Best way to get from London to Amsterdam.

KKB

5 hours ago, KKB said:

I am thinking of adding a few days before my cruise to see London.

Is air or train better?

Time-wise the flight takes less than an hour and the Eurostar train takes about four hours.

But the train is city centre to city centre while if you fly you’ll need to factor in travel time to/from the airport. So they work out roughly the same.

Otherwise it’s really down to price and personal preference. There are only 4 direct trains a day to Amsterdam, and annoyingly none between 11am and 6pm, and on your travel day (4 May) the 11am is pretty expensive.

But the 8.16am and 6.04pm are both pretty reasonable still, and I’d recommend upgrading to Standard Premier for  more space. You must book in advance though, and prices only tend to go up so don’t hang around too long.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Time-wise the flight takes less than an hour and the Eurostar train takes about four hours.

But the train is city centre to city centre while if you fly you’ll need to factor in travel time to/from the airport. So they work out roughly the same.

Otherwise it’s really down to price and personal preference. There are only 4 direct trains a day to Amsterdam, and annoyingly none between 11am and 6pm, and on your travel day (4 May) the 11am is pretty expensive.

But the 8.16am and 6.04pm are both pretty reasonable still, and I’d recommend upgrading to Standard Premier for  more space. You must book in advance though, and prices only tend to go up so don’t hang around too long.

Thanks for this.

Honestly, factoring the time & cost for transfers, plus the uniqueness of a train ride, this looks like the best option.

If I go out on Thurs, that morning price is comparable to flights. Plus I'm finding that my carry on is an issue on those airlines so I would need to check, so more $.

Unfortunately its looks as tho I cannot get to London until Tuesday...I would get in 10AM but less than 2 full days in London feels a bit tight. I already only have 2 nights in Amsterdam.  Starting to think adding this London leg to my trip isn't worth the hassle & the extra $ as much as I'd like to go.