Covid travel insurance mandatory for New Caledonia

dollyhouse

We have seen some excellent deals on P&O Australia in April and May this year, incorporating a stop in Noumea. Looking into it on the P&O site and Smarttraveller, it is apparent that to visit New Caledonia, you must have travel insurance with covid cover or you may not be allowed to disembark. 
The COVID-19 state of emergency has been lifted, and there are no mandatory COVID-19 related health measures in place to enter New Caledonia. Health authorities continue to recommend cautionary measures, including a COVID-19 (supervised RAT) test 2 days after arrival in New Caledonia and wearing masks on planes, in airports and in places frequented by vulnerable people. Travel insurance is mandatory for New Caledonia and needs to cover all medical and hospitalisation expenses, including repatriation costs and medical evacuation. You may need to present your travel insurance certificate when departing for and arriving in New Caledonia.

Any thoughts?

It definitely pays to shop around for cover. If you are a member of an automobile club (RACQ, NRMA, etc) or have private health insurance, these organisations offer member discounts. Also check with your bank, they may do travel insurance.

My credit card offers free travel insurance if I use the credit card to pay for the trip.  Yes it covers covid BUT NOT if the trip is a multi night cruise!  Grrrr.

Having been on two cruises since the restart, I am firmly of the belief that a cruise ship is no more "dangerous" than going to a large shopping centre.  The standard of cleanliness on cruise ships is superior, and many cruise lines have implemented a mask mandate in indoor public areas.  

Going to a shopping centre, or anywhere where there's a crowd is far more risky on land - you don't have to wear a mask (so neither does anyone else) and many organisations don't supply hand sanitiser for customers any more.

The only issue with cruise ships is that people remember the early covid disasters and assume that nothing has changed.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:26 PM, Zetta83 said:

Maybe I did not read my credit card insurance policy well enough, but it seems to cover international cruiseline in domestic and international waters if a min of $500 is charged to card. 

Some credit cards do include the necessary cover, some don't. ANZ, underwritten by Allianz, definitely does. However, Commonwealth which is underwritten by Covermore, does not offer Covid medical cover if cruising.  So important to read the details carefully.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

Some credit cards do include the necessary cover, some don't. ANZ, underwritten by Allianz, definitely does. However, Commonwealth which is underwritten by Covermore, does not offer Covid medical cover if cruising.  So important to read the details carefully.

My credit cards are with ANZ and St George. Both are underwritten by Allianz. You are right, do read your docs for complimentary insurance cover.

3 hours ago, Zetta83 said:

My credit cards are with ANZ and St George. Both are underwritten by Allianz. You are right, do read your docs for complimentary insurance cover.

Please remember that if you have two credit cards with insurance to only 'activate' one with trip expenses or other activation method. Have met travellers with huge problems who had two cards activated for trip if claiming. Neither willing to pay as required you to claim on other.  And when I made my first claim with ANZ travel insurance last year, the first question asked was if we had spent trip expenses on another credit card, other than the ANZ one being claimed.

• Like 1

Just now, Tripmode33 said:

Please remember that if you have two credit cards with insurance to only 'activate' one with trip expenses or other activation method. Have met travellers with huge problems who had two cards activated for trip if claiming. Neither willing to pay as required you to claim on other.  And when I made my first claim with ANZ travel insurance last year, the first question asked was if we had spent trip expenses on another credit card, other than the ANZ one being claimed.

But seeing yours are both underwritten by Allianz, should not be an issue in your case 

• Like 1