Top Three Travel Tips

I couldn't really find a "place" for this question - so I decided this was the best place.

If you had to give someone your TOP THREE TRAVEL TIPS what would they be? They don't have to be cruise related.

Tie colorful ribbons or tape on the handles of your luggage to make it easier to find in baggage claim.

Keep all your documents together in an expanding envelope.

Have a list of all the important numbers you may need.

What tips do you have?

Make photo copies of ALL travel related documents and keep in separate places.

Give a photocopy of these documents with a friend or relative at home so it can be faxed to you in the event that the others are also stolen and you need proof of something.

Keep a small bottle of water and some snack bars with you. You never know when you could be sitting in an airplane for 4 hours waiting for take-off.

Prevent head lice and tape a piece of paper towel to the back of your airplane seat before resting your head on it. I wind some masking tape around a pen and bring a few sheets of paper towels with me. Sometimes the people near me think I'm nuts but then are jealous when they relize how much sense this makes. :)

Before travelling, phone your credit card companies and tell them what countries you'll be travelling to so that you don't have any problems using your credit cards.

Prepare well: plans, money, medications, comfortable shoes, copies of all documents, snacks, etc.

Pack light. There are two types of travelers: those who pack light and those who wish they had.

Don't stress the small stuff. Things will go wrong; you can't change that, but you can change your attitude.

Plan it to death but once you are on your way go with the flow.

Know the general rules and ettiquette of the places you will be visiting.

Let things go, let them go, back off from the stress.

1. Mix up the clothes in the luggage so everyone will have something to wear in case a bag gets lost.

2. Pack 1/2 the clothes / stuff & twice the money

3. Drink lots of water to avoid dehyration.

I couldn't really find a "place" for this question - so I decided this was the best place.

If you had to give someone your TOP THREE TRAVEL TIPS what would they be? They don't have to be cruise related.

Tie colorful ribbons or tape on the handles of your luggage to make it easier to find in baggage claim.

Keep all your documents together in an expanding envelope.

Have a list of all the important numbers you may need.

What tips do you have?

My tips are cruise related...

1. do not venture out at ports of call on your own, especially if your not familiar with the island.

2. Stay in large groups or small groups, but most importantly...stay together at all times.

3. GO TO THE LIFEBOAT DRILL!!!!!

Oh, and one more...

4. SAVE EVERY SAIL & SIGN RECEIPT

JCRUISE

1) The most important thing for your trip enjoyment is your attitude. Little surprises and problems are inevitable. Let the bad roll off you, keep smiling and focus on the positive. Grumpy people have grumpy vacations.

2) Sunburn and dehdryation ruin trips. Wear a hat, sunscreen, and keep in mind that you burn much faster in hotter vacation areas. You also need to drink more water you are used to. Dehydration really saps your energy and causes headaches. Planes are drier than a desert and suck the water out of you, so drink more there too.

3) Be more outgoing than in regular life -- initiate conversations with lots of strangers and meet people early on, it will make your trip much better. You don't need to be an expert conversationalist, you can start by just ask some thoughtful questions and listening attentively.

Plan your trip when the weather will be at its best where you are going and at its worst from where you are leaving.

Bring ear plugs (in case your roommate snores or awakes earlier than you), ditto for an eye mask.

Don't wear yourself out before you leave and leave yourself open to viruses that keep you from enjoying your trip.

1. Travel as much as you can, keep going until there is no more money.

2. See as much as you can at every location. you may not be there again,

3. Enjoy meeting everyone everywhere. Everyone you meet adds something to your life.

keep on cruising

1. Don't be a control freak or a martyr where the kids are concerned. You won't look like a better parent, you will just engender sympathy for your spouse and kids from total strangers.

2. Good attitude! Don't expect incredible food at every meal, the right amount of ice cubes in your drink, the right amount of space between you and your poolside neighbor, total quiet in your cabin, personal service 24/7, perfect shore experiences, etc. Cruise ships are a microcosm of life, a floating community, and you will have to go along to get along just like you (hopefully) do on shore. They aren't your own private yacht with some inconvenient other people on board.

3. Tip well and tip often. Consider mandatory gratuities to be the price of the cruise and a good starting point. Bring a minimum of 100 $1's and use them to tip porters, cabbies, room service guys, cocktail waitresses, etc. Also, use those handy $1's to haggle with local vendors in port- much easier to get the guy down to 6 bucks for a 10 dollar item if you aren't standing there holding a 20! Plus, foreign currency doesn't seem so exotic and beautiful when it's sitting in your junk drawer for two years.

4. Everything Robb said below!

Archived