3 more American tourists stabbed for taking photos in La Perla neighborhood

tallyho8

For many years tourists were warned to stay out of the La Perla neighborhood in San Juan because it was a major area for Heroin dealing and your life was in jeopardy for going there. Then it became famous after it was featured in the video of "Despacito" a song released in 2017 by Puerto Rican singers Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee. Yesterday 3 more American tourists were stabbed for taking photos there. Only year before last another couple were taking photos there and chased down and one was caught and set on fire and killed while the other was beaten but survived.

I don't think anyone on this forum should recommend others to go to La Perla for restaurants or anything else.

• Like 1

They were also told to stop filming and refused, based on what I read. They absolutely didn't deserve that, but I also feel like a little common sense and wherewithal while traveling and this could have been avoided. Dont invite trouble with the locals, no matter where you go. The previous couple was also purchasing drugs, iirc. Either way, I also think its sound advice to avoid the area. 

WOW!!

DW was at the Cemetary last week, alone, and had lunch at LA Gartus Yaz, which is right up the hill  in La Perla.  No issues.  Even walking back into OSJ.  Demonstration in one of the plazas and she took video.  No one said a thing.

I have always felt very safe in OSJ but have never been to the La Perla area. The first couple of times we went to OSJ years ago, it seemed like everyone we met there warned us to stay out of that area because of all the crime there and much of it involving tourists.