British Isles Weather...Balcony?

erinsmom03

We are booked on a British Isle cruise for June 2024, sailing from Amsterdam. I normally always book a balcony room. I enjoy sitting out there enjoying the ocean, especially at night. However, the balcony was often quite wet/cold last summer in Alaska. I couldn't enjoy it as much as usual. It was worth it just for glacier viewing, though. Is the balcony worth it on the British Isles cruise? Can I expect to be able to enjoy time out there while we are at sea? Or would a room with panoramic windows that have an impressive view be just as good, if not better?

19 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

We are booked on a British Isle cruise for June 2024, sailing from Amsterdam. I normally always book a balcony room. I enjoy sitting out there enjoying the ocean, especially at night. However, the balcony was often quite wet/cold last summer in Alaska. I couldn't enjoy it as much as usual. It was worth it just for glacier viewing, though. Is the balcony worth it on the British Isles cruise? Can I expect to be able to enjoy time out there while we are at sea? Or would a room with panoramic windows that have an impressive view be just as good, if not better?

How long is a piece of string?

Last summer in the UK the temperature reached over 40C/100F.

Equally, in June it’s perfectly possible for it to be nearer 15C/60F. And much cooler at night.

And the temperature will vary around the country but as a general rule, as in the US, the further north you are the colder it’ll be.

I’d say you’ve a decent chance of being able to sit out for at least some of your cruise - but layers are the answer as evenings may well be pretty chilly and rain is always a possibility.

(Also note that on a British Isles cruise you won’t enjoy stunning views like in Alaska or the Norwegian fjords. You’ll be too far offshore most of the time and in any case the UK coast is not very spectacular apart from parts of Scotland.)

3 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

How long is a piece of string?

Last summer in the UK the temperature reached over 40C/100F.

Equally, in June it’s perfectly possible for it to be nearer 15C/60F. And much cooler at night.

And the temperature will vary around the country but as a general rule, as in the US, the further north you are the colder it’ll be.

I’d say you’ve a decent chance of being able to sit out for at least some of your cruise - but layers are the answer as evenings may well be pretty chilly and rain is always a possibility.

(Also note that on a British Isles cruise you won’t enjoy stunning views like in Alaska or the Norwegian fjords. You’ll be too far offshore most of the time and in any case the UK coast is not very spectacular apart from parts of Scotland.)

Thank you for your input! I know it's 90% guessing at this point. I'm facing the tough choice of either sharing a junior suite with my husband and almost 21 year old daughter, and having a balcony; or going full suite with two bedrooms and two bathrooms, but no balcony. I'm just going to have to figure out which is more important, a little privacy and space for everyone, or a balcony. It's a 12 night cruise, so that's a lot of time to get on each other's nerves lol.

Gumshoe has summed it up.

In fact just "how long is a piece of string" pretty-well covers it.

Odds are in your favour in June - it certainly won't be frosty or snowy, but that's the only thing that's guaranteed. It can be warm & sunny, or it can be chilly, wet & stormy - and it can often go from the one to the other on the same day.

Prices for balcony cabins vs other cabins do vary a lot depending on itinerary - significantly more expensive for a Caribbean cruise with lots of sea-days, more marginal for a port-intensive Baltic cruise.

So perhaps figure the extra cost of a balcony for this cruise & decide whether you think the extra is worth the risk of perhaps not the getting full benefit

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Bull said:

in June - it certainly won't be frosty or snowy,

I've personally seen snow (though not frost) in Edinburgh on 1 June!!

On the other hand, It's most probably quite warm and dry 🙂 Just make sure you're flexible about what to wear.  Layers and something waterproof will leave you prepared for almost everything.

Edited by fruitmachine
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

Serves you right for living in Edinburgh & not Lee-on-the-Solent 😜 😏

JB 🙂

PS This message will self-destruct in June if the un-thinkable happens

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

On the other hand, It's most probably quite warm and dry 🙂 Just make sure you're flexible about what to wear.  Layers and something waterproof will leave you prepared for almost everything.

I live in Michigan... we are quite used to experiencing all 4 seasons in one day, so we are pretty flexible. Thanks!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

I'm just going to have to figure out which is more important, a little privacy and space for everyone, or a balcony. It's a 12 night cruise, so that's a lot of time to get on each other's nerves lol

Have you thought of a regular balcony for yourself and your husband (instead of a suite)  and perhaps an interior for your daughter?  She could then enjoy some time with you  on your balcony and the extra interior cabin shouldn't be too pricey compared to a suite for three.  It might be a lateral move as they say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, momrox1 said:

Have you thought of a regular balcony for yourself and your husband (instead of a suite)  and perhaps an interior for your daughter?  She could then enjoy some time with you  on your balcony and the extra interior cabin shouldn't be too pricey compared to a suite for three.  It might be a lateral move as they say.

We have gone over a couple scenarios like that... really don't want her to be in a room by herself. Even looked at connecting balcony rooms. The prices have gone up so much since we booked, except with the 2 bedroom suite without a balcony, that it doesn't make sense to go down. We're still considering all options though.

She originally had a roommate. But her friend's dad has decided he can't go, and it's causing us to try to reconfigure who is where. Going from 3 rooms to 2 will pretty much affect everyone in one way or another.