Combined Cruises and Shore Excursions opening time

Pushka

I'm raising the vexed question of booking excursions and opening up of slots. Particularly for cruises that are marketed as a long cruise, which also consists of two separately marketed shorter cruises. So let's say a 14 day cruise, a 14 day cruise and also available as a marketed 28 day cruise (not back to back which is different)

Can those on the 28 day cruise purchase their excursions for the entire length of their cruise on their cabin level opening date? If so, are spaces held back for those on the second 14 day cruise?   

In my example, if what I'm thinking is right, it seems that those in the DV will be able to book their excursions on our leg, before the PV on leg can book theirs, and that V can book before the DV on ours. And even before PV can book theirs, one excursion is already sold out. 

I just noticed today that one port has had all excursions removed. Do you think it likely that Viking may be removing that port from the itinerary? It was only a 6 hour stop. 

40 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I'm raising the vexed question of booking excursions and opening up of slots. Particularly for cruises that are marketed as a long cruise, which also consists of two separately marketed shorter cruises. So let's say a 14 day cruise, a 14 day cruise and also available as a marketed 28 day cruise (not back to back which is different)

Can those on the 28 day cruise purchase their excursions for the entire length of their cruise on their cabin level opening date? If so, are spaces held back for those on the second 14 day cruise?   

In my example, if what I'm thinking is right, it seems that those in the DV will be able to book their excursions on our leg, before the PV on leg can book theirs, and that V can book before the DV on ours. And even before PV can book theirs, one excursion is already sold out. 

I just noticed today that one port has had all excursions removed. Do you think it likely that Viking may be removing that port from the itinerary? It was only a 6 hour stop. 

Your question seems like what happened to us. We did the last leg of what could have been a much longer cruise. Some people started the cruise in Turkey (I believe), we boarded near Rome. We disembarked in Barcelona. Then, the ship turned around to go the opposite direction with a new group. Well, by the time we could book any of the extra excursions we wanted, everything was SOLD OUT. We were in a DV cabin, but I think even PV cabins probably missed out on many excursions. 

Now, we take this aspect into consideration when booking cruises that are part of a longer cruise before turning around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Iloveketo said:

Your question seems like what happened to us. We did the last leg of what could have been a much longer cruise. Some people started the cruise in Turkey (I believe), we boarded near Rome. We disembarked in Barcelona. Then, the ship turned around to go the opposite direction with a new group. Well, by the time we could book any of the extra excursions we wanted, everything was SOLD OUT. We were in a DV cabin, but I think even PV cabins probably missed out on many excursions. 

Now, we take this aspect into consideration when booking cruises that are part of a longer cruise before turning around. 

How sad. We didn’t realise it was part of a longer cruise. Not that it would have changed our plans but others might pick a different itinerary. Just seems wrong for PV people who get their chance after the most basic room on the first sector. The impact is only just starting to be understood by passengers on the second cruise as windows open up now. 

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

How sad. We didn’t realise it was part of a longer cruise. Not that it would have changed our plans but others might pick a different itinerary. Just seems wrong for PV people who get their chance after the most basic room on the first sector. The impact is only just starting to be understood by passengers on the second cruise as windows open up now. 

I understand your disappointment. We ended up booking a post in Barcelona and using Viator to see Parc Guell and La Sagrada Familia . It actually turned out better for us doing that. 
Good luck! Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Just seems wrong for PV people who get their chance after the most basic room on the first sector. The impact is only just starting to be understood by passengers on the second cruise as windows open up now. 

But in this scenario, wouldn't this affect all cabin categories, not just PV?  Or am I misunderstanding your example?

1 hour ago, millybess said:

But in this scenario, wouldn't this affect all cabin categories, not just PV?  Or am I misunderstanding your example?

Yes it does impact everyone, but because there are so few high end suites the numbers don't really start stacking up until the 'masses' - PV and below, start having their picks.  

I'm just relieved I'm not the least bit fussed about booking the additional restaurants 😂. Manfredis food was wonderful but our service was awful - basically forgot us but loved the risotto and I don't even remember the other one. Loved the Buffet and Restaurant though. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1