Early disembarkation

Fozziedoggie

Hi all,

Searched, but did not find an exact thread title match...sorry if this isn't the proper place.

We are on the Elizabeth this March with an overnight stay in Singapore the day before the cruise ends. Our flight home (mileage award ticket) has changed and we need to disembark the night before (ship arrives in the morning, so we would be in Singapore already for 12 hours before we would want to disembark). We would stay overnight at an airport hotel in order to make an 8:20AM flight. Conversely, we could disembark on the last day of the cruise if we are permitted to leave the ship NLT 6:00AM. Our travel agent has just informed us that Cunard refuses to allow either request, does this make any sense? Presumably, Singaporean immigration should have cleared all passengers on our first day of arrival, so if we're already in the country, why can't we simply leave a bit early and go directly to the airport? Once we dock the day before, aren't passengers free to go ashore and visit Singapore city at will?

Hoping we don't have to miss our scheduled flights. Any thoughts or insights greatly appreciated.

TIA

Fozzie

• Like 1

We had this scenario on the QE last October - overnighting. The thing is that everytime you exit the ship you go through Singapore emigration regardless of whether you are returning or not.  I don't know how early they start - but it probably won't be early enough for you. 

We were returning - but we went over the border to Malayisa and back - which apart from the online form filling (which may or may not be still in place by the time you travel) caused zero issues. Cunard had no idea where we went. 

For an 8:20am flight you need to be at the airport 3 hours prior - and its probably about a 40 min drive from cruise terminal to airport.  I'd be leaving the ship at 5am at the latest.  

So I'd say pick up your luggage and leave the ship the day before - anytime you want. Cunard are not going to hold you hostage and the Singaporeans will process you with or without luggage! 

Alternatively, don't book a hotel and check on the ship just before arrival whether you can debark at 5am - if not you can still grab a last minute hotel. Singapore is small enough that there is no real need to stay at the airport for early departures 

And this is why i don't bother with TAs most of the time. They always seem to only have 1/2 the story. 

In fact I'm pretty sure we got a letter in the cabin asking us if we were debarking early - I think it was so we could finalize our on board accounts early - didn't pay much attention as it didn't affect us  We were debarking but chose not to  do it early 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lissie said:

We had this scenario on the QE last October - overnighting. The thing is that everytime you exit the ship you go through Singapore emigration regardless of whether you are returning or not.  I don't know how early they start - but it probably won't be early enough for you. 

We were returning - but we went over the border to Malayisa and back - which apart from the online form filling (which may or may not be still in place by the time you travel) caused zero issues. Cunard had no idea where we went. 

For an 8:20am flight you need to be at the airport 3 hours prior - and its probably about a 40 min drive from cruise terminal to airport.  I'd be leaving the ship at 5am at the latest.  

So I'd say pick up your luggage and leave the ship the day before - anytime you want. Cunard are not going to hold you hostage and the Singaporeans will process you with or without luggage! 

Alternatively, don't book a hotel and check on the ship just before arrival whether you can debark at 5am - if not you can still grab a last minute hotel. Singapore is small enough that there is no real need to stay at the airport for early departures 

And this is why i don't bother with TAs most of the time. They always seem to only have 1/2 the story. 

In fact I'm pretty sure we got a letter in the cabin asking us if we were debarking early - I think it was so we could finalize our on board accounts early - didn't pay much attention as it didn't affect us  We were debarking but chose not to  do it early 

Okay, thank you for your insights. My "plan B" is like you say, disembark the day prior with our luggage and stay at a hotel. I can't believe that Cunard would refuse to allow us to leave, but like you suggest, we will confer with the front desk once onboard.

Cheers!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fozziedoggie said:

Okay, thank you for your insights. My "plan B" is like you say, disembark the day prior with our luggage and stay at a hotel. I can't believe that Cunard would refuse to allow us to leave, but like you suggest, we will confer with the front desk once onboard.

Cheers!

It would be a good idea to let the ship know you weren't coming back though so they don't report you as missing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

It would be a good idea to let the ship know you weren't coming back though so they don't report you as missing.

Of course, we wouldn’t just sneak off. Will definitely tell the front desk we are disembarking; just want their blessing 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 12:47 PM, LittleFish1976 said:

But they  are disembarking anyways - when its an overnight port stop there is no requirement to return the first day - there is no curfew 🙂 You can stay out all night if you wish 

• 1 month later...

We are scheduled to arrive on the QE in Barcelona at 7:00am. Because there are no departing flight the following day, we have to catch a our flight home on disembarkation day, and have to be at BCN El Prat Airport by 8:30am. The taxi-ride is about 30 mins, and we are prepared for self-disembarkation.

Considering there may be clearance requirements with Immigration and Customs (like in Athens, for example), what time may one expect to disembark to make a 8:00am taxi to the airport? Would there be pickups available or permissable on the wharf at the ship's-side, so as not having to take the shuttle bus?

Thank you for comments, especially from any with similar experience.