New Pier?

texas greeneyes

I tried to post this before, but don't know where it went. :confused:

I have not been able to find the answer to this question using the Search function...is it true that they are building a new pier in Grand Cayman that will eliminate the need for tendering? Is so, when is construction expected to be completed? Thanks!

Newspaper articles within the past week or so indicate that this is a priority of the current government. They just took office in 2005, so they've got a few years to put it together.

Some of the articles seemed to indicate that this was indeed happening. I'd hesitate to say its confirmed until I see more.

From what little I've heard, there is speculation about initially building a berth for a ship or two. Since Cayman regularly gets requests for multiple ships per day, I still think that most vessels will be tendering guests to shore for the forseeable future.

I copied this from a Cayman Island paper:

The cruise ships actually would prefer not to drop anchor and ferry their thousands of passengers back and forth to land, but would like to dock in the harbor. That would allow their passengers to walk off the ship and straight onto land. A cruise ship dock would generate its own set of problems, such as creating, dredging and maintaining a huge channel for the ships, which could further damage George Town's harbor. A busy dock could also endanger the divers and boaters who go out to see the wrecks. For these and other reasons, Cayman environmentalists have resisted building a dock for the cruise ships, and the government limits the number of visits that the cruise lines can make to their island.

I copied this from a Cayman Island paper:

The cruise ships actually would prefer not to drop anchor and ferry their thousands of passengers back and forth to land, but would like to dock in the harbor. That would allow their passengers to walk off the ship and straight onto land. A cruise ship dock would generate its own set of problems, such as creating, dredging and maintaining a huge channel for the ships, which could further damage George Town's harbor. A busy dock could also endanger the divers and boaters who go out to see the wrecks. For these and other reasons, Cayman environmentalists have resisted building a dock for the cruise ships, and the government limits the number of visits that the cruise lines can make to their island.

And I wonder just what that number is? Also, is that supposed to how many ships can call in a day, week, month, or year?

Seems to me GC wanted a cruise ship home ported there, and it may be one of the sticking points. They were working on it until this beast named Ivan paid a visit and then a lot of other things became a higher priority. Sooner or later, it will resurface.

A cruise ship dock wouldn't have to be in Georgetown.

They did add another tender pier so there are more places for tenders to dock.

Archived