Teen allowed in Portofino's

I'm definitely not saying I would do such a thing, but how in the world would they be able to tell the difference between a 12 year old and a 13 year old? When you make reservations do they ask for the names of each person in your party so that they can look it up or do they just key in "Smith party of 4?" I'm just curious!!!

Thanks for the info. Looks like he'll squeek into Portofino's. Do you think it's OK if he wears jeans even if they have a few rips?

Gotcha !!! He has a suit...don't worry.;)

When we went to the specialty restaurant there was a table with children that were about 5 & 6, very well behaved! Also, as we were about to finish our dinner, (about 10:00). two tables were pushed together to accommodate a party for about 8. The first two to arrive were wearing very interesting attire! Let's just say if you have read any of the threads on these boards about wearing jeans in the dinning room than these people would have been over dressed :cool: !

I'm definitely not saying I would do such a thing, but how in the world would they be able to tell the difference between a 12 year old and a 13 year old? When you make reservations do they ask for the names of each person in your party so that they can look it up or do they just key in "Smith party of 4?" I'm just curious!!!

Honor.........integrity............personal responsibility.................

Lost arts?

I'm with Beachchick here. If there is a rule just follow it. They are for everyone's benefit and not arbitrary.

Honor.........integrity............personal responsibility.................

I am also in agreement, and would never bring my underage kids to the speciality restaurants....but, if rules are rules, why is it OK to violate some (if I am not mistaken, Beachchick gave some excellent advice on bringing wine onboard last month, advice that I also personally plan to follow on our next cruise...). Don't get me wrong, I am in complete agreement with both of you, but I guess I am feeling a little guilty about picking and choosing which rules to follow:confused: Any comments on my moral dilemma?

I am also in agreement, and would never bring my underage kids to the speciality restaurants....but, if rules are rules, why is it OK to violate some (if I am not mistaken, Beachchick gave some excellent advice on bringing wine onboard last month, advice that I also personally plan to follow on our next cruise...). Don't get me wrong, I am in complete agreement with both of you, but I guess I am feeling a little guilty about picking and choosing which rules to follow:confused:

Because some people only follow the rules that don't affect them. Funny how that works isn't it?

On all my past cruises, wine was allowed to be brought onboard. I suppose that rule has changed now too?

We are guilty of taking an underage person into the specialty dining room. I do have to say, we were not aware of any rules, she certainly looked older than 13 at the time (she was 12 and a half), no one mentioned a word to us. I think I would have followed the rules if they had been brought to my attention, though. It was on a Celebrity cruise, in Alaska, in 2004. I certainly doubt that any of the other diners would have even been aware of her being younger than 13. If they were and would have said anything, they would have made fools of themselves, she is so quiet and well behaved. She has had a lot of restaurant experience in her life and knows how to act, which utensil to use and how to order on her own. She and her brother (15 at that time) are pretty sophisticated when selecting food, they will order new things to try out on a cruise ship. If she was a PB and J, or mac and cheese afficianado, I doubt we would want to spend the extra surcharge for her dinner.

Well, now we need the cut and pasted suggested dress code.

IMHO if you have a well behaved polite child close to the appropriate age it will be fine. That rule is there for small children and those that are not polite and well behaved.

Hope you have a wonderful family dinner.

I just returned from the Jewel of the Sea, went to Chops for my Daughters birthday well behaved grandaughters 10 and 15 were welcomed. Lorelle

On all my past cruises, wine was allowed to be brought onboard. I suppose that rule has changed now too?

We are guilty of taking an underage person into the specialty dining room. I do have to say, we were not aware of any rules, she certainly looked older than 13 at the time (she was 12 and a half), no one mentioned a word to us. I think I would have followed the rules if they had been brought to my attention, though. It was on a Celebrity cruise, in Alaska, in 2004. I certainly doubt that any of the other diners would have even been aware of her being younger than 13. If they were and would have said anything, they would have made fools of themselves, she is so quiet and well behaved. She has had a lot of restaurant experience in her life and knows how to act, which utensil to use and how to order on her own. She and her brother (15 at that time) are pretty sophisticated when selecting food, they will order new things to try out on a cruise ship. If she was a PB and J, or mac and cheese afficianado, I doubt we would want to spend the extra surcharge for her dinner.

I think the vast majority of cruisers could care less if the kid was 8 or 15. As long as they act appropriately and are quiet during dinner. I think thats why several people have stated they had younger kids in there without being questioned. IMO, the cruise line could care less as long as a child isn't disrupting someone elses meal, they set an age to try and discourage people from bringing young children in who we all know shouldnt be there.

I have seen kids as young as 7 or 8 on all my previous cruises in Portofino and Chops and they were fine. As if they ID your children for a restaurant, it will never happen, the age limit is "makeup".

Directly from the RCCL website:

All guests over the age of 13 are welcome and reservations are recommended; please allow two hours for dining. To make a reservation, use the main menu screen on the TV in your stateroom or call the restaurant directly. Telephone numbers can be found in your stateroom. Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will be charged a minimum of $10 USD.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/experiencetype/experience/home.do;jsessionid=0000XQNT9tiYe_mZDKzR5L06vGQ:10ktmf05t?br=R&exCode=25

WOW, I thought I'd get a couple of hee hee's for the "can he wear jeans joke"...didn't ecpect such contraversy. Don't worry everyone...he's legal (aged 13) and will be looking handsome in his suit. He'll be the little guy asking the waiter (in his quiet restaurant voice) if the crab is "snow crab" or "king crab". He can tell the difference !! Cheers.

I am also in agreement, and would never bring my underage kids to the speciality restaurants....but, if rules are rules, why is it OK to violate some (if I am not mistaken, Beachchick gave some excellent advice on bringing wine onboard last month, advice that I also personally plan to follow on our next cruise...). Don't get me wrong, I am in complete agreement with both of you, but I guess I am feeling a little guilty about picking and choosing which rules to follow:confused: Any comments on my moral dilemma?
Yes, whale-watcher, that's an easy dilemma to resolve: carrying wine onboard does not affect the quality of anyone else's cruise. Taking someone underage where they do not belong has strong potential for undermining the expected adult experience of the specialty dining room.

JMO YMMV

Yes, whale-watcher, that's an easy dilemma to resolve: carrying wine onboard does not affect the quality of anyone else's cruise. Taking someone underage where they do not belong has strong potential for undermining the expected adult experience of the specialty dining room.

JMO YMMV

So it just goes back to the fact that as long as the rule doesn't affect you it's ok to be broken. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. A rule is a rule. Sorry, you don't get to pick and choose which ones you can break and then try and defend your position.

JMO YMMV

You are correct...there IS a difference...but of course, Mom is always right!;)

We had caviar on one cruise, Disney, Captain's Cocktail affair, youngest daughter 6 at the time, thought it was chocolate chips on cracker, the look on her face was priceless when she took that one and only bit. She does eat escargot now thought, made her try it, and now loves it, she will have to wait until next time she cruises with us to enjoy.

Just want to clarify since the subject of bringing wine onboard came up here. One, I always call to verify that we are allowed to bring a few bottles of wine not on RCI's list; it is allowed. Two, we always pack said bottles in an airline-approved shipping box, clearly label the contents, and check it at the pier (as well as at the airport, so nice not to have to schlep it through the airport or ship). Three, RCI still charges a $12 corkage fee for wine pax bring onboard and wish to consume in the dining venues. Now, if someone would like to explain to me how I am breaking the rules, go ahead. We all know what the cruise docs say, but we also know that the "special wine we do not carry onboard" rule applies, per RCI themselves; we also know that on almost all RCI cruises pax are allowed to bring their own wine to the dining room and pay the corkage fee. RCI has a corkage fee, therefore RCI allows a certain amount of wine to be brought onboard. And for the record, we NEVER smuggle on hard liquor. I'm completely annoyed about RCI discontinuing the practice of pax buying hard liquor in the onboard store and paying a consumption fee to take it to the cabin. One bottle of something tasty more than lasts the week for us. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to only drink my legally brought onboard wine on my balcony. No problem.

(And MOM is always right. No doubt about it. I would never disagree with that.)

beachchick

New rules beachchik. No more wine allowed. It sucks and it's one of those stupid rules that they never enforce. I have seen people bring corked wine to the DR since the change many times and no eyes are batted. I don't mind if they change the rules but do not change them if you are not going to enforce them. Period.

Actually, that's EXACTLY what I "get to do".

You, of course, are free to disagree. :)

Cool so then anyone bringing kids into portofino's need not worry about your opinion OR the company's wishes. Glad we got that cleared up. ;)

Cool so then anyone bringing kids into portofino's need not worry about your opinion OR the company's wishes. Glad we got that cleared up. ;)

Sigh. Why do these discussions always come to this? There are rules, follow them, they are not abirtary nor personally directed at anyone's child. Portofino's and Chops are adult venues, for people having a certain level of maturity. It's not a punishment to keep families with kids out.

In my opinion, the wine thing is a really gray area, since people are bringing it to the dining room and the waiters are pouring it. It's a mess and the fault lies with RCI. They have made a muck of it from the get go.

Sigh. Why do these discussions always come to this? There are rules, follow them, they are not abirtary nor personally directed at anyone's child. Portofino's and Chops are adult venues, for people having a certain level of maturity. It's not a punishment to keep families with kids out.

In my opinion, the wine thing is a really gray area, since people are bringing it to the dining room and the waiters are pouring it. It's a mess and the fault lies with RCI. They have made a muck of it from the get go.

Why are you quoting me about following the rules? I am of the opinion if there is a rule it should be followed. "mom" however, feels she only needs to follow the ones she wants to. Like i said, pretty hypocrytical.

And there is no "gray area" either a rule is being broken or it isn't. Whether the line enforces it's own rules is irrelevent.

Archived