Reduced port stays

NYAS

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Except they flat out lie about the weather.

Oceania cancelled our Falklands tour three days before we were to arrive and said nothing. Tour operators sent messages to passengers that their tours were cancelled. Destination Services told all inquiring that the ship was going to the Falklands as scheduled. The ship never set a course to the Falklands from Punta del Estes. A day before planned arrival the Captain came on and said the Falklands were being cancelled. In a letter he wrote the cancellation was due to 40 ft seas and high winds at the tendering location.

I received an email directly from Patrick Watts saying the seas were calm with only a light breeze as had been forecasted. Two other ships came into port and had easy tendering operations.

I can tell another similar story of the episode in skipping Chacabuco. 

Our three missed ports don’t include the ports where our stays were cut short earlier.

So what exactly you are saying? Oceania just enjoys to cancel ports and go around circling the ocean? They just enjoy upsetting their guests and risking losing customers? They enjoy losing the income from the excursions? Just like that, for no reason, because the captain doesn't feel like going into ports?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

So what exactly you are saying? Oceania just enjoys to cancel ports and go around circling the ocean? They just enjoy upsetting their guests and risking losing customers? They enjoy losing the income from the excursions? Just like that, for no reason, because the captain doesn't feel like going into ports?

I don’t think that what Pinotlover was saying. It’s your interpretation, but the statement just explained what happened on their recent cruise.

We’re loyal to Oceania and looking forward to cruising with them in the future. Our next cruise is coming in April and we also have two more already booked. We always enjoyed our cruises including the last one post-covid in November.

That being said, it doesn’t mean that we have no concerns about all recent schedule changes and port time cuts. It’s all very alarming now. Obviously, there’re lot of financial problems going on. Poor NCLH stock performance is a proof. I understand that some budget cuts are unavoidable at this point. At the same time, I agree with all posters that Oceania should be more open with their customers earlier in the booking process to allow them make a right decision weather to make a reservation for the particular cruise or look elsewhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Enjoy has nothing to do with it. Oceania saved a lot of fuel = money by not going to the Falklands. Their financial gain was our Travel experience loss. The great weather conditions lie only added insult to injury. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, osandomir said:

I don’t think that what Pinotlover was saying. It’s your interpretation, but the statement just explained what happened on their recent cruise.

We’re loyal to Oceania and looking forward to cruising with them in the future. Our next cruise is coming in April and we also have two more already booked. We always enjoyed our cruises including the last one post-covid in November.

That being said, it doesn’t mean that we have no concerns about all recent schedule changes and port time cuts. It’s all very alarming now. Obviously, there’re lot of financial problems going on. Poor NCLH stock performance is a proof. I understand that some budget cuts are unavoidable at this point. At the same time, I agree with all posters that Oceania should be more open with their customers earlier in the booking process to allow them make a right decision weather to make a reservation for the particular cruise or look elsewhere.

For the record, I'm not loyal to any cruise line and will gladly sail on Oceania, Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal or Azamara, given the right itinerary and price. I believe that at this point, O newer ships still offer the best value for money, but we go on case by case basis.

That said, itinerary changes are part of cruising experience. I don't think that any line is planning those changes and/or doing them without a very good reason . No line wants angry customers. I'm pretty sure that those changes are forced and they don't really have much choice. We don't know the whole picture.

We experienced some changes on many sailings with many lines, including our latest cruise with SS from Dubai where they cancelled 3 nights in Doha (many guests had tickets to the World Cup and lost a lot of money). 

I'm actually more concerned about reduced times in ports. This was one of the reasons we cancelled our O cruise next May and replaced it with SS sailing to the same region. 

Just now, pinotlover said:

Enjoy has nothing to do with it. Oceania saved a lot of fuel = money by not going to the Falklands. Their financial gain was our Travel experience loss. The great weather conditions lie only added insult to injury. 

Well, according to this logic, they could just go in circles the whole cruise.. but going in circles consumes fuel as well I believe?

Honestly, I don't believe this was the reason. They also lost revenues from excursions and "gained" a lot of angry customers.

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I have encountered previous situations where the ship said X and the excursion operators said Y.  The noly way to know for sure is to use the internet and actually check the maritime weather forecasts for that  area and the route the ship would have to take to get there.  It is quite possible that both were correct. That the weather at the Falklands might have been fine, but there might have been a storm that the ship would have to go through to reach them.  The other ships that did portcould have been coming from a location that allowed them to miss the storm.

If the ship did not go to the Falklands where did it go during those 3 days?

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Accidently we will be on this sailing.. but the funny thing is that the very next sailing shows the actual Bordeaux, not Le Verdon.

So are the “tides” changing in one week? Probably not.  Yes, Le Verdon was not misleading….just underwhelming, especially compared to Bordeaux Port. 
Can we all agree that recently there have been numerous itinerary, port and time changes?

Weve been cruising only Oceania since 2007….have encountered an isolated situation occasionally but nothing like our recent and upcoming cruises.  Not limited to a particular region…..changes are across all. 

6 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

So are the “tides” changing in one week? Probably not.  Yes, Le Verdon was not misleading….just underwhelming, especially compared to Bordeaux Port. 
Can we all agree that recently there have been numerous itinerary, port and time changes?

Weve been cruising only Oceania since 2007….have encountered an isolated situation occasionally but nothing like our recent and upcoming cruises.  Not limited to a particular region…..changes are across all. 

But this was the original itinerary for both sailings. Why the first one has Le Verdon and the following week Bordeaux? I have no idea. Maybe Bordeaux was not available on that date? 

Underwhelming, I agree, and we will be taking an excursion to Bordeaux. Not ideal.

Yes, many changes, but is this unique to Oceania? I agree that this is disappointing, I just disagree that they do it on purpose. Especially considering that most changes are communicated 12-18 months in advance, giving the guests plenty of time to cancel. SS advised us about the Doha port cancellation 6 weeks before the cruise, and I still don't believe it was intentional. Call me naïve, but I think all cruise lines are well aware that long term impact of those changes on their customers is far greater than any short term savings.

That's my opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree.

2 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Tides change twice daily with the phase of the Moon (2 high tides and 2 low tides), shifting roughly one hour per day.  So times of arrival and departure are very specific to the days and times.  Both  have to be considered. I would guess that tide level is not the only consideration on port selection, but certainly a major one.

I'm not trying to justify O's determination of ports, but simply stating the physics of one element.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3

Well, Bordeaux is scheduled for a two day stop on some itineraries, and a one day stop on others.  It takes around 4.5 hours to sail to it from Le Verdon, once the tides are favorable.  It apparently takes about half that time to take people on a coach.  This summer, Marina and another O ship went to Bordeaux by river.  I suppose if people want to sail into Bordeaux, they should choose an itinerary with Bordeaux for more than one day, although that obviously doesn't help people who've already chosen an itinerary.  But I see Bordeaux like any other place that has another city in parentheses on the itinerary (like Athens and Seville).  If you want to go to the first place listed, you'll get there with a little more effort than you would in a place which has a cruise port right there in the city.  If you don't want to spend time traveling, you choose to stay in the port city.

As for onboard times, my experience has been that Oceania has required passengers to be back on board, or at the tender location, a half hour pre-departure time.  I can't remember any ports where an hour was required, though I suppose there likely are some.  So yes, we'll have to be back earlier than before.  But most days, I'm doing things on my own and ready to come back to the ship around 4 or so.  So that's OK.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

On 3/20/2023 at 12:54 AM, Jayne E said:

Way too many shortened port times, cancelled ports and an entire itinerary cancelled!

August 2023 Riviera, all Croatia ports cancelled and replaced with 2 stops in Igoumenitsa and 2 other unknown Greek ports….notified after final payment.
Last week notified that Venice (expected Trieste) and Croatia ports cancelled. Replaced with a sea day, Izmir & Istanbul. $250 SBC offered for “inconvenience”. We cancelled!

Hey @Jayne E could you share the embarkation date of the Aug 2023 Riviera where they changed ports on you? We're looking at a Marina Oct 2023 with some of the same ports, trying to see when/if they update the online itineraries. Will help us decide whether to book or not, and after looking online I wasn't sure which exact cruise they did this to you on, thanks!!

2 hours ago, babysteps said:

Hey @Jayne E could you share the embarkation date of the Aug 2023 Riviera where they changed ports on you? We're looking at a Marina Oct 2023 with some of the same ports, trying to see when/if they update the online itineraries. Will help us decide whether to book or not, and after looking online I wasn't sure which exact cruise they did this to you on, thanks!!

So sorry......typo....it was our August 2022 on Riviera that had the changes with Croatia ports cancelled.  Now our June 2024 had all Croatia ports cancelled.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 3:49 PM, pinotlover said:

Just to throw a counter story into the mix, we were on a recent Azamara transatlantic and due to bad seas, the captain received permission to go south instead of north, and during a talk he explained it would cost almost $200-300k in additional fuel to keep us warm and in calm seas.  The ship had only 300ish passengers, so they spent almost half of what we paid for the cruise extra (we got an amazing deal) to keep us comfortable $1000pp (though he said crew safety and comfort was also a factor).

The food was also very good, though a bit below Oceana.  Will be rating our very expensive summer cruise in June on Oceana's newest ship vs this pretty great Azamara experience.  That said, the prices we got arent there anymore either.

I guess it can even out, but I hung out with the captains wife and it helped that a new management team with some flexibility wanting to build the brand was approving the expense.  NCL should not be resting on laurels of loyalty...we will see.  Makes me wonder who is calling the shots.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Just to throw a counter story into the mix, we were on a recent Azamara transatlantic and due to bad seas, the captain received permission to go south instead of north, and during a talk he explained it would cost almost $200-300k in additional fuel to keep us warm and in calm seas.  The ship had only 300ish passengers, so they spent almost half of what we paid for the cruise extra (we got an amazing deal) to keep us comfortable $1000pp (though he said crew safety and comfort was also a factor).

The food was also very good, though a bit below Oceana.  Will be rating our very expensive summer cruise in June on Oceana's newest ship vs this pretty great Azamara experience.  That said, the prices we got arent there anymore either.

I guess it can even out, but I hung out with the captains wife and it helped that a new management team with some flexibility wanting to build the brand was approving the expense.  NCL should not be resting on laurels of loyalty...we will see.  Makes me wonder who is calling the shots.

Safety is number one concern. I’ve only been on Azamara once. I loved it!

I’m new to Oceania so looking forward to July Alaska. 
I’m solo and had a great deal but hearing so much negativity I upgraded to a concierge balcony. I love a balcony but just didn’t want to spend the money. 
I’ve been on at least 50 cruises over the years. Never had a bad one. I call them a mystery cruise because you never know where you will end up! I do plan shore excursions but they are often not as described. Most are wonderful! Often ended up in different ports! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

Just to be clear we’ve very much enjoyed our recent Oceana and Regent cruises, though they were Transatlantic ones and more for food and seas days than ports.

I’ve never done a transatlantic! Someday!

Always the issue. Those that cruise for the ship versus those cruising for the ports. Looks like the cruisers are winning out. After our recent Marina experience and having spoken with several on the recently completed OZ circumnavigation quite a few of us are cancelling our Dec 23-Jan24 35 day OZ cruise. We’ll make both Oceania and the cruisers, not concerned about missing ports,  happy by freeing up space for them. Not willing to spend $35K each, including BZ class air, to float around missing ports or watching the hull be cleaned for the following cruise. They’ll just be more delightful sea days for the cruisers, Oceania’s customers of choice.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Always the issue. Those that cruise for the ship versus those cruising for the ports. Looks like the cruisers are winning out. After our recent Marina experience and having spoken with several on the recently completed OZ circumnavigation quite a few of us are cancelling our Dec 23-Jan24 35 day OZ cruise. We’ll make both Oceania and the cruisers, not concerned about missing ports,  happy by freeing up space for them. Not willing to spend $35K each, including BZ class air, to float around missing ports or watching the hull be cleaned for the following cruise. They’ll just be more delightful sea days for the cruisers, Oceania’s customers of choice.

Wow, Pinot. That seems kind of harsh. Wishing you much happiness on your new cruise line. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Do you have any guarantees that other lines won't miss ports? On our last SS cruise almost half ports have been changed, including 3 nights in Doha for the World Cup (they had to rename the cruise).

I cruise for the ports, we have now booked on 6 different cruises with 4 different lines, including O. There is zero evidence that O cancels ports more than other lines. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SophieM said:

Wow, Pinot. That seems kind of harsh. Wishing you much happiness on your new cruise line. 

Still have the Vista booked in June and paid for. 13 port days on a 14 day cruise. One sea day. How they perform on that cruise will determine if we keep our cruise next April. Several lines go to Japan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

When spending $35K you don’t want to wind up with as many sea days as a  crossing cruise.  Our first 17 O cruises, cancelled ports,  shortened port stops and completely changed itineraries were never something to be concerned about and didn’t occur except for an isolated obvious extreme weather condition. Our last 3 cruises and one future have been quite different.  Croatia ports cancelled on 2 cruises and Venice switched to Istanbul (expected Trieste) and 14 day southern Carib cancelled and replaced with 12 day. western Carib cruise. We cancelled 3. Never any explanation for these changes. 
We never use O air or excursions but with all the changes, one may now have to. 

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Still have the Vista booked in June and paid for. 13 port days on a 14 day cruise. One sea day. How they perform on that cruise will determine if we keep our cruise next April. Several lines go to Japan.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise! You might keep in mind that the Vista will only have been sailing a short time and give some grace to the ship, the crew, the dining venues, and the captain, as he makes his final port decisions.

24 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

We’re also on next year April cruise to Japan. We’re on Riviera for 21 days with 2 sea days in May. How it goes will determine if we go forward with O to Japan.

Edited by Jayne E
Typo

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Always the issue. Those that cruise for the ship versus those cruising for the ports. 

To me it's not "Those that cruise for the ship versus those cruising for the ports".

It's those who have realistic expectations and know that itinerary changes are one of the biggest risks of cruising and you need to accept them versus those who claim that those changes are made on purpose to save money.

It's those who enjoy their cruises even if things don't not always go according to the plan versus those who always find a reason to complaint and blame the cruise line for anything, even things that are beyond their control.

• Like 1

Let me tell you about Puerto Chacabucco and that missed port.

The ship was scheduled to arrive at 07:00 and commence tendering operations shortly thereafter. We had a ship shorex booked for 7:15. Others started at 7:30. Passengers up early , stuff down breakfast, then start piling into the Lounge for the tender tickets.

The ship is still moving, but Destination Service tells us we should be cleared soon. We sit and sit, the Lounge fills .

At about 8:45, one of the other passengers stands up, with iPad in hand, and announces we have sailed nearly 60 miles past Chacabucco and at the current ship’s speed we passed it about 02:00 in the morning! People started checking their phones and sure enough the port was long in our rear view mirror. Destination Service did a disappearing act.

At 08:00, the Captain came on and said he just cancelled the port! “ Just”, really! Then absurd fake weather report followed that was easily checked on line.

Mutiny on the Marina was close. We were told:

1.  The CD doesn’t like making early morning announcements over the system because some like to sleep late and it wouldn’t be fair to them.

2. Only the Captain can announce a port is being missed. No one else is authorized to tell all we passengers sitting in the Lounge for an extended period that the port was being skipped.

Ak1004 is obviously correct. This is what we now need to expect on Oceania.

• Like 1