Best beach to snorkel from shore?

lunagirl

We will be visiting Key West in February and I am looking for recommendations on beaches - especially beaches where I can snorkel.  

Does anyone have recommendations or info about Higgs Beach or Fort Zachary Taylor? Chair/umbrella rental, access to food and drinks, and clear or calm water are top factors.

How is the seaweed this time of year?

Thank you!

Zachary Taylor has decent snorkeling around the rock piles out from the beach.  Conditions can be less than great though depending on currents and tide. sometimes you get nice clear water - sometimes you get soup. Beach is rough broken coral so wear boots and open heel fins, or accept some pain getting over the last 10-15 feet of beach (my wife chooses the former, I generally choose the latter). Zach T also has a decent snack bar with sandwiches, wraps and basic grilled food as well as beverages - adult and otherwise. Also has chair and umbrella rentals - you get your money's worth out of the $3.00 or so entry fee.

There's a webcam here - though not quite streaming.  Useful for checking conditions. We sent once to snorkel while the cam was down.  Conditions were soup, was a little disappointing.   https://fla-keys.com/webcams/fort-zachary-taylor-beach/ No idea why the live stream link doesn't actually take you to a live stream.

Never snorkeled from Higgs, but the old pier remains should be decent to snorkel around - again, condition dependent.  Never paid attention to the amenities here. Maybe it's obvious but I prefer Zach T and the conditions are almost never good when we stop at Higgs. 

Seaweed shouldn't be a problem in the winter.  Summer is when it's really bad.  when seaweed is a problem, it's way worse along the south side of the island where Higgs and Smathers are located.

Don’t you have better snorkeling destinations on your cruise?  The reef here is a few miles offshore and all you are likely to see is some fish from the beach, assuming good conditions.  None of the beaches here are very nice.  

Personally I would spend my time here seeing our historic district, sampling local, fresh seafood and taking in the unique ambiance of Old Town Key West, but it’s up to you.  Fort Zachary posts water visibility conditions at the park entrance.  If it says fair, or poor, don’t bother.

On 1/14/2023 at 11:39 AM, keywester33 said:

Don’t you have better snorkeling destinations on your cruise?  

Personally I would spend my time here seeing our historic district, sampling local, fresh seafood and taking in the unique ambiance of Old Town Key West, but it’s up to you.  Fort Zachary posts water visibility conditions at the park entrance.  If it says fair, or poor, don’t bother.

This is a super short cruise, only visiting Key West and Cozumel.  I look for every opportunity to get in the water and see what I can see 😎 Thanks for the tip about the water conditions being posted. I will look for that!

I definitely also plan on enjoying some great seafood and exploring, but with us docking at 7:30am, it will be a few hours before I am ready for lunch.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2023 at 1:27 PM, CT Sean said:

Beach is rough broken coral so wear boots and open heel fins, or accept some pain getting over the last 10-15 feet of beach

I can't agree with you more CT. We were at Ft Zach Taylor in early February and I accidently left my water shoes on the ship. OUCH!!! It was not fun getting in and out of the water; in fact, I would have spent more time in the water if I wasn't barefeet! Nice beach and it is walkable from ship. I'd say about 20 minutes.