Question about booking dining reservations online before arrival via FAS.

farmecologist

Hi all, 

Apologies if this has been asked already.  We are returning to cruising after a long absence and I have a question about pre-cruise online reservations. 

I'm attempting to book some Free at Sea dining reservations for our upcoming cruise on the Joy.  It appears to work for some of the restaurants.  However, it says that Ocean Blue is "not available for booking".  I'm assuming we can still book Ocean Blue while on the ship...correct?

I'm also trying to book Le Bistro and all open reservations have a minimum party size of 4 ( our booking only has 2 people ).  However, it did add a 4 person reservation to my 'cart' at $0.00.  I'm assuming the system noticed we have the FAS dining and applied two of the FAS credits.  Is booking a 4 person table for 2 people like this 'legit'?  

My other question is if I should even bother to book online and just wait until we get to the ship...

Thanks all!

2 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

Hi all, 

Apologies if this has been asked already.  We are returning to cruising after a long absence and I have a question about pre-cruise online reservations. 

I'm attempting to book some Free at Sea dining reservations for our upcoming cruise on the Joy.  It appears to work for some of the restaurants.  However, it says that Ocean Blue is "not available for booking".  I'm assuming we can still book Ocean Blue while on the ship...correct?

I'm also trying to book Le Bistro and all open reservations have a minimum party size of 4 ( our booking only has 2 people ).  However, it did add a 4 person reservation to my 'cart' at $0.00.  I'm assuming the system noticed we have the FAS dining and applied two of the FAS credits.  Is booking a 4 person table for 2 people like this 'legit'?  

My other question is if I should even bother to book online and just wait until we get to the ship...

Thanks all!

No dining credits are applied when booking. You state how you want to pay when you arrive at the restaurant.

I don’t know whether booking a table for 4 when there are only two of you could cause a problem, as a larger table would be reserved. I assume that reservations have been open for a while and some places are booked (ie your problem with Ocean Blue).

As long as you board early there shouldn’t be a problem waiting until you board to get what you want.

• Like 1

I was able to make reservations for 2 at all different places.... that was 2 weeks ago.... today I can't book anything ... I think there is something wrong with their site... I wouldn't wait till we board because everything could be fully booked by then

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, C cruise said:

I was able to make reservations for 2 at all different places.... that was 2 weeks ago.... today I can't book anything ... I think there is something wrong with their site... I wouldn't wait till we board because everything could be fully booked by then

A proportion of reservations are held back until boarding day, so if online reservations are filling up then you may find better availability onboard, especially if you board fairly early.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

A proportion of reservations are held back until boarding day, so if online reservations are filling up then you may find better availability onboard, especially if you board fairly early.

Ok..so would a good 'strategy' be to book reservations for our two FAS dining nights at our second choice restaurants so we have reservations...and then potentially cancel them if something better shows up onboard?

Thanks!

• Like 1

We had a similar problem for our upcoming cruise...got two reservations done but Ocean Blue said not taking reservations...went on the chat feature and was booked within 5 mins and received an email confirmation.  Try the chat feature...they are very helpful. Also, in the past we have never had an issue booking restaurants on embarkation day...tables for two are plentiful.

Edited by CaptainBazz

1 hour ago, farmecologist said:

Ok..so would a good 'strategy' be to book reservations for our two FAS dining nights at our second choice restaurants so we have reservations...and then potentially cancel them if something better shows up onboard?

Thanks!

Yes, that is certainly an option. As is phoning, mentioned above. I have never bothered phoning as we have never had any trouble getting reservations online or onboard, but it does seem to work for people.

2 hours ago, farmecologist said:

So,,, bookings open 120 prior to departure (130 for Haven, 125 for Club Balcony and Top Tier Latitudes). You should book exactly 120 days prior to departure for the best restaurant selection.  If you are only seeing 4-tops, that means that you waited to long and other reservations are sold out. That may be the problem with Ocean Blue. 

The system is only taking reservations. It does not care about how you are paying (for the most part). Method of payment is done at time of service. You tell the hostess whether you are paying by room charge (cash), Specialty Dining Package, Latitude Vouchers (top tier), other voucher. 

If online reservations are not working, call or chat with an NCL agent to see if they can book it for you. Otherwise, it needs to be your second priority as soon as you board,,, after making entertainment reservations (big ships only).