How early can you start to check in on the app

seapad

New here to the VV. Wondering if we can check in online like the other cruise line, and if so, when does online check in start on the app, or can it also be done via the laptop? 

Just want to try the earliest check in time as much as possible.

Thanks.

My non rockstar booking, the app was greyed out on the checkin details until the 173days to sail. I did notify sailor services about a week ago and said I couldn’t add the get ready to sail details. Was able to complete step 6 and select a checkin time.

My rockstar booking is 316 day, and I was able to do the get ready to sail and select a time.

2 hours ago, Fogcityca13 said:

My non rockstar booking, the app was greyed out on the checkin details until the 173days to sail. I did notify sailor services about a week ago and said I couldn’t add the get ready to sail details. Was able to complete step 6 and select a checkin time.

My rockstar booking is 316 day, and I was able to do the get ready to sail and select a time.

Hmmm...your 173 days is just abut 5 1/2 months, which is when I first tried to do mine and was able to.  Sorry, I don't remember the exact "day" count, but I know when I paid off the cruise to get the 10% discount and can time it roughly from there.  Now I'm enjoying the "under 100" count as the cruise gets closer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Hmmm...your 173 days is just abut 5 1/2 months, which is when I first tried to do mine and was able to.  Sorry, I don't remember the exact "day" count, but I know when I paid off the cruise to get the 10% discount and can time it roughly from there.  Now I'm enjoying the "under 100" count as the cruise gets closer.

29 days now for us. Can not wait. 

3 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Definitely not sure if I ran into a bug in the app or if the recent app update was a change in the way VV is scheduling check in times. I did not try to complete my Dec get ready to sail until today, but I was definitely locked out of my July booking until a few days ago.

My cruise, on Valiant Lady, is to begin two weeks from today.

While I did see the app mentioned more than once on their website, I saw NOTHING about pre-registration, even within their extremely lengthy "FAQ" list.

I am somewhat "tech-unfriendly"...I don't think of it as being allergic to some technology, but some technology is clearly allergic to ME. 🤒🤔😖

As I've put it to various people, all of whom burst out laughing, (so they definitely relate!) "I'd rather have a tooth yanked out with rusty pliers wielded by a blind baboon without benefit of anesthetic than try and put another app in my phone."

Question one: Will arriving at the pier not having done the pre-registration be a big deal / pain in the butt / very time-consuming?

Question two: Will the few weirdos on the ship trying to work things without their phones be "outcasts"?  Or is the tablet VV provides in the cabin an adequate substitute?

Edited by jeph
Add info

If you arrive at the terminal without the pre-reg on the app done, you will be directed to an area where you can complete it with assistance. Then you'll check in.  No it is not time consuming.  If you arrive with something that you couldn't accomplish, they will quickly do it for you.  For instance, they were not happy with my security photo; it took approximately 5 seconds for them to take one they liked.

Have you made any dinner reservations?  If not, CALL VV shoreside and they will do it for you over the phone.  The ship is heavily app dependent but there are ways around it.  For example, all entertainment, brunch, etc. can be scheduled as soon as you board.   You can do it on the app or you can go to sailor services and they will make it happen for you.  

I don't think I ever touched the tablet in the room, but my cruise partner did.  You use it for stuff like turning on/off lights, working the tv, etc.  You will need to watch the safety video either on your phone or on the TV and then click a button that you have watched it.

My deal with apps is something like this from my kid--Mom, if you'd use them more, you'd be better at it.  True.....but I did use the one on the ship and it worked fine.  So if this "almost 70" year old can work it, you probably can.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cantgetin said:

If you arrive at the terminal without the pre-reg on the app done, you will be directed to an area where you can complete it with assistance. Then you'll check in.  No it is not time consuming.  If you arrive with something that you couldn't accomplish, they will quickly do it for you.  For instance, they were not happy with my security photo; it took approximately 5 seconds for them to take one they liked.

Have you made any dinner reservations?  If not, CALL VV shoreside and they will do it for you over the phone.  The ship is heavily app dependent but there are ways around it.  For example, all entertainment, brunch, etc. can be scheduled as soon as you board.   You can do it on the app or you can go to sailor services and they will make it happen for you.  

I don't think I ever touched the tablet in the room, but my cruise partner did.  You use it for stuff like turning on/off lights, working the tv, etc.  You will need to watch the safety video either on your phone or on the TV and then click a button that you have watched it.

My deal with apps is something like this from my kid--Mom, if you'd use them more, you'd be better at it.  True.....but I did use the one on the ship and it worked fine.  So if this "almost 70" year old can work it, you probably can.

See, this probably is exactly what I need-- more people around to just shame me into getting with the damn program already! 😆🤣🙃

Edited by jeph
Add info