Transatlantic cruise

Dreamcruise27

Hello,

I’ve always wanted to try a Disney cruise but could not justify the cost… BUT the transatlantic in May is $6k for a veranda guarantee for a family of 4 which seems very affordable for a Disney cruise!  

If seasoned DCL cruisers could answer some of my questions, it’ll be much appreciated!!!

1. is $6000 the usual price for a veranda guarantee for a transatlantic sailing or is this lower than usual?? The reason I ask is because we already have our annual cruise on RCL planned for March so budgeting for another cruise so soon is not ideal… BUT if this is an unusually low price for a transatlantic, I don’t want to miss out!!

2. Are all character meetings additional costs?? I keep reading people talk about booking tea times, Princess meetings etc. and wondering if my kids will miss out on interacting with characters if we can’t get reservations…

3. we will be taking our 7yo and 3yo. Longest cruise the 7yo has done was 22 nights (Vancouver to Hawaii roundtrip) when he was 3 (on Celebrity Eclipse) It was rocky but I have heard that the Atlantic is REALLY rocky… our DD was 2 (last year) when we did 14 nights Bahamas from New Jersey (Anthem of the Seas) and she was fine, motion sickness wise. Is the Transatlantic too much for the kiddos and risk of motion sickness??

4. Bringing bottled water onboard: I think I read there was no limit on how many bottles we can bring onboard. Can we pick up a case from Costco and bring it onboard no problem?

5. Will we get the full Disney Cruise experience on such a long cruise? I’m wondering if things are scaled back because it is such a long cruise and probably have less kids sailing??

Any comments regarding transatlantic sailings to help me make a decision will be much appreciated!!

My hubby has never been to any of the parks and is not a Disney lover like me. I’m hoping to immerse him in a Disney cruise and make him fall in LOVE 😂 

4 hours ago, Dreamcruise27 said:

Hello,

I’ve always wanted to try a Disney cruise but could not justify the cost… BUT the transatlantic in May is $6k for a veranda guarantee for a family of 4 which seems very affordable for a Disney cruise!  
1. is $6000 the usual price for a veranda guarantee for a transatlantic sailing or is this lower than usual?? The reason I ask is because we already have our annual cruise on RCL planned for March so budgeting for another cruise so soon is not ideal… BUT if this is an unusually low price for a transatlantic, I don’t want to miss out!!

2. Are all character meetings additional costs?? I keep reading people talk about booking tea times, Princess meetings etc. and wondering if my kids will miss out on interacting with characters if we can’t get reservations…

I would say that is a good price.

Disney as a rule does not cut corners.

Each night the characters gather in the main stairwell and so lots of opportunity to see them and take photos even if child is not standing right next to them.

• Like 1

I don't have first hand experience for all of your questions, but I think I can help out with some.

1. I've never priced out a TA with Disney, but it's seems like a great price for 4 people in a verandah (guaranty). You'll pay more than 6000 for most of their week long sailings from Florida (much more for their Alaskan and European itineraries) in a verandah.

By the way, is it a VGT with restrictions, or is it a Verandah guarantee in a specific category? It's important to understand the differences, and to research the kinds of rooms and locations that you could be placed in (a TA is a long cruise to be in an unsatisfactory room).

2. I believe that only the Princess tea is an extra cost. This includes tea time treats and gifts. All of the standard character meetings are free. You can sign up for the "royal gathering" when you do online check in. This is a booked time to meet 4 or 5 of the princesses all at once. Otherwise all of the characters, including the princesses will be out throughout the ship. Sometimes you'll run into them just walking around. Other times, they're at a designated spot at a certain time (details in the daily navigator/schedule), and you can line up to meet them. Sometimes the characters visit the kids clubs too.

3. Unfortunately I don't have the TA experience to speak on this.

4. Yes, you can bring a case of water on board. But you have to bring it with you... It can't be checked.

5. You will definitely get the full experience. From Trip Reports that I've read, you will likely even have additional special nights and activities that would not be on a standard 7 day cruise.

Personally, I wasn't a huge Disney fan growing up, but we're pretty immersed in it now with our child (also 7). The first time you hear the horn play "when you wish upon a star" is pretty magical.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dreamcruise27 said:

Hello,

If seasoned DCL cruisers could answer some of my questions, it’ll be much appreciated!!!

3. we will be taking our 7yo and 3yo. Longest cruise the 7yo has done was 22 nights (Vancouver to Hawaii roundtrip) when he was 3 (on Celebrity Eclipse) It was rocky but I have heard that the Atlantic is REALLY rocky… our DD was 2 (last year) when we did 14 nights Bahamas from New Jersey (Anthem of the Seas) and she was fine, motion sickness wise. Is the Transatlantic too much for the kiddos and risk of motion sickness??

4. Bringing bottled water onboard: I think I read there was no limit on how many bottles we can bring onboard. Can we pick up a case from Costco and bring it onboard no problem?

5. Will we get the full Disney Cruise experience on such a long cruise? I’m wondering if things are scaled back because it is such a long cruise and probably have less kids sailing??

Any comments regarding transatlantic sailings to help me make a decision will be much appreciated!!

My hubby has never been to any of the parks and is not a Disney lover like me. I’m hoping to immerse him in a Disney cruise and make him fall in LOVE 😂 

We did a TA in 2018 and paid $4500 for two adults in a category 7A, so I would say $6K for 4 is a good deal.  We were lucky, we had a very smooth sailing. It was one of best cruises ever, along with a WBPC and Hawaii this past spring.

There is no extra charge for meet and greets, with the exception, as previously mentioned, the Princess Tea.  There are two meet and greets (Princess Gathering and Frozen) you have to sign up for beforehand, but again, no extra charge.

Fear not, the longer cruise doesn't make a difference in getting the full Disney experience. As a matter of fact, it's better, because there are some activities not available on shorter cruises, such as a character breakfast and depending on the time of year, other special events in addition to the pirate night, such as Halloween on the High Seas or Marvel at Sea.  And, btw, less kids is a good thing, especially for us, since we're adults sailing without kids. That's why we like the longer cruises. On our TA, we had 122 children on the Magic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...