Remedy for Sea-Sickness

I went to my local Walgreen store today to ask if it was safe for an 8 yr old and 9 yr old to take Bonine. The Pharmacist told me something I have never heard on the Boards before...you can give children Benedril and it does the exact same thing as Bonine and has the same basic ingredients. I had no idea! You can purchase the generic brand and save $ - a good tip! happy Cruising!

We used to give our kids Benadryl for long international flights (per our pediatrician). It did make them very sleepy which was great for a 12 hour plane trip, but possibly not for a cruise.

Thanks for the replies...I had the same concern - that the Benedryl would cause drowsiness...I actually think the Ginger tablets work great. The Pharmacist also said that Bonine is okay for an 8 and 9 year child - one tablet in a 24 hour period. Anyone out there ever give Bonine to their young children? Happy Cruising!

We've had good luck with the Ginger tablets and have not had any side effects.

But, let me point out that it should be taken as a preventative and not as a remedy for seasickness.

They say the best cure is to sit under the nearest shade tree.

I don't know what ship you're going on, but after having been horribly sick on the Disney Magic, I think I bought everything under the sun for my 1st trip on the Mariner. Never touched any of it.

One thing I have found (thanks to these boards) is Ginger Altoids. I was skeptical, but anytime I have an upset stomach I take one and it works. On the Magic I took a Non Drowsy formula Dramamine... knocked me out for 12 hours! Can't imagine what some of that stuff would do to a kid! Fortunately my DD doesn't notice the motion.

Bonine & Dramamine II=Meclazine (generic)

Dramamine & Benedryl= Diphenhydramine (generic)

Diphenhydramine is used as a sleeping aid in Tylenol PM, and other otc sleep aids. One tablet will effectively knock you out for up to 12 hours!

Meclazine is what my doctor allowed us to give to our kids, but only the 12 mg. dose (equal to a half tablet of bonine....which is chewable.) Even though Bonine and Dramamine II are considered "Less Drowsy" I still use them at night time only....they just make me a bit light headed, NOTHING like regular dramamine does!

I bought my bottle of ginger tabs over the weekend, and will be using them on the next cruise. After 8 cruises I hope to stay totally alert!

Take Care,

Jaime

The only problem with that is that they are not the same. I have given my boys Benedryl (OK number two because getting number one to take a pill is practically impossible) and it makes my kids hyper little rabbits. We bought childrens Bonine on the advice of our doctor (it never hurts to call your doc and ask) and it really helped Steven who was queesy the first night.

Like Angelpug we gave it at night for both Steven and I. Steven did not need it past the first day. I take it the entire cruise.

Archived