Is Falmouth safe?

happywhencruising

We will be on Regal Princess in February. Wondering if Falmouth is a safe port. We are considering whether to take a ship's shore excursion or just stay on the ship. We are senior citizens and aren't up for the adventure of danger.  I'm interested in hearing opinions from people who have visited recently or are visiting now. Thx

Heading to Falmouth next week on the Regal Princess. It’s a port we’ve been to twice and have decided to stay on the ship this visit. I agree with Godde8ss. It’s a large, secure complex with cute shops, etc. But if you wish to explore beyond this area, book a tour through Princess.  I  generally book our tours independently or hire  a taxi tour at the port. Not comfortable making that recommendation in Jamaica. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruizin4781 said:

Heading to Falmouth next week on the Regal Princess. It’s a port we’ve been to twice and have decided to stay on the ship this visit. I agree with Godde8ss. It’s a large, secure complex with cute shops, etc. But if you wish to explore beyond this area, book a tour through Princess.  I  generally book our tours independently or hire  a taxi tour at the port. Not comfortable making that recommendation in Jamaica. 

I think we may stay on ship too. Kinda like a quiet ship with most passenger on land.

• 2 weeks later...

This was pre covid:

Last time on Jamaica I went around Famouth for almost a day, visiting churches and historic buildings, partly on my own, partly with the guidance of a local who approached me while visiting a cemetery. Interesting and (for me, being interested in history, architecture and such) a much niecer day than staying on board.

I did not get robbed or killed 😉 Rather uncomfortable I felt close to the port where most tourists and ambitious traders mixed rather closely.  

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last week.  We had heard the scary stories of Falmouth so did not leave the ship until right before time to get to our excursion.  We were very sorry that we missed exploring this port.  There were many cute shops and the port area itself was very secure and safe.  I would feel totally comfortable exploring the port at your leisure and hop back on the ship when you are ready.

(We took the Bamboo Beach excursion and would not give it high marks.)

2 hours ago, funtoocruise said:

Are there any taxi's we could take to a beach? We were thinking of doing the Bamboo Beach excursion glad you mentioned it's not great. Would a taxi be safe?

I'm really not sure.  It was about a 45 minute ride and I only saw buses.  Bamboo beach was fairly small and crowded with many cruisers.  I didn't research any other beaches so I am not sure what else was there.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  Maybe start a new post with that question.

20 hours ago, glorialagos said:

I'm really not sure.  It was about a 45 minute ride and I only saw buses.  Bamboo beach was fairly small and crowded with many cruisers.  I didn't research any other beaches so I am not sure what else was there.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  Maybe start a new post with that question.

Thank you for the response