Solo trip and need thoughts on my itinerary options

Nataliea621

Okay so i have made it between 2 choices.
1. The 14 day Grand Voyage of the Glaciers June 22 2024 on the Sapphire Princess 

2. Same cruise on the 22nd but instead of the 14 day I will do off the Beaten Track cruise tour. 

Anyone do these and have thoughts on them as a solo traveler? 

I don't know those itineraries but as someone who has traveled solo many times, it really depends upon what you're looking to do for excursions and if you'd be happy spending that time with a group of strangers. I can talk to anyone, anywhere so stick me on a bus or a train and I'm happy to talk to future new friends.

I'd recommend looking for the roll call here and see if there's any activity. You might find there are people already signed up and if that's true take some time to see if there are other solo travelers. You might find a kindred spirit! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mademypoint said:

I don't know those itineraries but as someone who has traveled solo many times, it really depends upon what you're looking to do for excursions and if you'd be happy spending that time with a group of strangers. I can talk to anyone, anywhere so stick me on a bus or a train and I'm happy to talk to future new friends.

I'd recommend looking for the roll call here and see if there's any activity. You might find there are people already signed up and if that's true take some time to see if there are other solo travelers. You might find a kindred spirit! 

Thanks for the advice. I would share the itineraries but I’m on my mobile and it’s kind of a pain. 
I don’t see any roll calls yet since it’s so far in advance but thanks! I’m also fine meeting people anywhere etc. 
natalie 

I haven't been on my cruise yet but I'm booked solo on a 7 day Alaska on Majestic.  I remember there being solo cruisers asking questions on the Alaska forum.  I've been booked on this since 2019 and it kept being delayed for covid and then I had a family emergency when it finally sailed last June (I was originally on a group cruise but now am completely solo).  Booked this August and hoping it finally happens, fingers crossed.  To me the excursions for Alaska are the type of thing that can easily be enjoyed solo.  One thing that appealed to me about the Alaska itineraries for a first cruise, and solo, is that the ports are easy to navigate and seem very safe.

12 hours ago, Nataliea621 said:

1. The 14 day Grand Voyage of the Glaciers June 22 2024 on the Sapphire Princess 

2. Same cruise on the 22nd but instead of the 14 day I will do off the Beaten Track cruise tour. 

My main concern is Denali. The road is closed and people can't get past Mile 43 due to rock slides. It appears it will be closed through summer 2024. I would be hesitant to go to Denali until you can get farther into the park:

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/conditions.htm 

This is just me. If I was to do land - I would focus on Seward which is closer than Anchorage and save the longer, land trip until your next trip.

57 minutes ago, Coral said:

My main concern is Denali. The road is closed and people can't get past Mile 43 due to rock slides. It appears it will be closed through summer 2024. I would be hesitant to go to Denali until you can get farther into the park:

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/conditions.htm 

This is just me. If I was to do land - I would focus on Seward which is closer than Anchorage and save the longer, land trip until your next trip.

This is something I was thinking about too. Thanks. Time to look more! Heck this is part of the fun to research what kind of trip I want to take!

• Like 1

I have been a solo cruiser for the last 12 years. I have 57 cruises under my belt, of which 6 are Alaska. I am a Leave Me Alone Cruiser. I love to read and do quiet things so doing any kind of pre or post cruise just doesn't interest me and I think would appeal to couples and families, not doing it by myself.

I found lots of shore excursions on each Alaska cruise that kept me entertained, interested and learning new things. I have contacted the shore excursion department by email to ask their opinion on what excursions would be good for a solor cruiser. You might want to try that.

Candie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firegal2539 said:

I have been a solo cruiser for the last 12 years. I have 57 cruises under my belt, of which 6 are Alaska. I am a Leave Me Alone Cruiser. I love to read and do quiet things so doing any kind of pre or post cruise just doesn't interest me and I think would appeal to couples and families, not doing it by myself.

I found lots of shore excursions on each Alaska cruise that kept me entertained, interested and learning new things. I have contacted the shore excursion department by email to ask their opinion on what excursions would be good for a solor cruiser. You might want to try that.

Candie

Thanks! I appreciate your input. That is definitely a good idea. 

20 hours ago, Nataliea621 said:

aw I am doing the same itinerary in 2023 on the Grand P.

It is a good one as you visit each port twice.   So if bad weather one day, hope for the best the next time you visit.  

I am also solo and find Alaska very enjoyable and the excursions enjoyable.  Since I am solo, I only book through the ship so if anything happens, they will wait.

• Like 2

I think you should do whatever interests you more. I have traveled in a variety of ways as a solo and have not had a bad trip in any way. I can go between being and introvert and extrovert. I always meet people and have never felt out of place.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think you should do whatever interests you more. I have traveled in a variety of ways as a solo and have not had a bad trip in any way. I can go between being and introvert and extrovert. I always meet people and have never felt out of place.

Thank you! I’m similar and am excited to plan this! And I’m doing this for me. But I do like to see what others say. Just to get ideas. 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 4:19 PM, Nataliea621 said:

1. is a cruise line organized back-to-back.  Voyage of the Glaciers is a one way voyage, either northbound, Vancouver to Seward (Anchorage), or southbound Seward to Vancouver.  A great number of the cruisers on board on the northbound will be disembarking the ship and will be going to a Princess Lodge for a few days.  On the southbound a number of the guests will be arriving from the Princess Lodges and finishing up their vacation on the southbound journey and catching flights home from Vancouver.  Your cruise will embark you in either Vancouver or Seward (???) and you'll disembark where you started.  I suspect you'll be embarking in Vancouver, but don't know.  When you get to the end of the first leg of the cruise you will be temporarily disembarked, processed through customs and then reembarked.  There are legal reasons this has to be done based on federal law.  I have a feeling that the return leg of the cruise is going to be a repeat of the first leg, but in reverse.  Plus you'll see a lot of repeat in the food that is served on board.

2.  To be honest, if you can swing the price I think the cruise tour is going to be more interesting, you will see more and have a more varied vacation and adventure.  Seeing inland Alaska I hear is just as spectacular, if not more so than visiting the glaciers and fjords.

I apologize for not going out and looking up the dates and cruises to see what is on the itineraries.  You have certainly provided enough information to do so.  I may come back here with more details after doing some research, but other chores need to be done first.