Did The Forum Format Change???

Lois R

Very, very, slow today and then it sort of hic cups while loading the right side stuff. Can it be fixed or is this, as Lois said, the cost of these boards being free? Will really slow down the ability to post. White screens tonight too!

Host Anne,

Not for nothing but...my speed at the moment seems slower and from what I am seeing so far on this thread I am not the only one. It seems to be taking more time to load in the extra "ads" that were not in the right column before.

IMHO

Jeff

PS: CC owes me for a new pair of reading glasses.:D

I don't have any ads in my right column. Is it possible that your computer was invaded with spyware?

Are we running different servers here? I seem to be looking at an ad for Celebrity Cruises in the right hand column. Opps, that can't be it, the other server seems to be syncing perfectly. must be something else.

Since they are all for cruises, highly unlikely!

That is not correct. If a spyware progam detects that a computer visits many different cruise websites, it is very likely that cruise ads would be appearing on that computer.

I don't have any ads in my right column. Is it possible that your computer was invaded with spyware?

That is a no on spyware...look at the top of the page when you open it...I am not the only one on this thread that has Celebrity ads now in the right column. They have admitted reformatting the system. They have added more space for ads and shrunk the area for veiwing the board.

Like I said earlier...they want to make more money and there is nothng wrong with that...I just hope they spread a little of it to upgrading the system.

Lois, It is the same on my computer but whatever is installed on my computer takes out all the ads. I don't see any thing but white on the right side of the page. Glad to know it is not just my computer messing up. Pat

I don't see any of the ads, either. I'm on AOL. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I'm getting the ads, too, but only at the top and the righthand side of the screen. But the side ads are not very long, so if you are reading a post farther down the page you wouldn't see them. I'm also on AOL.

Are we running different servers here? I seem to be looking at an ad for Celebrity Cruises in the right hand column. Opps, that can't be it, the other server seems to be syncing perfectly. must be something else.

I have multiple ISP's on my computer, so I just tried accessing Cruise Critic through all of them. No matter which ISP I use, the ads are not appearing at the top or right side. However, I have two different anti- spyware programs which are activated, no matter how I access Cruise Critic.

I'm getting the ads, too, but only at the top and the righthand side of the screen. But the side ads are not very long, so if you are reading a post farther down the page you wouldn't see them. I'm also on AOL.

Anyone who doesn't see the ads, has some sort of ad blocker running on their computer. In most cases it's provided by there ISP (i.e. AOL). What they will see is just white space. As far as changing it back, not likely. This is how CC pays for the cost for running this site. And for anyone who thinks there’s nothing to running a web server that has this many hits/post each day, try doing it. Not only is there cost in dollars, but there is an even greater cost in time. The ads did seem to really drag things down when they first started but it looks like they resolved those issues. As with anything in IT you don't know who a change is going to affect things until you implement it. Glad to see thing running smoothly again. Thanks to CC for hosting this great forum.

Anyone who doesn't see the ads, has some sort of ad blocker running on their computer. In most cases it's provided by there ISP (i.e. AOL). What they will see is just white space. As far as changing it back, not likely. This is how CC pays for the cost for running this site. And for anyone who thinks there’s nothing to running a web server that has this many hits/post each day, try doing it. Not only is there cost in dollars, but there is an even greater cost in time. The ads did seem to really drag things down when they first started but it looks like they resolved those issues. As with anything in IT you don't know who a change is going to affect things until you implement it. Glad to see thing running smoothly again. Thanks to CC for hosting this great forum.

Hello Georgeb :)

Thank you for the helpful explanation. I agree with you that CC is a great forum :)

I just re-checked, and on Carnival, HAL. and Princess boards, there are ads all down the right side of the page. On Celebrity and Royal Caribbean there is just one ad at the top right side of the stickies. I may have missed seeing that before. It's odd that some cruiselines would be going nuts with the ads, and others aren't.

Allen

I just re-checked' date=' and on Carnival, HAL. and Princess boards, there are ads all down the right side of the page. On Celebrity and Royal Caribbean there is just one ad at the top right side of the stickies. I may have missed seeing that before. It's odd that some cruiselines would be going nuts with the ads, and others aren't.

Allen[/quote']

It depends on who buys what ads on what pages. Celebrity may have paid more to be the only ad on this page. Who knows?

Sky Sweet, no problem. Happy to help.

Still no ads no matter what thread I click. Takes a few extra seconds to load, but its likely my ad-ware doing it's thing. Oh well, no big deal.

The board was REALLY slow earlier, but better now. Guess it's just the new format settling itself in!

Archived