MSC Divina 10-day Itinerary including Cartagena/Colon/Limon: Detailed Port Review

elbodans

Hello all! I was fortunate to sail on the Divina last month on the 10-day itinerary featuring Cartagena, Colon, and Puerto Limon, CR. It was a FAB itinerary. And while I didn't write up a proper trip report, I've seen so many questions about the various stops on this unique itinerary that I thought I'd write up a little port review guide. 

It ended up being not-so-little. Whoops! 

The link for that guide is here: https://www.suitcasescholar.com/2023/01/10/the-most-interesting-caribbean-cruise-itinerary/

That main post has overviews of specific excursions in each port, with links to a longer post for each port. 

Please note: this is a hobby blog, and as such is ad-free and not promotional in any way. I used to be a teacher; I just like helping people plan travels. I'm a helper. 

If anyone has any questions about these ports, please ask. I'm happy to help! 

• Like 2

Thanks for such a thorough and detailed blog. Your timing is perfect for us! My husband and I leave on the 1/27 sailing.  When I booked, it sounded exciting, but when I started further research, I kind of wondered what we were getting into.  We've been to Ocho Rios, but it was 30 years ago for our honeymoon. We ended up booking mostly ship excursions (except in Costa Rica we went based on another recommendation for a private tour) because we just weren't sure about the ports, which is something we don't normally do.  We're trying a rum tasting in Jamaica because the falls are maybe more intense than I am able to do anymore.

I appreciated your comments about the HOHO in Cartagena. Initially I had read a review about a couple that hired a cab for a tour and we were going to do that, but I got nervous and booked a food tasting excursion. I may reconsider and go back to my initial thought.  Do you feel it was fairly easy to get a cab at the port and work through language barriers as we don't speak Spanish.

Same as you, we heard Panama Canal was a LONG day, but we also figured we might not get the chance again.  We'll just need to be prepared for a full day!

I also loved your comments on Ocean Cay! One of the reasons I also booked this itinerary is because we want a nice, peaceful and relaxing beach. I don't want a theme park. I'm surprised so many people just have no idea what they are heading into.

Any thoughts on the ship/experience itself? We'll be in YC, so can avoid crowds. I have seen many, many people that love Divina and I'm sure we will as well.

6 hours ago, mnpurple said:

Thanks for such a thorough and detailed blog. Your timing is perfect for us! My husband and I leave on the 1/27 sailing.  When I booked, it sounded exciting, but when I started further research, I kind of wondered what we were getting into.  We've been to Ocho Rios, but it was 30 years ago for our honeymoon. We ended up booking mostly ship excursions (except in Costa Rica we went based on another recommendation for a private tour) because we just weren't sure about the ports, which is something we don't normally do.  We're trying a rum tasting in Jamaica because the falls are maybe more intense than I am able to do anymore.

I appreciated your comments about the HOHO in Cartagena. Initially I had read a review about a couple that hired a cab for a tour and we were going to do that, but I got nervous and booked a food tasting excursion. I may reconsider and go back to my initial thought.  Do you feel it was fairly easy to get a cab at the port and work through language barriers as we don't speak Spanish.

Same as you, we heard Panama Canal was a LONG day, but we also figured we might not get the chance again.  We'll just need to be prepared for a full day!

I also loved your comments on Ocean Cay! One of the reasons I also booked this itinerary is because we want a nice, peaceful and relaxing beach. I don't want a theme park. I'm surprised so many people just have no idea what they are heading into.

Any thoughts on the ship/experience itself? We'll be in YC, so can avoid crowds. I have seen many, many people that love Divina and I'm sure we will as well.

I felt the exact same way! I booked pretty last minute--like two weeks before sailing--and when I did was very excited. And then I was like: oh my what have I done?? But all of my fears were unfounded. It was an amazing trip and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I also booked all ship excursions for this reason. If I hadn't been traveling solo I would have gone with a private company in Limon, but when I reached out there wasn't availability to join an existing tour. 

I would 100% get a taxi in Cartagena. Locals don't have much English and I have very little Spanish, but I wouldn't worry about the language being an issue getting a taxi. On port days, taxi drivers are taxiing cruise passengers. If you get in a taxi in town and say "puerto" that's all you really need. Decide where you are going from the port and learn the local words for that and you should be fine. A taxi into town should be around $5 USD. A taxi back will be more than that. Like possibly $20 USD. 

Excellent choice in the canal cruise. And Ocean Cay is one of my favorite relaxing locations. I don't have any MSC cruises booked at this time, but I'm becoming and MSC fan so I know I will return. I hope you love it! 

The Divina surprised me. I had zero intention of ever sailing on her, as I've seen some bad reviews on YouTube. But I really, really liked the Divina. She's an older ship and I like that. The older ships have more of a...ship feel? I like to feel like I'm at sea when I'm at sea. The Meraviglia (and the one Royal ship I've sailed--I don't recall which) felt like a mall. I also really liked the smaller lounge spaces for evenings. I'm usually always outdoors when cruising--I've closed more than my share of aft pool bars--but I actually enjoyed the live music on board the Divina. My balcony cabin was between forward and mid ship on the starboard side and I had no complaints about that either. The shower setup was kind of brilliant actually. I would not hesitate to sail the Divina again. 

It should be noted that we were at half capacity on my sailing and it was still difficult to find a lounger on sea days, because pool chair saving is a real thing. The aft pool was really great though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Very interesting, thank you! We did this itinerary twice 4 years ago and thinking about doing it again this year. Love the Divina! 

I would totally do this itinerary again! I didn't know this itinerary existed prior to this year. I was on the Meraviglia in Feburary 2020 (we were the last ship that sailed that actually went anywhere; at the time we had no idea what was to come) and that was my first MSC cruise. I'm intrigued by MSC's unique southern Caribbean itinerary. Have you done that one? I'm looking at it for next winter. 

7 hours ago, elbodans said:

I would totally do this itinerary again! I didn't know this itinerary existed prior to this year. I was on the Meraviglia in Feburary 2020 (we were the last ship that sailed that actually went anywhere; at the time we had no idea what was to come) and that was my first MSC cruise. I'm intrigued by MSC's unique southern Caribbean itinerary. Have you done that one? I'm looking at it for next winter. 

Are you talking about the sailings that leave from Fort de France? If so then we have not sailed that itinerary with MSC. We do not fly so leave from US only. Wish they had those ports from Miami. We did  most of those ports many years ago on a 21 day cruise that was a Carnival 80s throw back cruise. I think that was in 2015 and they no longer do those.  You will love those islands. It was a great experience and would sail on a cruise to those in a heartbeat. Like I said, I wish MSC went to more ports than the same ones over and over.

On 1/12/2023 at 6:32 AM, ready2cruzagain said:

Are you talking about the sailings that leave from Fort de France? If so then we have not sailed that itinerary with MSC. We do not fly so leave from US only. Wish they had those ports from Miami. We did  most of those ports many years ago on a 21 day cruise that was a Carnival 80s throw back cruise. I think that was in 2015 and they no longer do those.  You will love those islands. It was a great experience and would sail on a cruise to those in a heartbeat. Like I said, I wish MSC went to more ports than the same ones over and over.

Yes, that's the one I'm referencing. Good to know that's a worth itinerary. Thanks! 

Thanks for posting! 

We did a partial transit on another line last month. Like you, we did the ferry to the Pacific. It looks like we transited on the same ferry. 😁 Our day was also LONG! It was 7:30-8 getting back to the ship — the ship departure time was supposed to be 7. We weren’t the last excursion back. 

On 1/14/2023 at 8:46 AM, phred119s said:

Thanks for posting! 

We did a partial transit on another line last month. Like you, we did the ferry to the Pacific. It looks like we transited on the same ferry. 😁 Our day was also LONG! It was 7:30-8 getting back to the ship — the ship departure time was supposed to be 7. We weren’t the last excursion back. 

Yeah, the whole ship was kind of mad at us, as we had something like six busses coming back and the ship had to wait for well over an hour. And THAT is why that experience is only possible via cruise line sponsored excursion1 

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old thread, but I just came across it since booking this nearly identical cruise.  Love your review and I appreciate all of the time and energy you put into it.  Thank you so much and after reading, it makes me feel more comfortable about my choice to try something new!