Celebrity Cruises Fare Question

unclegrandpa

I am looking at a couple Celebrity cruises. When I go to select a cabin a 2 person booking is considerably cheaper than 1 person. If I pick the 2 person fare and just enter myself twice would there be any issues later on? Would I be charged more at some point later?

35 minutes ago, unclegrandpa said:

I am looking at a couple Celebrity cruises. When I go to select a cabin a 2 person booking is considerably cheaper than 1 person. If I pick the 2 person fare and just enter myself twice would there be any issues later on? Would I be charged more at some point later?

Don't know if the system would allow you to enter your name twice.  But even if it would, you would certainly be charged more at some later date.

Celebrity, and many other cruise lines, charge more for 1 person in a cabin than for 2 persons in a cabin because the base fare is only part of their revenue stream.  Another large part of their revenue is other purchases such as shore excursions and specialty dining. And on average that part of their revenue stream for 1 person in a cabin is only half of that with 2 persons in a cabin. To make up for that loss of revenue, when a cabin is filled by only 1 person, they need to recoup it by charging more for the base fare.

Thus, when they eventually find out that there will only be 1 person in the cabin, they will then either cancel your reservation or raise your fare in order to maintain their desired total revenue stream.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Don't know if the system would allow you to enter your name twice.  But even if it would, you would certainly be charged more at some later date.

Celebrity, and many other cruise lines, charge more for 1 person in a cabin than for 2 persons in a cabin because the base fare is only part of their revenue stream.  Another large part of their revenue is other purchases such as shore excursions and specialty dining. And on average that part of their revenue stream for 1 person in a cabin is only half of that with 2 persons in a cabin. To make up for that loss of revenue, when a cabin is filled by only 1 person, they need to recoup it by charging more for the base fare.

Thus, when they eventually find out that there will only be 1 person in the cabin, they will then either cancel your reservation or raise your fare in order to maintain their desired total revenue stream.

Really. You book for 2 people at AI rates both real with passports etc  You pay the price requested. At check in 1 person is a "no show".  Bring a letter from the missing person saying ,"sorry can't travel for whatever reason. X has its money.

How does X charge the person travelling extra? 

If you book at Sail Only Rates and pre pay the tips surely the same would also apply i.e. no extra charge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, unclegrandpa said:

What ship and sail dates are you looking at?

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

Really. You book for 2 people at AI rates both real with passports etc  You pay the price requested. At check in 1 person is a "no show".  Bring a letter from the missing person saying ,"sorry can't travel for whatever reason. X has its money.

If you book at Sail Only Rates and pre pay the tips surely the same would also apply i.e. no extra charge.

Do they require some kind of letter? A person can be just late for embarkation for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, unclegrandpa said:

Millennium from San Juan for April inside cabin

I'm not seeing the considerable savings as you're talking about for any of the 3 millennium sailings in April 2023. The April 1 sailing is only allowing 2 pax reservations for the inside staterooms for whatever reason, but besides that the total price paid for 2 guests vs 1 guest for these inside rooms is nearly the same. Were you looking at a guarantee cabin?

Edited by NorthStarStateCruiser

14 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I'm not seeing the considerable savings as you're talking about for any of the 3 millennium sailings in April 2023. The April 1 sailing is only allowing 2 pax reservations for the inside staterooms for whatever reason, but besides that the total price paid for 2 guests vs 1 guest for these inside rooms is nearly the same. Were you looking at a guarantee cabin?

Yes. It's 1000 vs 1400 when I looked last night. Are you looking at their American website? 

2 minutes ago, unclegrandpa said:

Yes. It's 1000 vs 1400 when I looked last night. Are you looking at their American website? 

I am on the US site. I can see for the April 8 sailing that there would be a slight discount by making the reservation with 2 people in the room due to the fact there is no guarantee option for the 1 passenger configuration. In this case, you could book the room with a second "ghost" passenger and have them be a no-show at the terminal. No need for a letter or anything like that. The port taxes and fees for the second person would be automatically refunded after they've confirmed they didn't make it on the ship. There would be no increase in the cruise fare for the first passenger.

Note that there are some drawbacks to booking a ghost passenger.

- They recently instituted a new policy on the beverage package where all guests of legal drinking age are required to purchase the beverage package if one person in the room is wanting to purchase it. With this, you'll want to list the ghost passenger's birth date so they are younger than 21 if you were looking to purchase an alcoholic beverage package.

- You may not receive double Captain's club points for cruising solo since 2 people are on the reservation. It's hit and miss whether they award you these.

- Since you are so close to sailing and after the final payment deadline, this doesn't apply but is worth noting that the non-refundable deposit would be forfeited for 2 people instead of 1 in the event you cancel before final payment.

-If you wanted to purchase travel insurance through the cruise line, the price is going to be slightly higher for the 2 person booking than if you purchased it with 1 passenger. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 2:56 AM, the penguins said:

Booking 2 people, and then having one of them not show up, is not the situation described by the OP.  The OP was saying booking himself twice - which would be an obvious attempt at deception.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Booking 2 people, and then having one of them not show up, is not the situation described by the OP.  The OP was saying booking himself twice - which would be an obvious attempt at deception.

I was responding/ questioning your point that Celebrity would raise the fare when it realised there was only 1 passenger. As you rightly the OP's idea of booking themselves twice would be a deception whereas mine has the same effect price wise.