Lima Peru as of February 9, 2023 - What's it like?

Mercruiser

We arrived in Lima Peru on Tuesday, Feb 7 for a Lima to Miami cruise on the Azamara Onward departing. February 12. Our trip from Spokane to Lima had zero problems. Arrival at the Lima airport was pretty normal for an international airport. We used Taxidatum for the drive to our Airbnb in Miraflores. The drive to Miraflores took about 40 minutes. This was around midnight, so there was very little traffic.

Had I not been following the news, I'd have no reason to think anything unusual was happening in Peru. The only clue was the extra police presence at the Lima airport. And even that would not have really caught my attention. I've been at other airports will really high security.

On our first full day (Wednesday) we walked just over 5 miles and probably another 5 miles in Uber taxi rides. Our most expensive Uber ride was 12 soles, or about $3.13 for a 30 minute, 5 mile ride. Uber is practically free here. We’ve used Uber for about 8 rides since arriving. It’s fast, cheap, and efficient.

Anyone staying in Miraflores will want to take a walk on the Malecón de Miraflores. We walked from the Parque del Amor, north to the lighthouse. We then returned back south and went to the Larcomar mall and the the JW Marriott. This was my favorite activity of our 1st day.. But I like sea-view walks anywhere.

There is a lot of discussion on CC and other places about whether it is safe to be in Lima. Based on our two days in Miraflores, I wouldn't even know there were protests in Lima if I didn't read the news. Everything seems completely normal. Miraflores (and Barranco) are very enjoyable places and the people are very nice and welcoming. To reiterate, we have had zero problems so far and are having a great time.

This morning, we went to the Larco museum to see the artifacts from the archeological digs. It’s a very interesting museum for Peru history. They have a really nice restaurant and we ate lunch there. Tomorrow (Friday) we go on a food tour in Barranco.

We have three more days to go before our cruise embarkation. So far, so good.

You can find more detail and photos in our roll-call, starting at post #318.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2841192-azamara-onward-february-12-2023-lima-to-miami/?do=findComment&comment=64794393

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the report!

Good to hear that all was looking normal. 

And good to hear about Uber being available and a bargain.

We will be in Lima next month (Holland America Line Oosterdam) for a two day port call and we remain very curious as to how things are going.  

We did cancel our pre-cruise Machu Picchu trip as the Machu Picchu site is closed. 

• Like 1