Ships not docking at Lanzarote as per itinerary

MadMichelle

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, especially as I can't find a forum for Canary Island ports. I've also asked in Cruise Questions. 

Is there anywhere I can find the probability that a ship won't dock at Lanzarote when it's on the itinerary? Or has anyone experience of when it hasn't? I'm looking to board there but it's not the start of the cruise. I have permission from P&O, but they can't guarantee it will stop there. I suppose I'm looking for the percentage of times engine trouble /weather etc has caused a ship to bypass this port.

Edited by MadMichelle

Small possibility of Lanzarote being missed 🙂 - but potentially big consequences 😮.

Can I presume that you know the Canaries well (second home there?).

In which case you'll know how easy (Fuerteventura) or how difficult (Madeira) it is to make it to the next port.

JB 🙂

1 minute ago, John Bull said:

Small possibility of Lanzarote being missed 🙂 - but potentially big consequences 😮.

Can I presume that you know the Canaries well (second home there?).

In which case you'll know how easy (Fuerteventura) or how difficult (Madeira) it is to make it to the next port.

JB 🙂

I don't know them well. Next port is Madeira after a day at sea. What makes Madeira difficult to get to? I can see flights from Lanzarote to Madeira, although over 3 hours long. 

12 minutes ago, MadMichelle said:

I don't know them well. Next port is Madeira after a day at sea. What makes Madeira difficult to get to? I can see flights from Lanzarote to Madeira, although over 3 hours long. 

Hi Michelle,

I'm not seeing any direct flights from Lanzarote to Madeira, all involve a transfer somewhere like Madrid or Lisbon, a total travelling time of around 7 hours.

Where are you seeing a flight time of about 3 hrs ????

There are flights on some days from Gran Canaria to Madeira, flight time 90 minutes but that depends  on whether you can get to Gran Canaria, whether its a suitable time of day and day of the week, and whether seats are available at next-to-no notice (and if they are, last -minute fares usually carry  big premium).

Since there's a sea day in-between you could check out ferries to Madeira.

Again, where are you seeing 3-hour  flights from Lanzarote? 🤔

JB 🙂

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Hi Michelle,

I'm not seeing any direct flights from Lanzarote to Madeira, all involve a transfer somewhere like Madrid or Lisbon, a total travelling time of around 7 hours.

Where are you seeing a flight time of about 3 hrs ????

There are flights on some days from Gran Canaria to Madeira, flight time 90 minutes but that depends  on whether you can get to Gran Canaria, whether its a suitable time of day and day of the week, and whether seats are available at next-to-no notice (and if they are, last -minute fares usually carry  big premium).

Since there's a sea day in-between you could check out ferries to Madeira.

Again, where are you seeing 3-hour  flights from Lanzarote? 🤔

JB 🙂

I didn't say direct. I also said over 3 hours long. 

Thankfully the options I've found are not as long as 7 hours, even with the stop-over🙂

Screenshot_20230206_162413_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by MadMichelle

Hi, again.

Yes, you're right, Skyscanner missed it - or mebbe I didn't check mondays or fridays.😏

We are talking about a monday or a friday, right? .

Not relevant, but also doable saturdays or sundays - via Tenerife, longer total travel time & more expensive. Other days involve silly-long flights and hundreds of pounds.

I had seen the flights from Gran Canaria, hadn't considered flying Lanzarote to GC

But the costs are still high - two nights accommodation, high fares for late-booked flights.

As are the risks - if just one of the two legs is fully-booked you're screwed.

Goes back to my original thoughts - small risk of the ship missing Lanzarote, but potentially big consequences.

Your holidays, your money, your risk - your decision.

Fingers crossed

JB 🙂

10 hours ago, John Bull said:

Hi, again.

Yes, you're right, Skyscanner missed it - or mebbe I didn't check mondays or fridays.😏

We are talking about a monday or a friday, right? .

Not relevant, but also doable saturdays or sundays - via Tenerife, longer total travel time & more expensive. Other days involve silly-long flights and hundreds of pounds.

I had seen the flights from Gran Canaria, hadn't considered flying Lanzarote to GC

But the costs are still high - two nights accommodation, high fares for late-booked flights.

As are the risks - if just one of the two legs is fully-booked you're screwed.

Goes back to my original thoughts - small risk of the ship missing Lanzarote, but potentially big consequences.

Your holidays, your money, your risk - your decision.

Fingers crossed

JB 🙂

Thanks for your input, it certainly would be a gamble and I may choose to embark at the starting destination of Tenerife just to be safe. 

• 1 month later...