Cancel for any reason for cruise thats booked but airfare that isn't

Booked an Alaska round-trip cruise for Sept 2024 from Vancouver.  Very happy with the price.  Booked on ship, so low deposit, I don't need to insure the cruise until final payment (June 2024).

But.... we are considering flying first class from Orlando to Vancouver or Seattle.  Coach isn't fun for that long of a flight, even if broken up.  But, flight is non-refundable.

Can I still get cancel for any reason (we are past the 21 day for the deposit on the cruise)?  Again, not so much for the cruise, but for the airfare that we may book a year in advance to get a good price and the flight choices we want/need given the distance. 

Can we split the trip into two insurance policies, one for flight, one for cruise?  Not sure how to book trip insurance that would include both cruise and flights given the flights aren't booked and have an unknown price.  We can't even book flights this far out.

Help.

(I was thinking of calling your company about this question, so this comes in handy)

Edited by shellunderwater

Better to wait for the experts to answer as well, but I have purchased separate insurance for my flights several times.

I pretty much always fly JetBlue- as I am purchasing the flights, an option come up to insure the flight (cancellation/interruption, baggage delay, and some medical with Allianz)

Just know that airlines ordinarily issue vouchers for nonrefundable flights you cancel. In that case, insurance will not reimburse because you have been compensated. If you want a cash reimbursement from insurance instead, be sure to ask the insurance company how to handle such a claim before you buy the policy.

Perhaps the IMT representative will explain how that works in addition to your other questions.

46 minutes ago, Babr said:

Just know that airlines ordinarily issue vouchers for nonrefundable flights you cancel. In that case, insurance will not reimburse because you have been compensated. If you want a cash reimbursement from insurance instead, be sure to ask the insurance company how to handle such a claim before you buy the policy.

Perhaps the IMT representative will explain how that works in addition to your other questions.

This is an end of season Alaska cruise.  We will be flying from FL to Vancouver.  Not gonna be cheap. If we don't do Southwest, we are wanting to fly 1st class. I know if they issue vouchers, there likely is no coverage.  But, if we book first class, I really don't want those bucks sitting in vouchers if I can help it.

I'm not so much concerned about airline issues.  More worried about life changes that prevent us from going and being stuck.

Appreciate your take on a subtlety of my question/issue.