Gift Card added to onboard account pre cruise???

bar1068

I made the semi-mistake of purchasing a RCI discounted gift card from AARP, something we've done a number of times when cruising Carnival. I mostly knew previously AARP offered discounted "gift certificates", was surprised when I went on AARP's site to see RCI "gift CARDS". I almost purchased enough gift cards to pay the balance of our cruise fare for our upcoming cruise on the Harmony of the Seas, but before "pulling the trigger" I did some "research" which suggested RCI handles gift cards differently than CCL. With that, I declined to purchase enough discounted cards to pay our cruise balance, but because of what I was told by an RCI customer service person, that we actually could purchase them and apply them online, I took a chance and purchased a lower denomination card and tried applying  it to our cruise fare, and of course, it did not work as the rep explained. I did end up using their process of sending the gift card information to an RCI gift certificate email. They acknowledged receipt of the card information and replied via email that the gift card balance would be "reflected on your reservation" within 10 business days.

So, all of that said, where can I, or is there somewhere on RCI's website under my cruise reservation where I can see that card was applied to my  reservation, as I would assume as some sort of on board credit as we've since paid the balance of the cruise fare? I'm not seeing anything like that when I log on to view my cruise information. Our cruise is in May. Thanks. 

When I log into the RCI website and go to my planner ("manage my cruise"), I see my OBC in two places at the top of the screen (pics). I don't see the information when I look at the app. Someone else may know if there is a place in the app where you can see it. 

2023-02-13.png

2023-02-13 (1).png

Edited by jbrinkm

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

After hearing all the issues folks have had with them, you might not be.

Yea, I would agree. Not bashing or anything like that, however use of discounted gift cards on Royal, much more cumbersome than say Carnival. We've easily saved hundreds, maybe thousands buying discounted gc's on AARP and Allstate's websites and applying to our cruise balances and for OBC. The handful of Royal cruises we taken, we've seen discounted gift certificates in the past, but they didn't appear straight forward to redeem.

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

When I log into the RCI website and go to my planner ("manage my cruise"), I see my OBC in two places at the top of the screen (pics). I don't see the information when I look at the app. Someone else may know if there is a place in the app where you can see it. 

2023-02-13.png

2023-02-13 (1).png

Thanks....I'll look for it there.

13 minutes ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

Please tell me where to look on AARP for RCL gift cards. Very interested. We are new to AARP and didn’t know about the benefit of discounted gift cards

These gift cards/certificates are from AARP rewards which is a separate website. When you are on AARP's website there should be a link on the top of the page to sign up.

The RCL gift certificates are only good for the cruise fare-

1 minute ago, ngrund said:

These gift cards/certificates are from AARP rewards which is a separate website. When you are on AARP's website there should be a link on the top of the page to sign up.

The RCL gift certificates are only good for the cruise fare-

According to RCI reps I've talked to, they supposedly can be used for onboard spending. The RCI site used to redeem gift certificates has 2 options, to apply the certificate to the cruise fare or for OBC. However whats most confusing is that discounted gift certificates don't seem to be offered any longer, only gift cards, on the discounted which have different values to input into the redemption site. Also as I mentioned the email response I received when I emailed the gift card info the redemption site, says the gift card value will be added to my reservation, whatever that means.

7 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

According to RCI reps I've talked to, they supposedly can be used for onboard spending. The RCI site used to redeem gift certificates has 2 options, to apply the certificate to the cruise fare or for OBC. However whats most confusing is that discounted gift certificates don't seem to be offered any longer, only gift cards, on the discounted which have different values to input into the redemption site. Also as I mentioned the email response I received when I emailed the gift card info the redemption site, says the gift card value will be added to my reservation, whatever that means.

There seem to be two separate products-

RCL gift cards purchased from RCL that can be redeemed on RCL's website and these discounted "certificates"  from AARP those have to be e-mailed to some 3rd party to apply them.

This is from AARP rewards website:

STEP 1 Book your Royal Caribbean cruise vacation

Online: www.royalcaribbean.com

Call: 866-504-3941

Deposit Required at the time of reservation

STEP 2 Redeem Certificate

After making your cruise reservation, email a copy of the Gift Certificate along with your cruise reservation booking number to sharedservicesgiftcertificateredemption@rccl.com. The value of the Gift Certificate will then be applied to your cruise reservation. Please allow up to 10 business days. You will be notified once the certificate has been applied to your reservation.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

Gift Certificate must be redeemed through Royal Caribbean International for the US dollar value as outlined on the face of the certificate.

Certificate must be used as a form of payment towards a new reservation made directly with Royal Caribbean. Once the gift certificate is applied to the reservation made, the reservation may be transferred to your preferred travel agency.

Certificate is valid only for Royal Caribbean International sailings in USD and is not redeemable for cash. It may be applied to all ships, departures and stateroom categories.

Certificate can only be applied to a NEW individual reservation in USD.

Certificate may not be applied to a group reservation, charter or customized group program.

Certificate may not be used towards onboard credit or to settle any shipboard charges.

A deposit is required at the time of booking.

Certificates may be used in multiples and may be used to supplement cash payment or credit card.

All reservations are subject to availability.

Once a reservation has been made with a Certificate, normal cancellation policy, schedules for deposit and final payments shall apply.

Changes to the reservation may be permitted, subject to availability.

Certificate is transferable only when gifted and bears no expiration date.

Certificate is nonrefundable and not replaceable whether lost, stolen or if booking is cancelled.

Certificate shall be void where prohibited or restricted by law and if sold for cash or other consideration.

16 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

It was quite a while ago (pre covid), but when I tried to redeem mine on the website, I got error messages, so I called RCL and was told that the ones from AARP are different and to e-mail them to that address and they can't be used for anything other than the fare.

Luckily I only bought 2, so it wasn't over the fare

I received a $250 e gift certificate Christmas 2019.  The 2020 cruiseI was planning to use it on was cancelled due to Covid.  I found the original email, clicked on the link to redeem and chose onboard credit.  It looked like everything went through just fine, but never showed up in the app, nor any confirmations. 

My TA noticed that there was a random $250 payment in the history and it was not applied to anything.  I explained I thought it was the e certificate.  I emailed her all the info such as certificte # pin, date of redemption etc.  She contacted RCI and they said it would have to be escalated and it would take 7 business days to get it straightened out.  

Well, within 2 hours my TA received  conrfirmation of an onboard amenity  in the form of a $250 onboard credit and it now shows on my booking.  She emailed me the confirmation to take with me, just in case there are any issues.