Advice needed on First Time Insurance & Cruise

DAF7065

I will be paying for the cruise end of February.   Looking for some advice.  Do you think I need to cover the plane?   If canceled I can put the money back in my account for future use if needed?   So do I need to cover the flight itself.   

For the Cruise and Medical part.   How soon should this insurance be booked once I pay for the cruise?  

Should I be shopping now for coverage and rates?  

In general any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Are you flying on a US carrier or foreign air line? Did you buy a refundable or non- refundable ticket?  If you are flying with a US company with a non-refundable ticket, the air line typically issues a voucher if you cancel. It can be difficult to impossible to get insurance to reimburse you for the cost because they consider you to be compensated once you receive a voucher.

If you are paying for the cruise this month, it is smart to insure your cruise fare when you make final payment. At that point, your money is at risk if you have to cancel. A second advantage is that there are policies that will also cover pre-existing conditions if the policy is purchased then.

You probably are not aware of the pre-existing wavier if you have never purchased travel insurance. It means the insurance company will look back at your medical history for a specified number of days to see if your cancellation is tied to an already existing illness or injury. Some policies even include family members not traveling with you. If they find a cause, the claim will be denied. The waiver protects you from that. Be sure you understand how it works before you buy.

So - yes, you need to be shopping now. There are a lot of pitfalls in travel insurance, especially for first-time buyers. I’d feel better about it if you’d get some professional advice. People across all forums on CC depend on Trip Insurance Store assistance in picking the right policy.