Travel Guard and Exclusion of Celebrity

FinelyCruising

Before I start a riot I just want to say...

In the past I have booked with Travel Guard right after the deposit was issued, and have booked with Travel Guard beyond the initial deposit date. In both of those scenarios I have not been "limited" in my selections of coverage.

I just obtained Travel Guard coverage for a 3/27 sailing of Mercury and would have liked to obtain the "cruise" coverage, which encompassed Celebrity sailings, but Travel Guard will not insure under this plan for this Celebrity cruiseline.

I have selected Protection Assist, and while I am pleased with the medical evacuation coverage, I am not pleased with the coverage if our bags are lost....we will be out a lot of money for our clothes an I am not comfortable with this....

Have not had this issue with Travel Guard before this cruise...anyone seeing changes in coverage...and as they pertain to Celebrity...if so...why?

FC:

I went straight through the ordering process until I got to the page where I had to enter my credit card info.

Celebrity was listed in the drop down menu for "tour operator".

Where did you get blocked?

BTW I went directly to their site.

Ocn - I was on the site as well....there were three policy options, I selected the "cruise" policy (not the cruise tour and travel), and sucessfully entered the info. When completed, a red dialog popped into the screen and indicated that only Carnival, RCCL and I think one or two others were the only lines eligible for this policy, I belive at the point after I entered all the creidt card information. I am tempted to contact them by phone today and get into this a little deeper...I would like greater baggage coverage as the coverage is much too light. The policy I was redirected to was more money and less coverage. We'll see what happens.

Ocn - Called Travel Guard, and they do not offer the Cruise Guard to Celebrity travelers...they confirmed this is what I had before when on RCCL this is what I had. I spoke with the rep about the Cruise Tour and Travel, yes, at a higher cost and it is primary coverage rather than secondary. The one thing I was looking at is that the coverage for the bags goes from $750.00 to $1,000.00 with that policy, either way home-owners has to participate, so I am satisfied with what I have, but will look in the future at other companies and compare with what I now know....Every day I learn a little bit more....

Before I start a riot I just want to say...

In the past I have booked with Travel Guard right after the deposit was issued, and have booked with Travel Guard beyond the initial deposit date. In both of those scenarios I have not been "limited" in my selections of coverage.

I just obtained Travel Guard coverage for a 3/27 sailing of Mercury and would have liked to obtain the "cruise" coverage, which encompassed Celebrity sailings, but Travel Guard will not insure under this plan for this Celebrity cruiseline.

I have selected Protection Assist, and while I am pleased with the medical evacuation coverage, I am not pleased with the coverage if our bags are lost....we will be out a lot of money for our clothes an I am not comfortable with this....

Have not had this issue with Travel Guard before this cruise...anyone seeing changes in coverage...and as they pertain to Celebrity...if so...why?

With all other third=party plans, in the case of a cancellation only two things can happen: #1 the insurer sends you a check or #2 the claim is denied and you get nothing. Recently several cruise lines have brought out plans that allow you to cancel for a "non-covered" reason and get a portion of your penalties applied to a future cruise.

Travel Guard came up with a plan that sort of follows that trend. In some cases where you are not eligible for a cash refund you might get a credit toward a future cruise. This means Travel Guard has to work closely with the cruise line to implement the plan -- how does a client claim the credit, does the client pay the cruise line and get reimbursed for the amount of the credit or does Travel Guard pay it directly to the booking. That sort of stuff.

So far only a few cruise lines are working with Travel Guard on this. Maybe some more will in the future. Or maybe it's a big bust and no one else will sign on. Who knows?Personally. I think it's a lousy plan. If I wanted cruise credits I'd buy a plan straight from the cruise line and get more "non-covered" reasons and less hassle.

Also, the amount of baggage coverage is about the last thing I'd look for in a travel insurance plan. Your homeowner's or renter's coverage should cover you personal possessions while traveling.

Thanks so much for the insight, I appreciate the undertstanding of what occured.

My issue with baggage was noting the diff between the $750.00 and the $1,000.00 and the overall coverages less than what I was unable to obtain and for more $$$ for it.

Either way if I lose a single bag, neither of those two amounts will cover my loss, but once again the comparison was made to describe the reduced coverage for the more $$$.

Archived