Getting to Anchorage from Seward

tropicaltravellers

We will disembark in Seward (staying a couple of days), and then picking up our rental car in Anchorage. I know that there are busses, as well as a limousine/taxi service. Has anyone tried any of these companies, and what are your recommendations? I have one quote for $58 pp (min 4 people). Is this a good price? Thanks!

I've heard that most recommend the train - supposed to be very scenic. alaskatravel.com has links to the train schedule along with prices. Due to family considerations, I will end up renting a car one way from seward to anchorage, which costs about $210. All 3 options (train, car, bus/limo) cost roughly the same, depends on your preference.

I disembark at Seward too (HAL). I will not stay over night at Seward and will board train to Anchorage.

Like xavier2005 said, it suppose to be scenic and different (better) view than the road.

One thing u should know is, there is only one train per day. It will leave Seward at 6.30p and arrive Anchorage around 10p, so u need to arrange transportation after that.

There are two trains that run between Seward and Anchorage. The regular everyday train leaves Anch 6:45am arrives Seward 11:05am. Leaves Seward 6:00pm and arrives Anch 10:20pm. Arrival times are not always exactly on time, but always uses the downtown depot in Anch. A great way to go!! ...BTW You can drop off your luggage in the morning for travel that evening and have the day to play in Seward......... Then some cruiseships have a special contracted train for ship passengers only. It leaves around 7am and goes to the Anch airport. It also brings ship passengers down arriving around 6pm. I don't recommend this way. It costs almost double from the regular run (same tracks) and doesn't provide any opportunity for checking out Seward.

The road and tracks run pretty much parallel 2/3 of the way. The train will slow/stop if wildlife is seen and most of the time have some narration. It is nice to be able to get up and move around freely and has very comfortable seating.

There are a few options with buses, shuttles, limos, taxis etc. Only one car rental service in Seward. A suggestion is finding a local, long established service that knows the area well. You can ask the local chamber of commerce for recommendations or comments.

$60 pp is around average if you were to compare costs of the train (regular) or some buses. You might find a tad better deal with a group splitting the cost of a private charter.

The bus is my last choice for transfers Seward/Anchorage. The train is superior scenery compared to the Seward Highway. As already mentioned, about the same pricing. But don't expect to be out of the Anchorage depot before 10:30pm with baggage.

Archived