Civitavecchia Port to Rome Termini

tsku

Hi, 

I have spent literally hours looking, and can't find the answer. So please forgive me if this has been asked many times. 

My parent's cruise ends in Rome on April 14 and docks at 8am. They need to get to their hotel which is a 15 minute walk from Rome Termini station. I'm struggling with getting them from the port to the city. They are in their 70s and will be able to walk up to 20 minutes on flat ground with their bags, but may struggle with lots of stairs or steep hills. 

There is a SIT bus Shuttle for 30 Eros that goes near Rome Termini, but it leaves at 9:30am. Do you think they can make it if the boat docks at 7am? I don't want them to stress all night before about making the bus. Is the walk to the bus shorter than the walk to the Civi train station? 

Private transfers seem to be about 180 Euros. This is pretty much out of their budget. 

What about the train? It seems to be a little cheaper. How far is the walk to the train station? Is it a hard walk? And, can they buy tickets when they get there? Will that be hard to do if they only speak English? Or do you have to order tickets ahead of time? 

Thanks for any advice, 

Sandra

According to their web site, the Sit bus departs from Largo della Pace, which is the same place that the port bus drops passengers off:  Sit bus shuttle

The train station is about a mile away on foot but there is a public bus from Largo della Pace.  Sometimes there is also a bus from the ship direct to the train station but you can't count on that always being available.   They say it runs every 20 minutes on days when ships are embarking/disembarking:  Civitavecchia Servizi Pubblici Srl - Portlink (civitavecchia-servizi-pubblici-srl.it)

There is now an elevator at the Civitavecchia train station so there's no need to drag luggage up and down stairs, but I would suggest spending a little extra money to take a Frecce train with an assigned seat rather than the regional trains.  

In all, the Sit bus seems like the easiest solution.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

There is now an elevator at the Civitavecchia train station so there's no need to drag luggage up and down stairs, but I would suggest spending a little extra money to take a Frecce train with an assigned seat rather than the regional trains.  

Agreed.

If you choose the train option you'll be heading to Rome at the same time as other ships' passengers who are on a port-of-call visit, and the regional trains will be packed - no fun with luggage.

So book the express

JB 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tsku said:

Hi, 

I have spent literally hours looking, and can't find the answer. So please forgive me if this has been asked many times. 

My parent's cruise ends in Rome on April 14 and docks at 8am. They need to get to their hotel which is a 15 minute walk from Rome Termini station. I'm struggling with getting them from the port to the city. They are in their 70s and will be able to walk up to 20 minutes on flat ground with their bags, but may struggle with lots of stairs or steep hills. 

There is a SIT bus Shuttle for 30 Eros that goes near Rome Termini, but it leaves at 9:30am. Do you think they can make it if the boat docks at 7am? I don't want them to stress all night before about making the bus. Is the walk to the bus shorter than the walk to the Civi train station? 

Private transfers seem to be about 180 Euros. This is pretty much out of their budget. 

What about the train? It seems to be a little cheaper. How far is the walk to the train station? Is it a hard walk? And, can they buy tickets when they get there? Will that be hard to do if they only speak English? Or do you have to order tickets ahead of time? 

Thanks for any advice, 

Sandra

Hi. My husband and I took the train from the port in October. It all depends on where their ship is docked, but ours seemed far, and our walk to the main port area was about 10 minutes. The walk to the train is about another 20?  The train station was about a mile and a half from our ship. We walked, but our younger and had no luggage. There are shuttle busses from the main port area to the train station.  The trains are pretty regular. Hope this helps!  

• Like 1

Here's another thought:

There ARE shared transfers to/from Rome offered by various companies. I have used these very successfully. They cost from 70-90 euros for 2 people + luggage and will pick up your parents just outside their cruise terminal (e.g., they pick up their luggage and walk out the terminal door; they will be waiting with a sign).  They may have to share the shuttle with another 2-4 people, usually but sometimes it ends up being only one party.

The shuttle will drop them at their hotel. This conserves their time and energy for enjoying Rome. 

If you need a recommendation, there are two I've used and I'm happy to share. You can arrange it all in advance. Some allow pre-payment and some prefer cash on the day of the transfer.

Edited by cruisemom42

Thanks all for your advice. It is giving me lots of alternatives to explore. 

Another question - My understanding is that the Freece train only goes to Roma San Pietro  and Roma Ostiense. Are these close Rome Termini? My parent's hotel is near Rome Termini. 

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Here's another thought:

There ARE shared transfers to/from Rome offered by various companies. I have used these very successfully. They cost from 70-90 euros for 2 people + luggage and will pick up your parents just outside their cruise terminal (e.g., they pick up their luggage and walk out the terminal door; they will be waiting with a sign).  They may have to share the shuttle with another 2-4 people, usually but sometimes it ends up being only one party.

The shuttle will drop them at their hotel. This conserves their time and energy for enjoying Rome. 

If you need a recommendation, there are two I've used and I'm happy to share. You can arrange it all in advance. Some allow pre-payment and some prefer cash on the day of the transfer.

Yes please! The bus is $30 each anyway, so maybe a shared transfer would make more sense. 

3 hours ago, tsku said:

Yes please! The bus is $30 each anyway, so maybe a shared transfer would make more sense. 

Here's the one I used in October. It's 85 euro if no one ends up sharing with you and 80 euros if there are others who sign up for the same time as you. (You don't need to solicit others or anything, it's up to them to sign up.). 

Worked great for me, the driver arrived well ahead of the time I'd booked and was waiting for me.

https://sharedshuttle.it/

I had forgotten that the other service I used to use for a shared ride is now only offering private transfers (higher price).  They started doing that during COVID (understandably) but never went back to offering a shared ride option. 🙁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tsku said:

Another question - My understanding is that the Freece train only goes to Roma San Pietro  and Roma Ostiense. Are these close Rome Termini? My parent's hotel is near Rome Termini. 

No, that's the Civitavecchia Express train.  The Frecce trains go non-stop from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini.  The last minute fare is 16 euro.

• Like 1