How to call the ship in an emergency.

rjack22

I am looking for the phone number for the Sky Princess in case the kids would need to get us in an emergency and can't reach us via cell phone.  I have tried to find this information on the website but haven't found it yet.  I would appreciate it if you can tell me where to look.  Yes, I know its very expensive.

7 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

Thanks but that link provides numbers for those calling the ship originating outside the US and Canada.  Anyone else?

The paragraph above the numbers in the link (as milehighako said).

For calls originating outside of the US and Canada, the following numbers should be used, preceded by your country's International Direct Dialing (IDD) code. Please contact your long distance service provider for pricing. For example, if you would like to call the Diamond Princess from the United States, dial +1 661 593 6071.

I'm not sure how @Rick&Jeannieadvice is incorrect.  Looks like you dial it like any domestic long distance number.  I poked around to identify the area code and prefix.  661-593 is Santa Clarita, CA.  This makes sense as Princess' headquarters is Santa Clarita, CA.  My guess is that calls to the ship switchboard go through the PBX (private branch exchange, basically a universal terms for any office phone system which handles calls coming in from the public telephone network) at Princess' headquarters, and then get bounced out of headquarters to satellite phone or maybe via VOIP over the satellite internet connection to the ships.  The phone number suffix, the last 4 digits identifies to the PBX which ship to route the incoming call to.

So, call routing would be a long distance call from wherever the caller is, to Santa Clarita (661), then to the Princess PBX (593), and the phone systems sees the last 4 digits and routs to the proper ship.

I'm not sure how toll charges would apply.  Generally, if you are calling a number with long distance toll charges in excess of what your normal toll rate is, the system routing the call would have to announce, and you would have to agree to those tolls before the call is connected.  The way this page at Princess reads, it sounds almost as if there are no additional toll charges for the caller in excess of what they already pay for long distance.

So many of us now have phone plans that include long distance calling, or land lines which have included long distance, that even long distance calls these days aren't charged.

I say point your kids to the page that Rick&Jeannie provided and call it good.

A better option than all of the above would be ensure that your mobile phones are set up for WiFi calling with your cell provider.  Then, get an Internet package on board and have your phone connected to the Internet at all times.  With WiFi calling, anyone dialing your number will have their call routed over the Internet to your phone and it will behave as normal and your call will be carried over the Internet and onto the WiFi on board.  This also works great when in a foreign port and you hop onto WiFi at a restaurant or resort.