Recommendations for a Day in Kodiak?

Smokeyham

Hello,

We will be stopping for a day (July 2 -- 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM) in Kodiak.  We will be on a smaller ship (Oceania Insignia) so will not need to tender.  

Any recommendations for things to see and do while we are there?  If there are any local guides that you can recommend we'd love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance.

• Thanks 1

I have been to Kodiak both on business (attending a Alaska Historical Society/Museums Alaska annual joint conference) and on pleasure.

Kodiak has interesting WWII history.  As mentioned above if you are interested in renting a vehicle driving out toward the village of Chignik is interesting.  Look for the famous bears.  Renting a vehicle would also make it easy to visit Ft. Abercrombie.  My husband and I spent several days in Kodiak in 2016 before boarding the Alaska State Ferry Tustamena for a trip to Dutch Harbor/Unalaska, and at that time a downtown gift shop was the pick up location for rental cars.

Museums easily walkable in Kodiak include the Alutiq Museum and the Kodiak History Museum (aka the Baranov Museum).  

I wasn't aware that any cruise ship tendered in Kodiak.  Docking locations include the State Ferry terminal (which is located downtown) and a secondary more industrial location which is a very short walk to the downtown area.