Underwater photos with my cell phone? what case do you recommend? (or not recommend)

newlaxfan

Would like to get some sort of case for my Samsung S22 so I can take a few underwater photos.  I like snorkelling but I only just putter around on the surface mostly, so I don't need something to enable my phone to go to a great depth -- LOL 6 feet or 2m should do it!

Any recommendations?  I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I took my Samsung cellphone snorkeling just last year in a Ghostek case and would NOT recommend it.  It was decidedly not waterproof, filling with water after just a short while in the ocean or pool.

Doublecheck the waterproof rating of your phone model before following this advice, but by the 3rd day, ruling out user error, I opted to go without a case.  The phone by itself worked great without anything and was sufficiently waterproof at snorkeling depths. 

I have since purchased a lanyard that works with your everyday case so that losing the phone is less likely in deeper water.  I bought the Nite Ize Hitch Phone Anchor, but there are many similar designs from competitors to consider.

Alternatively, my spouse was happy with the waterproof cellphone pouch options readily available from your favorite online retailer.  Pictures were occasionally hazy when the pouch fogged up or blurry when the pouch separated from the phone lens.  Overall, though, this worked pretty well.

The touchscreen is largely unusable underwater, so make sure you have a physical key (e.g. volume buttons) mapped to trigger the shutter.

I would highly advise trying out whatever your intended solution is in advance of your trip.  Don't waste time fussing with all of this in the ocean when you could be enjoying the snorkeling.  Spend some time in advance trying this out in a pool somewhere, or a tub or sink at least.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am following this because I want to take my iPhone snorkeling. The last time I did was in 2019, and I bought a cheap sleeve like a Zip Loc from Amazon, and it did not work at all! It did stay zipped and keep the phone dry, but underwater there was no way to manipulate the touch screen. On the surface you could easily shoot, but once it was in the water, it didn't work at all -- so disappointing!

So if you are checking in here, in addition to @newlaxfan's Samsung S22 , please also give recommendations for an iPhone! I like to do some breath-hold diving maybe to 30 feet, if you have a suggestions for a sleeve that will go deeper.

Thanks everyone!

The Divevolk Sea Touch 4 Max case - You can use it for diving (60 metres) too although we only use it for snorkeling as I have a set up for my mirrorless camera for diving.  All functions on the touchscreen are useable under water.  Fits my Samsung and my son's iphone (each uses a different adapter)

Canadian info found here:  https://www.divevolkdiving.com/en-ca/products/divevolk-seatouch-4max-underwater-iphone-diving-housing-iphone-diving-case-compatiable-for-iphone-12-pro-max-13-pro-13-pro-max

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 10:52 AM, Jonny C said:

The Divevolk Sea Touch 4 Max case - You can use it for diving (60 metres) too although we only use it for snorkeling as I have a set up for my mirrorless camera for diving.  All functions on the touchscreen are useable under water.  Fits my Samsung and my son's iphone (each uses a different adapter)

Canadian info found here:  https://www.divevolkdiving.com/en-ca/products/divevolk-seatouch-4max-underwater-iphone-diving-housing-iphone-diving-case-compatiable-for-iphone-12-pro-max-13-pro-13-pro-max

Thank you! I just put this on my Amazon wish list for our cruise next year!

Hi, I've used a simple Joto pouch case that has a seal/lock mechanism at the top. Never got any water inside, although I didn't test it much deeper than 6' / 2m. The phones today are more waterproof, so leakage should be less of an issue. I did notice that the above water pics were a bit smeary due to shooting through the plastic, so in the end I decided to leave it out of the pouch unless I'm actually in the water.