Question about passports while in port..

sherrintxs

Canadians are allowed to keep their passports.. We just returned 03/12 .. We carried our passports with us off the ship... I would not leave something that important anywhere but on my person!!

Irishnewfie, they must be trying something new...

Last year on the Carnival Victory we absolutely had to hand over our passports at check-in, I had a huge problem with this and was told if we did not leave our passports we were not getting on the ship...

Plain and simple!

I was repeatedly told by the "check-in clerk" and subsequently her supervisor, we would not need our passport, while in port, our "cruise card" would act as our passports should I get into any trouble :eek: (What a load of horse wallop)!

Thankfully, even though this was our first cruise, I was smart enough to make sure I at least had photocopies of all my documents, which I did take with me ashore!

This was our first cruise and let me tell you I was completely shocked by how badly we were treated both during embarking and disembarking the ship (Thats another whole story :mad: )!

I did discuss the situation with our TA upon our return, she too was shocked. After investigating she did confirm Carnival holds passports from non-US citizens to be returned by US customs officials at disembarking.

Fast forward...

For this cruise my TA contacted Princess directly, as I refused to travel on another line which confiscates Passports, I mean what would have happened if we had missed our ship or got into some sort of trouble, I highly doubt my "Sign and Sail" will get me anywhere?

Princess absolutely assured my TA that they would not hold my passport for any reason...

I think each cruise lines has their own policy, and maybe Carnival has changed theirs, but I can assure you... This time last year, Carnival was still "holding" Canadians passports!

Cheers!

CCFAN (Married to an Irish Newfie :D)

Archived