought-provoking post. Have my notes in blue, and have a nice day!...

The passenger comments are disheartening.  My last cruise was carnival, which I’ve very much enjoyed in the past!  It was a 4 day over new years- lots of kids on board and they were great! It was adults that were the problem.  Fights in my hall not once but twice!  Another late night brawl in a bar- who does that????  I was embarrassed to have brought my daughter to such a scene. Disappointing…

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, L1211 said:

The passenger comments are disheartening.  My last cruise was carnival, which I’ve very much enjoyed in the past!  It was a 4 day over new years- lots of kids on board and they were great! It was adults that were the problem.  Fights in my hall not once but twice!  Another late night brawl in a bar- who does that????  I was embarrassed to have brought my daughter to such a scene. Disappointing…

Absolutely agree. Kids were never the problem on our cruise either. In fact the children were so well behaved. Not sure how when their parents had no manners whatsoever. 

I have a prediction that the “unlimited booze” will come to an end because of fools like that who can’t handle themselves. 

We never saw these issues until the unlimited alcohol became a thing. 

I’d much rather pay for my drinks as I go if it means we never have to cruise with people who drink because it’s unlimited again. 

• Like 3

On 1/10/2023 at 11:01 AM, asalligo said:

I am sure I left something out, but this is the first cruise ever that I would have rather stayed home. I always say, it was still a cruise after commenting on something I did not like. Not this one.

I couldn’t agree with you more, on all of your general comments. We did the Divina in December, and I feel like I set $1000 on fire. I would have rather stayed home and used that money on something else.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 4:29 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That's what I learned as well - however, there was a promo running (perhaps one which runs rarely... or often?) which offered Wi-Fi and drinks for those who booked during a certain time period. Weird, I know !

Tom 

We did a 3 night cruise on MSC in September. We had no problem upgrading our drinks package once onboard. We also booked with the drinks, Wi-Fi included. We could book specialty dining once onboard. We had no idea what to expect and just thought, “ it’s for 3 nights—how bad could it be?”  Ended up loving it and booked a longer, 10 night cruise while onboard. 

We did the Fantastica package.  

The food was amazing. We did a dinner at the steakhouse and the seafood tower rivaled the best steakhouse on land.  I think MSC has the best pizza at sea. 

The drinks package works on the private island too. 

Staff were outstanding, we had no complaints. Did the status match prior to sailing. Platinum on Carnival got us gold on MSC. 

I have not been on Carnival since 2013 and have no plans to return. We love MSC. Also like Celebrity and NCL. 

• Like 4

Just got off Carnival Celebration last week and the food in the MDR and Buffet were nowhere near the food on MSC. The crowds for the theater shows were ridiculous. Can’t wait to see things for myself when I sail Mera in a few weeks.

5 hours ago, Tierun said:

Just got off Carnival Celebration last week and the food in the MDR and Buffet were nowhere near the food on MSC. The crowds for the theater shows were ridiculous. Can’t wait to see things for myself when I sail Mera in a few weeks.

We are second on your comment about Carnival.  We sailed on Mardi Gras in late April last year the MDR food was ok to bad most of our 7 days (we had sailed on Carnival a few times) due to our early dinning other eating options were not available until later every night. We gave MSC a try and sailed on Divina while the food was not great (they claimed because of the pandemic for the supply) but the service was wonderful (the price was much lower than Carnival) so we decided to give MSC another try on Meraviglia as it turned out much better (food/entertainment) we already booked another sailing (7 days) on Seaside for later this year with a military discount and status match it is a win win situation.

Edited by ChattTenn

MSC are filling the ships at any cost, fine short term plan but a potentially bad plan long term...but when has poor planning and service stopped them before !!!

The most hurtful part to me is that their ships are the most gorgeous and well maintained at sea and it is a pity to see the riff raff acting up in such nice surroundings.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 1/11/2023 at 6:02 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I see in your signature that you sailed on the Regal Empress. Now THAT is one ship that I didn't shed a tear for when they sent her to the scrapyard. Frankly, that ship is the only one I've ever been on that I could not wait for it to be over, and that takes A LOT (for me) !

Edit - I'm sure in "its day", it was something.  🙂

Tom

When on Regal Empress because it was the same ship as our first cruise.  I agree it was not a great ship the second time.