Which to do in Naples

NCteacherlovescruising

Wishing on a star, same situation here.  I have looked up so many companies I feel like my head is spinning.  On Celebrity Beyond sailing May 7th, in Naples on the 14th from 7-5 and am starting to 2nd guess my dream of touring the Amalfi Coast.  Husband and I are not interested in seeing Pompeii and I’ve read hit and  miss reviews on Sorrento.  Getting ready to tear up my notes and stay in Naples that day.  

If you want to see the Amalfi Coast you can do it on your own, from the water, thereby avoiding the traffic jams and hairpin turns on the road.

You can do it entirely using public transit, or do a both/and solution and use a transfer from the port at Naples to the Concordia dock at Salerno, where you pick up the ferries along the coast.

Toward the end of the day you can take a ferry from Positano to Sorrento and change there for a ferry right back to the cruise port in Naples.

Or, going in the other direction, use a transfer in the morning to get to Positano and then use the ferries along the coast from there.  You could return to Naples from Sorrento by ferry or by train from Salerno.

Edited by euro cruiser

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2023 at 11:11 PM, RTR 21-0 said:

Wishing on a star, same situation here.  I have looked up so many companies I feel like my head is spinning.  On Celebrity Beyond sailing May 7th, in Naples on the 14th from 7-5 and am starting to 2nd guess my dream of touring the Amalfi Coast.  Husband and I are not interested in seeing Pompeii and I’ve read hit and  miss reviews on Sorrento.  Getting ready to tear up my notes and stay in Naples that day.  

What did you end up doing?

On 5/28/2023 at 6:33 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What did you end up doing?

We booked a tour of the coast, Ravello, Positano and Sorrento with Mr Taxi Cab Driver.  One of his drivers picked us up at ship around 8, brought us to each stop giving us plenty of time to roam around, shop, take pics and stopping along the way for pics.  Told us about the areas and recommended a good restaurant in Sorrento.  Had us back in Naples a little before 4, plenty of time before we were supposed to be back onboard.  Their price was 400€ up to 4 people.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hank,

I have been reading about your tips and advices for years. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

We are planning to be in Naples mid to end of May next year. We will twice in Naples during our 14 days cruise - beginning and the end. I have been to Capri and Pompaii in the past, but my DH has not. How crowded Amalfi will be in May if we choose to do Amalfi Coast tour? Most likely it will be a private tour. Thank you so much.