Roald Amundsen…cabin 701

owensp

Hi

We're close to booking our first cruise ever on the Roald Amundsen for the 7 January 2024 departure of the Arctic Circle Expedition 

I'm keen to hear from others about our choice of cabin - 701 - the access to the outside observation deck would seem convenient but is this also a distraction when relaxing and looking out through the forward facing windows?

I'm in Australia and can see that the cruise is significantly cheaper on the .No site quoted in NOK - have another Australia cruisers (or others) had success in getting the Australian office (or your home country office) to match the pricing on the parent company's site when paying in NOK.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Peter Owens

We recently took the northwest passage trip. We were at the back, ME-850, overall, very happy with the ship.

Roald Amundsen is quite small, and everything is easy walking, so I wouldn't necessarily pick a location based on accessibility. Note that the bank of 3 elevators is near the back, the front one is a single and slower.

You will likely spend more time going up to the top rather than the forward observation deck. Don't forget if the ship is in motion there will be a lot of wind.

Those front facing windows on 7 are right at observation deck level.

Watch the begin/end carefully.

These windows behind her are deck 7 image.thumb.png.d8e983269f8e204411ac4f760a3d7764.png

You would have to check with Hurtigruten if that door in the middle is passenger accessible. I don't remember us ever coming thru it, we always came up from below.

Personally, we also avoided any of the balcony cabins with the red stripe as that is solid metal rather than the glass railing ones. Which restricts your view down and out.

There is also a design flaw on the Roland, in the explorer lounge, the front windows are very sloped, between that and how far back behind the bridge they are set, it's actually hard to see anything clearly. The front cabin windows look to be less sloped, but I'd be concerned. 

Marcus.

PS. The suite level comes with free laundry, which is very useful to cut down on packing.