NCL Bliss - LIVE - 1/22/23 to 1/27/23

New2cruise2022

11 minutes ago, lalamom said:

My sister and I are on this cruise also, and our tradition is to make a card with each bar listed by deck and check each one off to make sure we have explored all our drinking options. 😄   These are already printed and ready to go!  Nothing else has been packed... 

Is this card available as a PDF?! I feel like I need this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, lalamom said:

My sister and I are on this cruise also, and our tradition is to make a card with each bar listed by deck and check each one off to make sure we have explored all our drinking options. 😄   These are already printed and ready to go!  Nothing else has been packed... 

My preparations seems incredibly boring compared to yours. @drwbrt , you hear her. Make us some checklists. We are already bringing the AirTags so we can’t get lost, but we need to be able to find the bars so then we can get lost. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, lalamom said:

I printed 2-sided on card stock. 🙂 🍹

Bliss Bar.pdf 117.28 kB · 5 downloads

What an amazing idea!! I'll be creating one of these with all the drinks I want to drink. I always forget so many of them until I get home and have no access to booze (self-choice, I don't go to prison or anything).

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

What an amazing idea!! I'll be creating one of these with all the drinks I want to drink. I always forget so many of them until I get home and have no access to booze (self-choice, I don't go to prison or anything).

Great idea! I usually ask the bartenders what they would like to make or their favorite to make. Have had some interesting (and good!) drinks that way.  Would be interested to see what you come up with. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lalamom said:

I printed 2-sided on card stock. 🙂 🍹

Bliss Bar.pdf 117.28 kB · 27 downloads

We did this for our Bliss Panama Canal cruise back in 2018 (15 days!).  And if you do a search on this site (or someone is smart enough to find the thread) there is drink list excel sheet that can be an invaluable companion to this bar list.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Packing: 

Candy & Treats
We are entering full packing mode. I know I welcome judgment, but I like who I am. Last time @drwbrtand I had a vacation like this was in NYC more than 10 years ago. Sure, we saw the sights like tourists do. Yes, we saw shows on Broadway. And we met Jimmy Fallon and impressed him with my ventriloquist-whistling party trick. But all of our memories included stops along the way to restock our candy. Yes, we are full-grown men. Even adults most of the time. But we also like candy. 
So candy and treats are coming on this trip … as if we won’t already have enough calories from drinks, Starbucks, and endless food. Dentists should look away or rest easy knowing that I am packing tooth decay. 
(We doubt there are many options for candy on the ship. And while I’m sure I can find candy coated in Tajin while I’m Cabo, I’m bringing along my own.)

97073881-BBC3-49E0-B7BF-1484318FD2C4.jpeg

2A6F5C57-5576-4E2B-8511-2C7FE1758638.jpeg

DB4CA8A7-60E0-439A-A7B1-C85D83CA8A89.jpeg

I like candy but wow...that is a lot, LOL.  My motto though is 'if it's not chocolate, the calories are not worth it'.

Even though I have been on the Bliss 3 times, I am really looking forward to the review from you and @drwbrt. I already know it's going to be great!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

I like candy but wow...that is a lot, LOL.  My motto though is 'if it's not chocolate, the calories are not worth it'.

Even though I have been on the Bliss 3 times, I am really looking forward to the review from you and @drwbrt. I already know it's going to be great!

In fairness I have two teenagers that will ration this over the cruise (or until it’s gone) and two 10 hours car rides. Not quite as much as it looks like …

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, lalamom said:

Great idea! I usually ask the bartenders what they would like to make or their favorite to make. Have had some interesting (and good!) drinks that way.  Would be interested to see what you come up with. 😊

This is exactly what I am doing.  I'm going to modify what you sent (thanks again) and include what the recommended drink was from the bartender. No repeats. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Thanks for the big boost of confidence. I hope we can deliver. We're very excited about all of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drwbrt said:

This is exactly what I am doing.  I'm going to modify what you sent (thanks again) and include what the recommended drink was from the bartender. No repeats. 

I have it in a word doc if easier 🙂. Would like to see your drinks of choice! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Ok, these are great ideas. I would like the drinks I want printed on my card, with pictures. I’m going to laminate it, hang it around my neck. That way, by the third or fourth bar I just need to point. 

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Packing: 

Candy & Treats
We are entering full packing mode. I know I welcome judgment, but I like who I am. Last time @drwbrtand I had a vacation like this was in NYC more than 10 years ago. Sure, we saw the sights like tourists do. Yes, we saw shows on Broadway. And we met Jimmy Fallon and impressed him with my ventriloquist-whistling party trick. But all of our memories included stops along the way to restock our candy. Yes, we are full-grown men. Even adults most of the time. But we also like candy. 
So candy and treats are coming on this trip … as if we won’t already have enough calories from drinks, Starbucks, and endless food. Dentists should look away or rest easy knowing that I am packing tooth decay. 
(We doubt there are many options for candy on the ship. And while I’m sure I can find candy coated in Tajin while I’m Cabo, I’m bringing along my own.)

That looks amazing! We can bring snacks onboard, right...they just have to be sealed? (still don't understand why you can't bring sealed water bottles but I guess it is so you purchase their water bottles...which we did).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

That looks amazing! We can bring snacks onboard, right...they just have to be sealed? (still don't understand why you can't bring sealed water bottles but I guess it is so you purchase their water bottles...which we did).

I’m pretty sure you can. If it is in question, we will know after I walk on board with my 7-11 bag. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Packing (cont.):

First Aid: Medicine, Bandages, et al. 
Despite this preparation being a trigger for Boy Scout days I’d rather not remember or my mom diving into a purse (BAG!) that would make Mary Poppin’s carpet bad jealous, here is the prep for the cruise. I know, I have more than I would ever hope to need and more than I would actually need. But I’m not interested in a trip to the Med Center on board. This is me ready — just in case. 

Contents may include but not limited to:

- Bandaids (many shapes, sizes, and colors)

- Neosporin Antibiotic Ointment

- Butterfly Closures (stitches at sea can’t be cheap)

- Cough Drops

- Airborne Immune Support

- Zicam Cold Therapy

- Acetaminophin (Tylenol)

- Ibuprofen (Advil)

- Tums

- Imodium AD (Antidiarheal — because you want that to stop ASAP and it isn’t a problem until it is.)

- Dramamine (Motion sickness can happen on cruises, right?)

- Chapstick (you can never have to many)

- Allergy Meds (Claratin, Zyrtec, Benedryl — yes, lots of allergies here)

- NyQuil (AM and PM)

- Mucinex (for coughing and congestion) 

Amateur Tip (Because I’m not a pro?) Yes, an entire pharmacy in one bag. Most things I found around my house and will return when I’m done. No need to spend $50-100 gathering things special for a cruise if you already have it. And I have little baggies for things I didn’t want to bring an entire bottle or box for.

C0A07B2E-5253-417D-9D91-B42CF1448278.jpeg

BD59E979-A104-4C77-9667-BF441895D4EB.jpeg

I have a cord organizer bag like yours but I lack a first aid bag.  I love this bag.  It beats the packing cube my meds usually are jammed into.  I assume this is a generic zippered bag from China and probably bought on Amazon. What is the title of the bag if I search for it? Thank you! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SunshineGal2022 said:

I have a cord organizer bag like yours but I lack a first aid bag.  I love this bag.  It beats the packing cube my meds usually are jammed into.  I assume this is a generic zippered bag from China and probably bought on Amazon. What is the title of the bag if I search for it? Thank you! 

I got that first aid bag for “free” at Target. It was some promotion with Johnson & Johnson. (Free with the purchase of any three Johnson & Johnson products. I’m sure something from Amazon would work great too. 

image.thumb.png.39f3232c1c0a0c0061b2ea2d8f69ce96.png
Two days? I mean, if I drop the last letter it is … two day. Read that out loud a couple times, “Two day, Two-day … today.” It’s settled. The cruise is practically … today. I talked myself into that. Solid logic. 

Bags are practically packed. I do the plastic, ziplock, rolled up bag thing the is supposed to push out all of the air and compress the clothes. It only sort of works. They are a little pricey and they get old and don’t stay sealed very well. BUT … I still like them. They keep the clothes dry if the bag gets wet for any reason and they keep the clothes kind of compartmentalized. 

Today I will excitedly and begrudgingly print off the tags for the bags. I would have done it 20 days ago when I got the eDocs, but I was fingers crossed 🤞🏽 hoping for an upgrade. The latest manual inventory checks have left little (zero) hope for an upgrade. I am beyond content with the room and location (and rate) that I have. So, I’ll print the tags and figure out how I am going to spend the money I earmarked for an upgrade …

• Like 4

I imagine it is travel day for a lot of passengers. Anyone else tracking inbound aircraft (three and four flights before yours) and checking weather models to make sure air travel doesn't disrupt their cruise? No? Just me? 

Travel safe everyone. Check you have your travel docs twice. If you've got clothes on your back and your travel docs the rest can get worked out after your first drink on the ship.

• Like 3

Prepped for Departure:

Bags are packed. Tags are printed. We bought some tags on Amazon. The clear plastic pouches that ziplock and have a nice metal grommet and cable ties to secure to the bags. The NCL tags slipped in without a problem. 

We are headed to LA in the morning. About a 10 hour drive. Tank is full. Snack box is packed. We will get an early start. Las Vegas is midway so we will stop for lunch and a quick browse through the outlet mall south of the strip. (One of those places in the world where there is always good vacation wear, even in the middle of the winter.) We are pretty prepared and likely won’t find anything we need, but I have a couple of sneakerheads for teenagers that can find a pair of shoes they want. 

We plan to get to LA mid afternoon, just in time for the NFL playoffs. (These are the schedules you keep for sneakerhead, sports-loving teenagers. They are also pleased that we will board on Sunday, just in time for Bengals-Bills.)

So for us, the adventure really begins tomorrow. Bright and early. Thanks to all for those that have educated us and shared in our excitement. You’re all welcome to follow along. 

• Like 5

On 1/19/2023 at 1:57 PM, New2cruise2022 said:

Packing: 

Candy & Treats

You can put some in a bowl from the buffet and it will be like you have a butler since it seems gummies and m&ms are so often requested.   

• Haha 2

Travel Day:

The departure was timely, early, and relatively uneventful. Our departure was also cold. And snowy. It was 11*F and the snow affected visibility at times, but no impact on traction.

The further south and west we travel, the temperature felt increasingly like vacation. When we arrived in LA we were 58 degrees warmer with the sun shining and 69*F. Noice. 

We stayed at a brand new (about 6 months) SpringHill Suites about 25 minutes from the pier. Great place next to plenty of food options. Nice dinner and football to watch. (Unless you are a Giants fan. If you are a Giants fan, TCU fans have been holding support group meetings since the National Championship game against Georgia.)

@drwbrt Rendezvoused with us late last night (around 11:30 PM). His flights were timely as well. I don’t know if this makes me a good brother or the worst brother, but instead of doing the airport pickup, I decided sent him $40 on AppleCash and told him to get an Uber. (I know, the airport pickup is a true sign of friendship, but I decided 10 hours in a car was my max for the day.) 

The Uber was pretty fast (Thanks, Winston). @drwbrt and the rest of walked across the street to In N Out and had a great late night meal. Asleep by 2:45 AM, awake by 6:25 AM. We will be fully functional despite the short sleep. I anticipate this will be the pattern throughout the cruise. Next post at the port …

Notes:

Only one thing was forgotten (that we know of so far) and it isn’t essential. 
The car got very, I mean VERY dirty from the snow and salt on the roads. 
We found a great car wash to remedy the dirt and salt. Best $12 car wash in recent memory. 
The sunrise this morning was free and palm trees worked to make those at home (12*F) fairly jealous. Mission accomplished. 

23E166A4-3C6E-4AA3-BFF8-56C116D1876C.jpeg

3C932AC5-FE2F-4C93-AC7E-8FAA2D2D9CF0.jpeg

DB7E9D30-0815-4BEF-A245-CE9F6037B486.jpeg

• Like 4