Brazil cruises and Covid tests

neilp

Hi

Has anyone sailed from Brazil recently?  I understand I need a Covid test (PCR or Antigen) with 24 hours of boarding.

The MSC website states: Tests must be laboratory certified. A rapid antigen self-test is not valid for travel purposes.

Does anyone know if a video supervised antigen test will be accepted.  I have used these with other cruise lines but not sure on MSC. They do email a certificate through.

Thank you

30 minutes ago, neilp said:

Hi

Has anyone sailed from Brazil recently?  I understand I need a Covid test (PCR or Antigen) with 24 hours of boarding.

The MSC website states: Tests must be laboratory certified. A rapid antigen self-test is not valid for travel purposes.

Does anyone know if a video supervised antigen test will be accepted.  I have used these with other cruise lines but not sure on MSC. They do email a certificate through.

Thank you

I used the binax now test with telemedicine for my MSc cruises in the past out of Florida. I too am going to Brazil end of February, so I just ordered two tests online that we are going to bring and do there. If they are not good enough at the port, we will run out and get tested elsewhere (so we will try to get to the port early). Which port do you leave out of, and when are you travelling?

We are cruising out of Rio on the 13th March (back to Europe)  I look forward to hearing how you get on.

I'm really concerned they might not accept the video tests and as usual MSC aren't providing any helpful info.

• Like 1

Just now, neilp said:

We are cruising out of Rio on the 13th March (back to Europe)  I look forward to hearing how you get on.

I'm really concerned they might not accept the video tests and as usual MSC aren't providing any helpful info.

I am leaving from rio Feb 25. I will try to do a live review and let you know how it goes. 

2 minutes ago, neilp said:

Thats great thank you,  Are you on Seaview as well ?

Yes. Very excited!! Going a day early and staying an extra day so we can really see some of rio. I have never cruised anywhere but Caribbean so I really can’t wait! 

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2023 at 9:07 PM, FOXYDEBBY said:

I am leaving from rio Feb 25. I will try to do a live review and let you know how it goes. 

Hi, How's the cruise?  Can I just how you got on with your covid test. Did you do a video test in the end ?

• Like 1

This is from the South America section of the covid requirements banner at the top of the MSC uk website.

For Cruises from 6 nights:

'- All Guests (fully vaccinated and non-vaccinated) from 3 years old are required to provide a COVID-19 antigen test or PCR-RT test 24 hours before embarkation

Tests must be laboratory certified. A rapid antigen self-test is not valid for travel purposes.'

For some reason the Grand Voyages section isn't opening for me.

I went on a short cruise from Santos in November and there was a testing station up some stairs in Santos cruise terminal.

We have an email from MSC stating that it is 48 hours before the cruise. Testing is turning out to be a nightmare especially not speaking Portuguese, I know Rool that you have tried to help with the testing, which is appreciated, so decided to wait to see if Hotel can help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misscolina said:

We have an email from MSC stating that it is 48 hours before the cruise. Testing is turning out to be a nightmare especially not speaking Portuguese, I know Rool that you have tried to help with the testing, which is appreciated, so decided to wait to see if Hotel can help.

Yes it's difficult and it would be helpful is someone could put up their recent experiences as I last traveled here in November.

It doesn't help that MSC can be contradictory in their instructions.

There is a lab that will visit your hotel and yoy can speak to them prior by whatsapp. I'll look for the link.

1 hour ago, misscolina said:

I have also received the information from my travel agent with a link to the MSC webpage in which it says the COVID test (PCR or Antigen) has to be within 48 hours of embarkation for the Grand Voyages.

Ivi

50 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

Video monitored home tests have always been accepted by MSC.   Take some self-tests (a couple more than you need just in case) and use a service like https://testifly.de/ to get the certificates.

In my information it says that no self tests are accepted. A labor has to issue the document.

Ivi

I’ve also thought of going down this route, the only thing is that it says the certificate is published in the UK so may not be acceptable to MSC. I’ve been on the Brazil Forum with trip advisor and someone from Brazil said that most pharmacies can do the test. I’ll have a look back on there and post the link. 

Just looked on trip advisor forum, the chemists are called Drogaria Pacheco and most do the testing, he asked where we were staying and fortunately there is one about 200 metres from our Hotel and can find how to get there from Google maps. 

I am currently on the Seaview and disembarking tomorrow. We did have to show the covid test within 24 hours. We had bought the binex now and did it in the hotel room the night before. We had the results in our phone and they took a picture of it. It was flawless. I don’t know where you would go to get it but the way we did it was very easy. 

6 hours ago, misscolina said:

Just looked on trip advisor forum, the chemists are called Drogaria Pacheco and most do the testing, he asked where we were staying and fortunately there is one about 200 metres from our Hotel and can find how to get there from Google maps. 

I have been told that following pharmacies do the tests: Drogaraia, Drogasil and Drogeria Sao Paolo.

Ivi

2 hours ago, FOXYDEBBY said:

I am currently on the Seaview and disembarking tomorrow. We did have to show the covid test within 24 hours. We had bought the binex now and did it in the hotel room the night before. We had the results in our phone and they took a picture of it. It was flawless. I don’t know where you would go to get it but the way we did it was very easy. 

Is this in Brazil?
Ivi