Does Anyone Know If Bed Bugs Are Cruising Also?

Terrence Richards

I am sure all of you travelers are aware that there has been an increase of bed bugs being found in hotels, motels, and resorts.

Have any of you had any first hand experiences with these critters on a cruise ship or know of someone else who slept with them and then brought them home?

We all know that cruise lines attempt to keep all negative happenings in secret from the cruising public.

I would imagine that the web site of the agency that inspects cruise ships for food preparation, etc., would post this information about bed bugs. If anyone knows how to find that information, would you please post it here as a link for all of us. Thanks!

Let's help each other to be "itch free"!

Terrence

I am sure all of you travelers are aware that there has been an increase of bed bugs being found in hotels, motels, and resorts.

Have any of you had any first hand experiences with these critters on a cruise ship or know of someone else who slept with them and then brought them home?

We all know that cruise lines attempt to keep all negative happenings in secret from the cruising public.

I would imagine that the web site of the agency that inspects cruise ships for food preparation, etc., would post this information about bed bugs. If anyone knows how to find that information, would you please post it here as a link for all of us. Thanks!

Terrence

Yes, I guess there are, but only in Deck 8 obstructed-view cabins.

Yes, I guess there are, but only in Deck 8 obstructed-view cabins.

<ROTFLMAO>!!!

I didn't bug anyone in my 8 deck OV cabin!

If you want to get HONEST answers about cruise ship incidents and perils, here:

http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp?section=transportation&obj=cruise.htm&cssNav=browsecyb

is the place to go.

I have NEVER had bed bugs, in all my cruises, and I am allergic to lots of things and would be the first to get them, no doubt!- In fact, going for my allergy shots tomorrow!

Karie,

Whow would gladly risk bed bugs and other beasties to be on a nice ship tomorrow! <sigh!>

If itch free is the goal, may I suggest packing some Hydorocortosone Acetate equivalent to 5 mg of Hydrocortisone in a cream base of Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Light Mineral Oil, Methylparaben, Polysorbate-60, Propylparaben, Purified Water, and Sorbitan Stearate?

Hi Terrence:

I also read an article in the Science Times section of the Paper of Record by Andrew Jacobs 11/27/2005 about a Park Avenue home discovering them as well as other articles on the ressurection of these pests; how they are headed to mainland USA (and indeed it would seem already in NYC) and we need to be on guard and prepared for them.

Having never had a bed bug bite I asked my 81 year old parents had they ever encountered a bed bug. My dad did as a child and during WW2 and both my grandmother and the US Army were pretty fastidious. He said the itching was unbearable, worse than posion ivy.

If one is bitten over the counter remedies won't be of much help. A prescription for Lidex Creme (I prefer cream to the ointment) along with a topical anesthesic such as Lidocaine would be your best bet.

Here is one link to a commercial products availble to rid oneself of the louse:

http://www.diatectresults.com/morebbinfo.html

I like this web site as it gives excellent information - a sort of Bed Bugs 101.

Jeanne

If itch free is the goal, may I suggest packing some Hydorocortosone Acetate equivalent to 5 mg of Hydrocortisone in a cream base of Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Light Mineral Oil, Methylparaben, Polysorbate-60, Propylparaben, Purified Water, and Sorbitan Stearate?

May I humbly suggest DDT.:)

Here's a link to a thread about bed bugs over on the RCI boards. I only read a couple of posts and immediately start feeling itchy. Don't think there are any of these critters on the QM2, then again, who knows, maybe that's why Wawryk is retiring.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=304966&highlight=bed+bugs

Cruiserking

You know, there's a great word for that phantom itchy feeling when you think about bugs - "formication". So people that feel that way are, indeed, formicators.

And here's some bed bug trivia for you - the biggest reason for the recent explosion of these nasty critters was the development of the very effective gel to fight cockroaches. Before that, pest control companies would have to spray for roaches on a regular basis, and that kept the bed bugs at bay. With the gel, cockroaches are now largely under control, but we're back to square one with bed bugs ...

Thanks to all of you who responded to my "bug" concern. Special thanks to those who provided some links for all of us to examine. They were all interesting and a little scary to think what may be waiting for us in our public beds. I also enjoyed the humor that this topic has provoked. I myself even wonder if those little bugs ever get sea sick and call for the ship's doctor. That would be the perfect time to give them all a lethal shot of something. Maybe yesterday's lobster soup from the Queens Grill.

Hope to get more comments. Thankfully, no one yet has had the first hand of experience of being bitten. I also wonder if those little guys try to attack the chocolate placed on our pillow. Maybe the chocolate keeps them away!!

Till next time.........Terrence

P.S. A special hello to my cruise friend, Jeannie S.

QE2 =7 cruises

Vistafjord/Caronia= 2 cruises

QM2= 2 cruises and booked for Oct. 12, 2006 (hopefully bug free)

Thanks to all of you who responded to my "bug" concern. Special thanks to those who provided some links for all of us to examine. They were all interesting and a little scary to think what may be waiting for us in our public beds. I also enjoyed the humor that this topic has provoked. I myself even wonder if those little bugs ever get sea sick and call for the ship's doctor. That would be the perfect time to give them all a lethal shot of something. Maybe yesterday's lobster soup from the Queens Grill.

Hope to get more comments. Thankfully, no one yet has had the first hand of experience of being bitten. I also wonder if those little guys try to attack the chocolate placed on our pillow. Maybe the chocolate keeps them away!!

Till next time.........Terrence

P.S. A special hello to my cruise friend, Jeanne S.

QE2 =7 cruises

Vistafjord/Caronia= 2 cruises

QM2= 2 cruises and booked for Oct. 12, 2006 (hopefully bug free)

When we were on the QM2 last Sept I got bitten by something. I had been sitting on the chairs near the winter gardens when a large bite appeared on my arm. Now this could probably have been a mosquito or something similar as it was on the prom deck next to some doors to the outside deck. I most certainly didn't have any problems with the bed!! Slept like a log!!!!!!

Isn't it funny when we start talking about nits and nasties we all start itching despite having a clean bill of health.

Elaine

Archived