Kennedy or Cocoa or ?

sandym718

We will be on the Oasis of the Seas on May 21, out of NJ.  First port is Canaveral, but from 1 pm - 9 pm.  We are interested in Kennedy Space Center, but guessing that doesn't make any sense with how late we arrive?  Do they close at 5 pm even in the late Spring?    The other excursion we'd consider is just the shuttle to Cocoa Beach.  We'd likely enjoy some beach time and just some wandering around.  My daughter would probably like to go to Ron Jon's.  Is the shuttle the best way or would Uber be better?  Any other suggestions for other activities at this port?  I think we'd like to get off the ship for a few days at least.  We have 3 full sea days already plus hoping for an early embarkation so 3 1/2.  

Thanks for any recommendations/advice!

KSC does close early but sometimes the cruise excursion has arranged an extra hour and priority access to some tours .... but at best you'd have 1/2 of an average day which means ya ain't gonna see it all ... not close. I'm not sure but as I RECALL except for holiday windows they close before 7 .... figure an hour from docking (probably closer to 2)

Checking just now an UBERx from terminal 1 to Ron Jon is $13 (4 seats) and an XL under $20 ..... since the cruise probably charges this per person I know which I'd do . . . You could UBER to the Cocoa pier (closer then RJ & a lil less $ hopefully) ... enjoy the beach and walk to Ron Jon via the beach (hard sand at low tide .... I ride my bike) ... less then a mile .....

image.thumb.png.03930e2f535c62c6597fb0121582bde0.png

At the RJ end of the beach and you'll actually be at Shepard park which has facilities to wash off sand ... and nearby food drink and then RJ is just across the parking lot. Star marks where the cruise beach shuttle dropped in the past but I may be out of date on this part . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

KSC does close early but sometimes the cruise excursion has arranged an extra hour and priority access to some tours .... but at best you'd have 1/2 of an average day which means ya ain't gonna see it all ... not close. I'm not sure but as I RECALL except for holiday windows they close before 7 .... figure an hour from docking (probably closer to 2)

Checking just now an UBERx from terminal 1 to Ron Jon is $13 (4 seats) and an XL under $20 ..... since the cruise probably charges this per person I know which I'd do . . . You could UBER to the Cocoa pier (closer a lil less $ hopefully) ... enjoy the beach and walk to Ron Jon via the beach (hard sand at low tide .... I ride my bike) ... less then a mile .....

image.thumb.png.03930e2f535c62c6597fb0121582bde0.png

At the RJ end of the beach and you'll actually be at Shepard park which has facilities to wash off sand ... and nearby food drink and then RJ is just across the parking lot. Star marks where the cruise beach shuttle dropped in the past but I may be out of date on this part . . 

Thank you SO much! This is very helpful!  I think we'll skip KSC for now.  Just seems like not enough time.  That UberX plan to the pier, some beach time, stop for a snack and some shopping sounds like an ideal plan.  We'll probably do lunch on the ship before we dock, go spend a few hours and then head back to the ship for a later dinner.   Thanks again!