Gem TV HDMI imputs

Mrdell

Going on the Gem this year… would anyone be able to confirm if the Gem’s televisions have HDMI Inputs, and are they active to accept an external device to connect a DVD player, etc. Thank you for any information 😊

Cannot comment on Gem but our TV on the  Star had a swing mount and you could get to all of the ports with ease.  It was very easy to connect my long 25'  HDMI cable up to it and connect my laptop to it.  Looking at the cabins it should be on a swivel so it should be just as easy.  I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged in mine as I recall.  But was very easy I have a whole bag of angle adapter to get into  the sets that are bolted to the wall.

8 hours ago, fredflint said:

Cannot comment on Gem but our TV on the  Star had a swing mount and you could get to all of the ports with ease.  It was very easy to connect my long 25'  HDMI cable up to it and connect my laptop to it.  Looking at the cabins it should be on a swivel so it should be just as easy.  I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged in mine as I recall.  But was very easy I have a whole bag of angle adapter to get into  the sets that are bolted to the wall.

Thanks! Hopefully Gem will be the same!

As we recalled, sailed her just before Covid in late 2019 ... (already upgraded/replaced the much older TV monitor - to new'ish LG/Samsung brand TV exclusive for hospitality use) the active input source was a RG-59 cable/ethernet style signal, not HDMI and the interactive TV has a customized Linux OS behind it.  It wasn't too difficult to reach behind & connect our own HDMI cable but it wasn't possible to switch the default/active signal, and TV wouldn't boot or start up at all.  I don't recall if we had an universal App based remote on our IR-enabled smartphone to try overriding the OS ... but efforts were not successful - the mini in-cabin remote has limited functionalities.  

Good luck - trying ... maybe consider trying an USB-C to HDMI inline conversion and see whether the USB port can be used for signal input.  Between firmware locking and requiring a mini OS boot-up routine, I say very doubtful.   

Breakaway, Getaway & other ships using "Sole" branded TV with HDMI input as its default signal source ... those were easy, disconnect-connect-restore when done ... a 10' cable will suffice.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Good luck - trying ... maybe consider trying an USB-C to HDMI inline conversion and see whether the USB port can be used for signal input.  Between firmware locking and requiring a mini OS boot-up routine, I say very doubtful

Thanks so much for this suggestion… I happen to have this device… worth a try! 

• Like 1

I would contact someone who is on a cruise now  check some of the other sites where people show their faces and you can probably find someone. Alternatively you could check a roll call for an upcoming cruise and ask them to check and report back.  Nothing better than the horses mouth, of course their  breath is usually not the best!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fredflint said:

I would contact someone who is on a cruise now  check some of the other sites where people show their faces and you can probably find someone. Alternatively you could check a roll call for an upcoming cruise and ask them to check and report back.  Nothing better than the horses mouth, of course their  breath is usually not the best!

I am on the Gem right now.  I  bring an inexpensive universal remote to use for changing input to HDMI.  Works fine, just needs a little fiddling with the controls.  Connecting HDMI cable to TV can be a little tricky, based on where the input port is.  Also, HDMI port may be a little dirty due to non use, but it works. Just requires a little patience.  Good luck!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, harveyb1 said:

I am on the Gem right now.  I  bring an inexpensive universal remote to use for changing input to HDMI.  Works fine, just needs a little fiddling with the controls.  Connecting HDMI cable to TV can be a little tricky, based on where the input port is.  Also, HDMI port may be a little dirty due to non use, but it works. Just requires a little patience.  Good luck!

That's so brilliant it's almost diabolical. So elegantly simple. Well played!

4 hours ago, harveyb1 said:

Thank you for replying nothing better than someone is there right now!

4 hours ago, harveyb1 said:

Oh wow! Thank you so much for the info! Great to know that it is possible to switch imputs on the TV to watch personal content! …..can  you pass along what setting On the universal remote will switch the input??

1 hour ago, Mrdell said:

Oh wow! Thank you so much for the info! Great to know that it is possible to switch imputs on the TV to watch personal content! …..can  you pass along what setting On the universal remote will switch the input??

It depends on the brand of remote you have.  The instructions for the remote should tell you.  First, you have to configure remote for the tv you are trying to control.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, harveyb1 said:

It depends on the brand of remote you have.  The instructions for the remote should tell you.  First, you have to configure remote for the tv you are trying to control.

Got it!! Sounds pretty straightforward… thanks again for your help!!