Birding on Half Moon Cay?

kelliebiz

Hi folks, are there any fellow birders with tips for birding on Half Moon Cay? Fruitful paths to walk on, particular birds to be on the lookout for, interesting things you’ve seen on the island? We will be there in two weeks and I want to make the most of our day there. Our current plan is just to spend some time wandering around away from the main beach but if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them. Thank you in advance! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 11:20 AM, kelliebiz said:

Hi folks, are there any fellow birders with tips for birding on Half Moon Cay? Fruitful paths to walk on, particular birds to be on the lookout for, interesting things you’ve seen on the island? We will be there in two weeks and I want to make the most of our day there. Our current plan is just to spend some time wandering around away from the main beach but if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them. Thank you in advance! 

We saw chickens. They were young and hung out near the lunch seating. I hope your cruise was a good one.

We met a couple on tender who were geared up to birdwatch on HMC, and based on their recommendation we walked all of the trails we had access to on the island. In addition to the huge chicken population, we also saw woodstars, bananaquits, some egrets, and some smaller birds we could not identify. We also heard there were also ospreys, but we did not see any on either of our days there.