Virgin Voyages or Celebrity Beyond- question for those who have travelled on both

Aisling22

We’re first time cruise goers (aged 36 and 40) with no kids. We’ve recently booked a 10 night Caribbean cruise departing February 2024 with Celebrity on Beyond. I’ve since read some really poor reviews of Celebrity (more customer service focussed than ship related) which have got me a bit worried.

I’m now looking at whether to cancel the Celebrity and lose the £300 deposit and book a Caribbean cruise with Virgin Voyages instead (different itinerary and slightly shorter).

Food’s a big one for us and we’re not huge party people. Like decent accommodation, nice meals, cocktails, decent entertainment and the place (especially pool area and dining) not being entirely crowded. 

Appreciate there seems to be more all included food options on Virgin and liked the idea of the Rockstar Suites which gave access to a less busy pool area (and were much less expensive than The Retreat entry Suites on Celebrity). But, I’m not convinced by the whole feel of the ship having watched videos- a lot of casual dining, nightclubs, tattoo parlours etc. 

Has anyone been on Celebrity Beyond and a Virgin ship and able to give a view/some pros and cons?

I have not sailed on Virgin Cruises but have sailed on Celebrity many times, including twice in the past 7 months. In all honesty, I would take the reviews with a grain of salt. The service on Celebrity has been good for us but it is absolutely not the same as it was 3, 5, 10 years ago. Cruise lines are facing the same labour constraints as restaurants and hotels on land so service levels are lower everywhere. 

That's not to say that Virgin Cruises doesn't have better service - I know the service on Virgin Atlantic was fabulous last time I flew with them - but just that if people are comparing the service levels from 2013 to this year, yes, service will not be as good because cruiselines generally are offering less. But still way more than you'll get in a hotel or most land based resorts. 

I'm not much help because I have not been on those 2 ships but I am a big fan of Celebrity.  The people I know who have recently sailed those Edge Class ships have said they were amazing.  

That said, Virgin does interest me.  Good luck in your decision but since you're already booked and you'll take a hit canceling, I'd go ahead and keep that Beyond booking.