Have you stayed at...

Anyone stay at the Westin Bayshore, Vancouver pre-cruise?  Would love some input on the hotel and things to do in the general area.  Whats in walking distance, any yummy restaurants?  How far is Stanley Park?  Any information would be helpful.

Living in Vancouver I haven't stayed at the Bayshore but will try and answer the rest of your questions. So here goes.

As for a restaurant - next door is Cardero's - I have eaten there a couple of times and some cruising friends from San Francisco joined me and enjoyed the meal etc. There are eateries in the hotel but once again haven't use them.

The area where the hotel is located is right on the seawall or promenade that lead to the east towards the downtown core, the Convention Center and the Cruise ship terminal. If you go west or to the left you will reach the entrance to Stanley Park within a few minutes. 

If you want to take a inner harbour cruise the terminal is on the way to the Park.

Robson Street and Denman are two streets close to the hotel that have a variety of shops and restaurants and most are non-chain.

Hope this helps and I suspect my fellow poster MartinCath will be along with his take on the eateries as he is more in tune with the local scene than I am.

Dennis

• Like 1

Walking it's flat to the pier, no cars and nice views along the scenic Seawall, ~3/4 mile/1.4km distance.

Lift is a pretty swanky resto just along the seawall toward the park - that's the best dining really close, although your hotel itself has some used-to-be-good options (I can't confirm how good right now, they changed chef and menu since last time I was in). Botanist in the Pacific Rim hotel is super-swank and a little closer than the pier on the same street.

Denman Street has restos scattered all along it right down to English Bay, mostly in the affordable to slightly upscale range, with a few standouts like Kingyo Izakaya and Espana (tapas). There are also a ton of restos along Robson within half a mile walk from the Bayshore, Forage bring my pick of that bunch (locavore, game meats, farm-to-table and nose-to-tail eating).

I'd bike to and around the park from Bayshore - multiple bike rental spots very close by and if you're not going too far you can use a free hotel bike (for 2 hours - more than enough to ride the ~7 miles all the way around the park on the Seawall and back to the hotel with a few brief photo stops).

The only downside of the location is the lack of SkyTrain if you want to see more of Vancouver - buses are your only transit for many blocks, but with a Daypass you can transfer freely to and from any mode so it's not really that much extra time to get around the city and it's a lovely quiet little nook with some great views.